Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #481
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Hot spots: Counties with the highest number of recent cases per resident, last seven days

Childress, Texas
Norton, Kan.
Jones, Iowa
Toole, Mont.
Calhoun, Iowa
Eddy, N.D.
Walsh, N.D.
Cavalier, N.D.
Dewey, S.D.
Hodgeman, Kan.
how about inception to date? how about death rates? is it a coincidence you searches until you found a statistic that fits The Natrative, and you ignored statistics obviously more meaningful, because they didn’t tell the only story you can process?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #482
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I’m pretty sure the main goal of warp speed was to help speed up the research and trials
I support warp speed but Pfizer didn't participate in this aspect (don't know why).
Old 11-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #483
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
how about inception to date? how about death rates? is it a coincidence you searches until you found a statistic that fits The Natrative, and you ignored statistics obviously more meaningful, because they didn’t tell the only story you can process?
Are we treating the virus the same now as when it started? You know we aren't bc we have learned a lot so comparing death rates then and now in this way isn't correct - and you know that as an actuary. It seems those areas didn't learn anything from all the deaths in the areas that got hit the hardest early.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #484
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I support warp speed but Pfizer didn't participate in this aspect (don't know why).
if hurdles were lowered for everyone involved in research and trials, which I believe was the main aspect to get a product to market then they did participate or benefit....they chose not to take research funding but they benefitted in other ways and they needed to step up their game to stay in the race...as a result of warp speed...that's why they call it warp speed...I'm sure if we go back all of you were mocking the idea
Old 11-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #485
scottw

Quote:
Are we treating the virus the same now as when it started?
we are taking many more precautions yet in many of the areas where responsible democrats are wearing their masks and distancing it is exploding...weird

if you think about...the BEST thing that has happened for democrats this year is COVID...with all of the death and misery, democrats are the biggest beneficiary...that's pretty creepy
Old 11-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #486
Jim in CT

Quote:
we are taking many more precautions yet in many of the areas where responsible democrats are wearing their masks and distancing it is exploding...weird

if you think about...the BEST thing that has happened for democrats this year is COVID...with all of the death and misery, democrats are the biggest beneficiary...that's pretty creepy
the virus and the media being willing to lie about it, we’re a gift to democrats, as was the subprime
mortgage crisis.

as usual, trump
didn’t help himself by acting so casual about it. his policies weren’t casual ( governors of CA and NY specifically praised him for helping them get what they needed, and those guys both hate him), but he appeared to downplay it in his words. the media fixated on that, and never reported in the things he did, getting hospital
ships where needed, converting the Javitts center to a hospital, getting respirators to hit spots, etc. zero reporting in that.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #487
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Because that doesn't get us out of it and your hero f'd it up
And I didn't search far at all

Infection last seven days is what counts if your goal is to reduce it and the only way you can is test, trace and isolate

Here is is by state

North Dakota 173.6
South Dakota 130.5
Iowa 110.9
Wisconsin 99.3
Nebraska 90.9
Wyoming 88.5
Montana 82.7
Minnesota 76.5
Illinois 72.3
Utah 71.8
Kansas 63.7
Idaho 63.5
Alaska 60.8
Indiana 60.1
Missouri 56.9
Colorado 52.7

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #488
Jim in CT

Quote:
Because that doesn't get us out of it and your hero f'd it up
And I didn't search far at all

Infection last seven days is what counts if your goal is to reduce it and the only way you can is test, trace and isolate

Here is is by state

North Dakota 173.6
South Dakota 130.5
Iowa 110.9
Wisconsin 99.3
Nebraska 90.9
Wyoming 88.5
Montana 82.7
Minnesota 76.5
Illinois 72.3
Utah 71.8
Kansas 63.7
Idaho 63.5
Alaska 60.8
Indiana 60.1
Missouri 56.9
Colorado 52.7
managing the death rate doesnt get us out of it?

if case count is what gets us out of it, we’re never going to be out of it. it’s like the flu, it’s not going away.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #489
detbuch

Quote:
if hurdles were lowered for everyone involved in research and trials, which I believe was the main aspect to get a product to market then they did participate or benefit....they chose not to take research funding but they benefitted in other ways and they needed to step up their game to stay in the race...as a result of warp speed...that's why they call it warp speed...I'm sure if we go back all of you were mocking the idea
You're entirely correct. Operation Warp Speed is not only about providing money for research, it consolidates a whole lot of steps and procedures that are normally required for the development of a vaccine in this country. It consolidates a usual 73 month process to completion into a 14 month one.

It reduces a usual 8 month process of R&D + preclinical trials vaccine candidate/s identified, and phase one clinical trials to a 5 month process.

It reduces a usual 44 month process of phase 2 and 3 clinical trials to a 6 month one.

And it reduces a usual 21 month process of manufacturing and distribution to a 3 month one.

Pfizer benefited from the regulatory consolidations and permissions to make this possible, otherwise it would have had to go through the pre Operation Warp Speed lengthy process.

Pfizer agreed to a OWS contract on July 22 and received a fast track designation. They definitely worked under and benefited from Operation Warp Speed even though they didn't accept up front money. And they do have a guaranteed 1.95 billion dollars for delivery of a successful vaccine.

Without some OWS kind of initiative, it would normally take several years to develope a vaccine.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-09-2020 at 06:13 PM..
Old 11-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #490
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

You're entirely correct.

I know, it would be great if the leftists could be even a little bit honest
Old 11-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #491
Pete F.
Canceled

It would have been great if he hadn't thrown the pandemic playbook in the trash and done the other steps outlined in it for control in addition to vaccine development.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...c-Playbook.pdf

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #492
wdmso

Quote:
It would have been great if he hadn't thrown the pandemic playbook in the trash and done the other steps outlined in it for control in addition to vaccine development.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...c-Playbook.pdf
dont forget he fired the head of the DOD

DOD takes lead role in Trump's 'Operation Warp Speed' vaccine effort
Old 11-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #493
detbuch

Quote:
What did Trump not follow from the playbook? Biden said that he did not follow page 45 COMMUNITY MITIGATION MEASURES. And Obama claimed that Fauci recommended the five bullet point procedures for carrying out those community measures. But they did not point out, as the heading states, that they were not to be federal mandates, but recommendations for local community action. And that many communties had implemented those recommendations. And that Fauci said Trump did everything he asked him to do.

I tried reading the "playbook" but it was loaded with suggestions and questions in the form of agency jargon and doled out responsibilities to a host of government agencies but only two things specifically for the POTUS--declaring a national emergency, which Trump did, and disaster relief and emergency assistence, which Trump did.

I happened on this article re the "playbook" by Breitbart (I know . . . I know . . . everything Breitbart says is a lie . . . but I found its summarization to be pretty close to what I saw in the pages I read):

https://www.breitbart.com/health/202...an-advertised/
Old 11-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #494
Pete F.
Canceled

The people who work in and run government are pretty good at understanding agency “jargon” and just need a leader to push in the right direction.
The reason he lost is his failure to be forthright about the virus so that he wouldn’t “panic” people.

Just keep believing
Old 11-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #495
detbuch

Quote:
The people who work in and run government are pretty good at understanding agency “jargon” and just need a leader to push in the right direction.
The reason he lost is his failure to be forthright about the virus so that he wouldn’t “panic” people.

Just keep believing
So what did he not push? He was extremely forthright in implementing policies which obviously indicated to anybody with a brain that he took it seriously. As for his supposedly "downplaying" it, everybody did, including the WHO, the Dems, the Press, Dr. Fauci, which obviously includes those who would know as much as Trump about the severity. Even Biden in those early days warned us not to panic about the virus.

Obviously, you need to believe that Trump's effort to avoid panic was the sole responsibility for our death total, even though he was criticized for his early travel ban, and that Dems were saying that it was OK to gather in groups without masks or social distancing.

You latch on to that notion like a dog with a bone--with the same lack of thought that the dog would employ. But that is a generous characterization. The more insidious truth is that you know what you are doing.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-10-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Old 11-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #496
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
So what did he not push? He was extremely forthright in implementing policies which obviously indicated to anybody with a brain that he took it seriously. His public statements did not reflect that As for his supposedly "downplaying" it, everybody did, including the WHO, the Dems, the Press, Dr. Fauci, which obviously includes those who would know as much as Trump about the severity. No, Trump never was the leader in the fight against Covid-19. Even Biden in those early days warned us not to panic about the virus. Perhaps he made the incorrect assumption that this administration was acting in the best interest of the American people, not Tweety's reelection campaign.

Obviously, you need to believe that Trump's effort to avoid panic was the sole responsibility for our death total, even though he was criticized for his early travel ban, He was criticized for not doing enough and thinking that just sort of closing a border would be enough and that Dems were saying that it was OK to gather in groups without masks or social distancing. The Democrats were following the guidance of Tweety's agencies, that you sometimes claim he was in charge of and other times say they were totally independent.

You latch on to that notion like a dog with a bone--with the same lack of thought that the dog would employ. But that is a generous characterization. The more insidious truth is that you know what you are doing.
Meanwhile, you repeat the party line.

Currently the Con man in the White House is financing his career after this with arms deals to the UAE. Odd that deal was the day he fired Esper and put Miller and Tata in.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #497
PaulS

Pfizer partnered with the vaccine’s original developer, Germany’s BioNTech, in March and the following month announced the first human study in Germany. The White House announced Operation Warp Speed in May.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #498
detbuch

Quote:
Pfizer partnered with the vaccine’s original developer, Germany’s BioNTech, in March and the following month announced the first human study in Germany. The White House announced Operation Warp Speed in May.
Operation Warp Speed vastly sped up the total process.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #499
Pete F.
Canceled

Operation Warp Speed works very well

The U.S. has surpassed 1 million new confirmed coronavirus cases in just the first 10 days of November.
And from the administration?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #500
detbuch

Quote:
Operation Warp Speed works very well
Yes it has worked well. Just like Biden planned.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #501
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yes it has worked well. Just like Biden planned.
The U.S. has surpassed 1 million new confirmed coronavirus cases in just the first 10 days of November.

Bupkis

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #502
detbuch

Quote:
Yes Operation Warp Speed has worked well. Just like Biden planned.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #503
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Operation Warp Speed vastly sped up the total process.
Stupid handling of covid vastly sped up Trumps exit from government.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #504
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Stupid handling of covid vastly sped up Trumps exit from government.
I have to commend you. You're very consistent. You can be depended on to say stuff.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #505
scottw

Quote:
Yes Operation Warp Speed has worked well. Just like Biden planned.
I don't think biden is capable of moving at any speed., never mind warp speed..very reassuring that this guy might be leading our fight against covid

Old 11-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #506
Pete F.
Canceled

Hey Scott
Get some sleep
You’re going off the rails.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #507
detbuch

Quote:
Quote:
So what did he not push? He was extremely forthright in implementing policies which obviously indicated to anybody with a brain that he took it seriously. His public statements did not reflect that

That is not true. His public statements announcing the implementation of policies exactly "reflected" what he was doing.

And you didn't answer what was in the "playbook" that you say he did not push.

As for his supposedly "downplaying" it, everybody did, including the WHO, the Dems, the Press, Dr. Fauci, which obviously includes those who would know as much as Trump about the severity. No, Trump never was the leader in the fight against Covid-19.

That was not a coherent response to what I said. Nevertheless, there were many times he led--travel ban, putting together a task force, etc. There were various people responsible for leading in their sphere of responsibility.

Even Biden in those early days warned us not to panic about the virus. Perhaps he made the incorrect assumption that this administration was acting in the best interest of the American people, not Tweety's reelection campaign.

Perhaps? Right, you cannot know what was actually in the head of either Biden or Trump. Normally, one would suppose that a politician like Biden would not act in a way that would agree with an opponent he wanted to remove from office. Your "perhaps" conjecture is counterintuitive to the degree that it looks ridiculous.

Anyway, doing what the American people think is in their best interest is one of the more reliable ways of winning an election. So Trump's political self-interest would correlate with the people's interest.

Obviously, you need to believe that Trump's effort to avoid panic was the sole responsibility for our death total, even though he was criticized for his early travel ban, He was criticized for not doing enough and thinking that just sort of closing a border would be enough

Being criticized for not doing enough doesn't make it so. Especially in politics when criticism is more often a means to harm an opponent rather to help him. Didn't notice much friendly helpfulness coming from Biden and the Dems. And Trump did a lot more than the travel bans.

and that Dems were saying that it was OK to gather in groups without masks or social distancing. The Democrats were following the guidance of Tweety's agencies, that you sometimes claim he was in charge of and other times say they were totally independent.

The agencies were supposed to be the experts. Fauci, who downplayed the virus, was supposed to be an expert. The head of the WHO who downplayed the virus was supposed to be an expert. So, in your opinion, all those "experts" were allowed to downplay the virus, but Trump wasn't?

And I didn't say the regulatory agencies were "totally" independent. I said they had executive, legislative, and judicial power, and are expected to operate independent of constant direction, but there is congressional, presidential, and ultimately SCOTUS power to discipline or overturn their decisions. However, that rarely happens and the Court almost always defers to their presumed expertise.

Meanwhile, you repeat the party line.

Currently the Con man in the White House is financing his career after this with arms deals to the UAE. Odd that deal was the day he fired Esper and put Miller and Tata in
If I repeat a party line, that is not my intention. My opinions may well concur with the party line. Yours don't seem to be particularly original and do concur with the Dem and leftist media line.

And you have yet to point out how Trump did not follow the Playbook. Nor have you pointed out how infallible the Playbook is. All you do is say he didn't, then as some supposed evidence you merely link to the Playbook without showing us where in it Trump was lacking. Maybe you didn't read it.

And as I previously said, Biden and Obama pointed out the part of the playbook that Trump supposedly did not follow. But what they deceptively pointed to were not made by the "playbook" to be federal mandates, but recommendations for local community action. And that many communities had implemented those recommendations.

I read most of it. Though it was difficult because of the jargon and constant referral to several unfamiliar alphabet agencies which I had to look up, I did get a basic understanding.

And there is not so much direct action to be taken, especially not by the President, there are a lot of questions that should be asked by the various agencies. And, as I pointed out, the two direct actions listed in the "playbook" for POTUS, Trump did.

The Breitbart article I linked, amidst a lot of commentary on the "playbook," said this, which is what I also found in reading it: "Thus while the Biden campaign has suggested otherwise, the playbook itself admits that there is no magical plan for containing pandemics, and that policymakers would have to learn and adjust over time — which Trump has done."

Very, very, importantly what I noticed in much of the first part of the "playbook" is a lot of reference to the host country in a pandemic, and the need for coordinating efforts with it. Much of the success against a virus would rest on that cooperation.

The host country in this case, China, absolutely refused to cooperate with the rest of the world. It withheld critical information. Created misinformation. And deliberately quarantined its people while permitting travel from infected areas to the rest of the world but not telling anybody about what was possibly coming their way.

If the "playbook" can point to a culprit in this pandemic, it is not Trump. It is China. Yet Trump haters gloss over that, if mentioning it at all. They let the culprit off the hook and politically pin the blame on someone they have desperately, in so many ways, without cease, tried to destroy. And their guy who is about to be President, and his son, got a lot and has a lot of money coming from China.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-11-2020 at 04:58 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #508
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Troll on
Old 11-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #509
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Troll on
Pitiful.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #510