Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
Jim in CT

CNN: everyone who voted for trump, sides with the Klan

Don Lemon:

“I am never on the side of the Klan.”

Someone remind me, in which party did Robert Byrd ( admitted, well known Klansman) serve in the US Senate for 51 years? Biden said Byrd was his “friend” and “mentor”. But that’s ok.

Meanwhile, Trump, for all his faults, did more for American blacks than any president in my lifetime, no one even comes close.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-14-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Old 01-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Tell us more

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
PaulS

TRUMP, on the economy before the pandemic: “We had the best numbers for African Americans on employment and unemployment in history ... best everything.” — Fox News interview Wednesday

THE FACTS: True on unemployment. Not true by a long shot on “everything” in the economy.

Black unemployment reached a record low during the Trump administration, 5.4% in August, as the longest economic expansion in history pressed ahead.

Most of the progress came when Barack Obama was president: Black unemployment dropped from a recession high of 16.8% in March 2010 to 7.8% in January 2017. Improvement continued under Trump until the pandemic. Black unemployment reached 16.8% in May, compared with 13.3% for the overall population.

Not all economic measures improved for African Americans under Trump before the pandemic. A black household earned median income of $41,361 in 2018, the latest data available. That’s below a 2000 peak of $43,380, according to the Census Bureau.

More broadly, there were multiple signs before the pandemic that the racial wealth gap had been worsening.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Well, some people can say what Robert Byrd did: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized for a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

And some can't

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
TRUMP, on the economy before the pandemic: “We had the best numbers for African Americans on employment and unemployment in history ... best everything.” — Fox News interview Wednesday

THE FACTS: True on unemployment. Not true by a long shot on “everything” in the economy.

Black unemployment reached a record low during the Trump administration, 5.4% in August, as the longest economic expansion in history pressed ahead.

Most of the progress came when Barack Obama was president: Black unemployment dropped from a recession high of 16.8% in March 2010 to 7.8% in January 2017. Improvement continued under Trump until the pandemic. Black unemployment reached 16.8% in May, compared with 13.3% for the overall population.

Not all economic measures improved for African Americans under Trump before the pandemic. A black household earned median income of $41,361 in 2018, the latest data available. That’s below a 2000 peak of $43,380, according to the Census Bureau.

More broadly, there were multiple signs before the pandemic that the racial wealth gap had been worsening.
What! Wait how can that be, Jim keeps telling us Trump is the best thing for blacks since Lincoln?

I love Don Jr. getting sh*t on Twitter for his 2026 tweet saying Dear Clinton’s you know what’s deplorable, getting impeached. Twice the fun back at you!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

I love Don Jr. getting sh*t on Twitter for his 2026 tweet

Twice the fun back at you!
Peg hid the glasses again didn’t she?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
spence

You're talking about the 1940's Jim, he later said it was the worst decision he'd ever made in his life. Are you going to spend the next 4 years twisting yourself into a pretzel to discredit Biden. Not that you have any history here
Old 01-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Peg hid the glasses again didn’t she?
I feel for you, does your comprehension fail routinely, sorry I didn’t reach for my glasses; I understand simple things are hard to grasp for you.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Are you going to spend the next 4 years twisting yourself into a pretzel to discredit Biden.
Spence is right Jim...why do you want to be like democrats?

Last edited by scottw; 01-15-2021 at 04:37 AM..
Old 01-14-2021, 06:35 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

So you are giving Obama credit for the unemployment rate returning to normal levels after a recession?
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
PaulS

I'm giving him credit for cleaning up the mess a Republican left him. Who says history doesn't repeat itself.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're talking about the 1940's Jim, he later said it was the worst decision he'd ever made in his life. Are you going to spend the next 4 years twisting yourself into a pretzel to discredit Biden. Not that you have any history here
fair enough.

as an obvious sign of how he had changed his ways, here, Byrd used the n-word in an interview. not a hot
mic situation, this was an interview. in 2004. clearly he was a new man, right spence?

remind me, how many prominent klansmen have been elected to congress in the gop since then, and were they revered and embraced?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...ry%3fid=121733

Old 01-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
fair enough.

as an obvious sign of how he had changed his ways, here, Byrd used the n-word in an interview. not a hot
mic situation, this was an interview. in 2004. clearly he was a new man, right spence?
I’m sure the phrase white n* was very common for most of his life and it looks like he was using it for impact. Not politically wise but doesn’t cancel him either. Seems like he managed to become a pretty successful politician despite his past.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #14
scottw

^^^^EMBARRASSING
Old 01-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
I’m sure the phrase white n* was very common for most of his life and it looks like he was using it for impact. Not politically wise but doesn’t cancel him either. Seems like he managed to become a pretty successful politician despite his past.
“h was using it for impact.”

every spoken word, is used for impact.

good god man.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
I’m sure the phrase white n* was very common for most of his life
so using that logic, if trumps
speech at the capital only used language he grew up with, that would then be ok?

that’s a pathetic argument, even for you.

he’s a democrat, therefore above criticism.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
“h was using it for impact.”

every spoken word, is used for impact.

good god man.
He specifically called it out.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
so using that logic, if trumps
speech at the capital only used language he grew up with, that would then be ok?

that’s a pathetic argument, even for you.

he’s a democrat, therefore above criticism.
Just my observation. I don’t think it’s an acceptable thing to say, wasn’t raised with it either, but I know a lot of people who were and they’re much more likely to use the word than most. A politician saying the same thing today would get nuked.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just my observation. I don’t think it’s an acceptable thing to say, wasn’t raised with it either, but I know a lot of people who were and they’re much more likely to use the word than most. A politician saying the same thing today would get nuked.
a republican saying it in 2004, would
also have been nuked ( justifiably). that’s the point.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
a republican saying it in 2004, would
also have been nuked ( justifiably). that’s the point.

He did get called out for by his own party and apologized.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
He did get called out for by his own party and apologized.
and all any democrat has to do, is apologize. you’d never offer that forgiveness to a republican.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
and all any democrat has to do, is apologize. you’d never offer that forgiveness to a republican.
If I believe them sure I would. Regardless your whole point here is to somehow tarnish Biden and it’s not working.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #23
scottw

Quote:

tarnish Biden

that's funny