Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Woodbuster

Grommet attachment

Do you attach belly grommets with epoxy or just do a tight press fit?
I see many older plugs with belly grommets hanging on the hook and was wondering what the preferred method was. Also what about the nose and tail? I know the wire holds them in place but does anyone epoxy those in also?
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

I do both tight fit and a little zap a gap

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Swab a small amount od 5 min. epoxy in the hole and slap the gromet in! Then epoxy around the gromet very well when you finish the plug.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
massmike

I counter-sink the belly hole before cutting the square ends off. I use .273 belly grommets and they fit snug in a 9/32 hole-- e-tex in the countersink holds the grommet just fine.
massmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Woodbuster

I was just curious because I dip my plugs after they are sealed and dried in primer. I do this twice because I like the fact that the primer is in the through hole and belly holes. The epoxy or glue does not bond very well with a primed surface. I may try the countersunk belly grommet however. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

What primer? Epoxy should stick... well like glue to a primer surface.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
John E
Who stole my fish???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
Epoxy should stick... well like glue to a primer surface.

Never had an issue with the epoxy not holding them in. I insert them after paint and before clear.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Backbeach Jake

I press-fit them.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
Flaptail

I have a shaping tool that Numbskull made for me. Put the grommet in the appropriate size hole, press and roll and voila, shaped to the round of the body and a tight fit.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
NIB

I made(ground) a tool out of a pair of C-clamp pliers.Basically to punch thru the shaft of the gromet into the wood.2 clicks an thats it..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
I made(ground) a tool out of a pair of C-clamp pliers.Basically to punch thru the shaft of the grommet into the wood.2 clicks an thats it..

that's what Stan Kuzia was telling me about 2 plugfests ago. I haven't made one yet but if I use grommets, that's how I'd like to do them.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
Backbeach Jake

I put a dowel in my drill press chuck and press them in.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

after Painting I use 2 part Epoxy to hold in the grommet and eyes then E-tex over.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

i knew I had seen this somewhere

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...highlight=jigs

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
that's what Stan Kuzia was telling me about 2 plugfests ago. I haven't made one yet but if I use grommets, that's how I'd like to do them.
LOL. First thing he ask's me everytime I see him. Did you make that tool yet. Asked me about 5 years ago. I keep forgetting. I told him I don't need one as I use a drill that is only slightly smaller than the OD of the grommet so they are always snug and so no problem, which is why it is never on my mind. One of these days I will make one and have it ready so when he ask's me I can whip it out and make his day. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by massmike View Post
I counter-sink the belly hole before cutting the square ends off. I use .273 belly grommets and they fit snug in a 9/32 hole-- e-tex in the countersink holds the grommet just fine.
I do mine the same exact way. I also round my grommets like AH's pics in the link NF posted.

NIB........could you post a pic???
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
I put a dowel in my drill press chuck and press them in.
Fred, do you have any denting problems on the back of the plug with your method.?

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I think NIB means snap ring pliers. That is what i would use if i was going to try and modify something, pliers that open out.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Here is a couple chart's that should help you all at one time or another.
http://internetwoodworking.com/w5/equivs.html
http://www.newmantools.com/decinch.htm
MM conversion chart too. Simple formula is the mm is multiplied by .03937, which is constant. Thus 8mm x .03937 = .31496, pretty close to 5/16.
I use a letter "I " drill for the .273 grommets and I use an 11/32 for the larger grommets. They fit snug. I sometimes have to take an exacto knife to clean out the paint and sealer as the hole once and a while will be too snug but not a real problem and easy to fix. The only problem is the they are not forstner bits which most like to use, but my drilling set up is probably different than most. Might not be what people are looking for, but the charts are worth knowing.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Fred, do you have any denting problems on the back of the plug with your method.?
I use either a shop rag folded 4-5 times or a piece of eva foam if I can find it. My shop looks like it exploded.

Thomas Paine
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
NIB

Snap ring pliers or any pliers that open out are correct..
Can't do pics..
If I had to decribe em I would say when I am done grinding they look like a T on top of a triangle.I< kinda like that from the side..If u get the angle right it holds the grommet down as u apply pressure then when u squeeze the pliers they punch the inside wall of the grommet out an it makes 2 little holes. The metal that puhes out goes into the wood an holds the grommet..of course this in conjunction with a tight hole is a good thing..

FORE!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #22
Woodbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Snap ring pliers or any pliers that open out are correct..
I have a pair that converts for both interior and exterior snap rings but they dont look like they would exert enough pressure to make a divot in the grommet collar.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #23
Diamond Tackle

Not to argue or disagree with any of the above posts,but IMO I would NOT suggets piercing wood that has been sealed, primed & painted, etc ESP around the grommet holes. This is just an invitaion for water intrusion.You would not put pin holes in the body of the plug after sealing would you ?
Simply epoxy them in place, if they are recessed just a dab of epoxy is all it takes on the flat spot, or under the rolled flange, this is not rocket science. You also dont need a very tight fit cause the epoxy needs a place to go.
just my .02

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Woodbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Not to argue or disagree with any of the above posts,but IMO I would NOT suggets piercing wood that has been sealed, primed & painted, etc ESP around the grommet holes. This is just an invitaion for water intrusion.You would not put pin holes in the body of the plug after sealing would you ?

Tinman,
I agree that piercing the wood is not a good thing but if I understand correctly the described procedure does not pierce the sealer or the primer. I think it just dimples the collar of the grommet into the wood and makes kind of a mechanical connection similar to crimping a wire connector without solder.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #25
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

try to get the gromets out of an old CCBC just like Nib said.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #26
NIB

recessing em is a nice look.it's also another step.The problem is when u epoxy em they are only sticking to the paint.If u use a water base paint an set the grommet prior to the finish epoxy coat They can let go.I feel better with some kinda mechanical bond even if it does make a small hole for water to get in.. OMG....

FORE!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #27
Rockfish9

I spot face with the belly hole for the gromet ( I use two different sizes of gromets depending on the plug),then drill my belly hole with another (smaller foshner bit) I dunk all my plugs in primer, then spray the final coat of primer after painting I do as many others do, swab the entire hole (spot face too) with 5 minute epoxy.. and push the gromet in to place..when I E-tex I carefully brush e-tex onto the edges of the gromet... after curing, any e-tex that is inside the gromet is removed with a carbide countersink... it works great..... I've never had an adhesion problem doing things this way...
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote