Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Texas has new "slaughter" rule...

for Covernant High School girls basketball....If you win by too many points, you're FIRED!

Covernment High School coach was canned for winning.

The "talking heads" on news stations are blaming the coach for running up the score. What the hell is a coach supposed to do, let them score a "mercy basket"?
This coach to his team from a 2-19 first year record to an undefeated team, and played teams from stronger divisions to give the team more experience.
You talk to ANY basketball coach about "letting up" and "taking it easy" on a competitor, and they'll laugh in your face.

Maybe they should cancel ALL sports in this school because they evidently can't handle a winning approach in sports.

This is just another case of "wussifying" the sport and team for excelling in their sport. What's next? Maybe they'll just have an hour of shooting hoops without keeping score, and then they can pat themselves on the back and say that they all played "well".
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Whoever fired him is most likely a PETA member also
no idea what goes on
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
leo33

i think i read the team they played had a few players with learning disabilities.which is the reason for the up roar.
leo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The score was 100 to 0. The coach made a deliberate effort to get to 100 points. The losing team had 7 shots in 4 quarters, which tells me that the winning coach was pressing and playing aggressive defense right up until the end. The losing team was comprised of 8 special needs girls. The winning coach went out there and deliberately tried to embarass them with a 100-0 shutout.

You guys are %$%$%$%$ing whacked if you think this is acceptable in high school sports.

Slip, I'm shocked at you, especially.

Last edited by Mike P; 01-26-2009 at 09:22 PM..

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Nebe

tasteless.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
As in most organized leagues there should have been a "slaughter rule" in place and this would not have been an issue! Looking to fire someone??? Fire the guys who reffed the game.....they should have pulled the plug!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
JohnnyD

The losing team hasn't won a game in 4 years. And from what I've read, the school is for kids that have things like ADD and dyslexia. 8 girls on the basketball team, 20 girls in the whole school.

This "news story" getting national headlines seems rather silly to me.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
The score was 100 to 0. The coach made a deliberate effort to get to 100 points. The losing team had 7 shots in 4 quarters, which tells me that the winning coach was pressing and playing aggressive defense right up until the end. The losing team was comprised of 8 special needs girls. The winning coach went out there and deliberately tried to embarass them with a 100-0 shutout.

You guys are %$%$%$%$ing whacked if you think this is acceptable in high school sports.

Slip, I'm shocked at you, especially.
well that's different Mike, I didn't know that. I guess he deserves the criticism then. There are problem coaches like that everywhere I think, it's their attitude that is the problem. I just thought it was 2 regular teams.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

no need to full court press and throw up 3's when you are up by 90. He is to blame and should be fired IMO. Just plain unsportsman like at a school level. He is coaching, molding young people, what kind of lesson does that teach youngsters?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
luds
Night Stalker

I guess I don't understand why the special needs team plays in that league. I'm all for inclusion of folks with disabilities etc. but if a team is putting up single digits every game and consistently getting there ass kicked by more than 40-50 points a game it might be time for a change. I don't agree with the coaches decision but this was going to happen eventually given the scenario that apparently created by including this team.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
I guess I don't understand why the special needs team plays in that league. I'm all for inclusion of folks with disabilities etc. but if a team is putting up single digits every game and consistently getting there ass kicked by more than 40-50 points a game it might be time for a change. I don't agree with the coaches decision but this was going to happen eventually given the scenario that apparently created by including this team.
Because they're not special needs in the way someone might typically think of special needs. The school is not for kids with *mental* disabilities, it's for kids with *learning* disabilities.

While I fully agree that this was completely in bad taste, the whole thing seems like a ridiculous story that has only caught fire due to people thinking this coach is a heartless bastard who took advantage of a bunch of kids that may be autistic or with another mental disability.

They only have 20 girls in the entire school. Not really the biggest pool to select players from.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

In my book it doesn't matter if they were healthy in mind and body or not there is no reason to berate, belittle,embarrass,disrespect, anyone be it sports or in personal everyday life. Just not right to do that, especially at that level. Nothing wrong to beat someone at something but that is just way over the edge. Allowing that to happen is just not right and he allowed it to happen so he is responsible.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
In my book it doesn't matter if they were healthy in mind and body or not there is no reason to berate, belittle,embarrass,disrespect, anyone be it sports or in personal everyday life. Just not right to do that, especially at that level. Nothing wrong to beat someone at something but that is just way over the edge. Allowing that to happen is just not right and he allowed it to happen so he is responsible.
100% agree. But why is this story news? It appears this story has only caught fire because of a significant amount of misinformation. Basically, the true story is "Unsportsmanlike coach allows players to completely embarrass other team" but it seems the public perceives it as "Heartless coach forces players to disembowel mentally handicapped kids on basketball court - he also eats kittens for breakfast."

Just look above at this thread, the outrage comes from the misconception that the other team was not mentally competent, as opposed to just really, really bad.

Again, there is no excuse for it, just wondering why this is news.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
fishbones

The kids on the losing team are just bad players. They don't have learning disabilities that would affect them performing on the basketball court. The AD/coach has girls on the team that have never played before. That school has been very successful in other sports, just not girls basketball. The coach should either work hard at teaching fundamentals or get a coach who can teach them.

All that being said, the other school should be ashamed of themselves. To only allow 7 shots in an entire game is bad sportsmanship. And to keep putting pressure on until they had 100 points is unforgivable. That coach is an egomaniac who enjoys embarrassing kids and should be fired. HS sports should be about competition, but also sportsmanship. When I was in HS, we beat a team in baseball 25 - 1. Our subs were in in the 4th inning and kept running up the score because they didn't want to make outs. The next practice, our coach killed us. The next time we played that team, they sent our JV team and it was a closer game.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I agree not big news in this day and age but I think it also falls into the category of not right, lesson to be learned? and I think not right sells so thus the big story and maybe a lesson to be learned for every one. I don't know but to be honest I think it is worth a look to see why that coach allowed his team to do that and it is sports and sports is very important in our society.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
FishermanTim

Who was responsible for scheduling this game?
Why wasn't a "slaughter rule" put into effect?
Why didn't the winning coach just quit when they were up 50-0?
Why did he even bother to coach these kids, since they already knew what it was like to have a horrible season of 2-19 his first year?
Why don't they just cancel ALL sports at that school, since they don't want to excel in their field?
Why not have the winning coach banned from ever coaching again, because we all know that teamwork and sportsmanship are dangerous things to a child?

Doesn't this sound ridiculous? That's because it is!
The coach is ONLY responsible for putting the best team he had out on the court. PERIOD! Who's responsibility is it to make sure an opposing team can actually shoot a basket?
As a coach, would it be MY fault that the opposing team couldn't hit the side of a barn, and that I should MAKE my players "play dumb" to give them a chance?

Sure, it would make a great Lifetime or Disney tearjerker, but would only instill a false sense of accomplishment.

Would anyone give a tinker's damn if it had happebed to a college or pro team? No, we'd all be shocked that a team played that well, or that the other team played so poorly. We certainly wouldn't be calling for the coach's head on a platter.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

You are entitled to your opinion. I totally disagree with you. These are kids not adults. 100 to nutin. come on be realistic ,you can't see the problem here. 40 to nutin is fine. play your subs and give them some time. first string, full court press and 3 pointers. I can't believe you, as a coach, would push your players to do something like that. It is ok to win and win convincingly but that is just wrong, IMO.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Who was responsible for scheduling this game?
Why wasn't a "slaughter rule" put into effect?
Why didn't the winning coach just quit when they were up 50-0?
Why did he even bother to coach these kids, since they already knew what it was like to have a horrible season of 2-19 his first year?
Why don't they just cancel ALL sports at that school, since they don't want to excel in their field?
Why not have the winning coach banned from ever coaching again, because we all know that teamwork and sportsmanship are dangerous things to a child?

Doesn't this sound ridiculous? That's because it is!
The coach is ONLY responsible for putting the best team he had out on the court. PERIOD! Who's responsibility is it to make sure an opposing team can actually shoot a basket?
As a coach, would it be MY fault that the opposing team couldn't hit the side of a barn, and that I should MAKE my players "play dumb" to give them a chance?

Sure, it would make a great Lifetime or Disney tearjerker, but would only instill a false sense of accomplishment.

Would anyone give a tinker's damn if it had happebed to a college or pro team? No, we'd all be shocked that a team played that well, or that the other team played so poorly. We certainly wouldn't be calling for the coach's head on a platter.
Tim, you're missing the point completely. These are kids who are in HS, not college or professional athletes. They are not playing just to beat other teams, they're doing it to have some fun and maybe learn. I guess you must have been such a good athlete in HS that you enjoyed beating up on other kids to the point of embarrassment and never got beat badly yourself. Or maybe you're the ultra competitive "hockey dad" who screams like an a-hole at little kids because he was never a good athlete himself. Keep in mind that these are kids. If you have any children, think about how you'd feel if they became national news because they sucked at a sport.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
JohnnyD

Professor, I completely agree with you. Morally, it was ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
FishermanTim

I will concede that the score was a bit reidiculous.

but....
"...they're doing it to have some fun and maybe learn"

Learn what? How to be lousy at a sport and still win because your lack of skill has shamed the winning team into giving up?
And for having fun, if that was all, why the heck even join a team?
They could go out and play for fun with no pressure.

What are "team" sports designed for? It's to learn to better yourself and your team, with the potential to be the best at what you chose.
You learn teamwork and sportsmanship.
Would it be "true" sportsmanship to instill a false sense of accomplishment, "feel sorry" for the other team, giving them "charity points" just so you felt better about winning?

I believe this began with kids playing T-ball and youth soccer.
There weren't any winners or losers. They basically just ran around and had fun. In the end, every kid got a trophy for essentially "just showing up". Sure, they're just little kids, but at what age do you allow the kids to fail, to learn from adversity?

For the record, I was never on the "winning team" as a kid, but I appreciated the lesson learned from losing. It taught me to strive to be better next time and learn from my peers.

I also believe that the winning coach had played his entire bench.
Short of stopping the play (and REALLY embarassing the losing team) they probably could've played 4 or even 3 players to give them a chance, but then there's the REALLY embarassing thing again.

All I can say is now high school teams are going to have to consider whether their winning a game by a large margin is going to embarass their school, and taint their record, just for being a better team for that game. Or maybe they will have their game called on account of a slaughter rule.

Maybe they should have called the game after the first quarter, and prevented this in the first place.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
Duke41
got gas?

I have coached girls AAU for 3 years and let me be the first to tell you that sportmanship as we all know and grew up with is dead. Its all about the coaches ego.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
Bishop169

I have to side with the coach on this one.. sounds like even if he played his bench warmers it would have been a slaughter... I think the coach is being made a scape goat the real person at fault here is the parents. the school may have been special needs and should play there peers.

If you tell any team take it easy on these guys.. but next week another team they are playing some of the players may take it easy when they really need to play there hardest....

its not the coaches fault at all his jobs is to put the best team together he can and win games...

I agree they should have prob called this game at the half.. but the kids on the other team still would have been embarrassed....

The only thing you would teach the kids on the winning team.. is a mixed message

and the team that lost you would be showing them the only way they are getting by is from pity and charity from others.. The kids on the losing team would be better off being trampled in the sport it will show them life is hard and they need to work harder to get ahead....

If i ran a high school I would make this guy my head coach in a heart beat
Bishop169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

About the only thing a coach can do in this situation is put in the 3rd stringers......if they are draining baskets and still crushing them, the other team has just gotta suck it up and wait for the buzzer.

Gives them a lot to work on in practice.

If i was the coach I would probably put the 3rd string in and then try and get them to work on things like passing, ball movement.....stuff that might slow the game down, but you can't tell your players not to play.....then they don't learn anything.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote