Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
jnski

follow up to finish question..experiment

As promised, I decided to try a little experiment. Previously I had posted about epoxy adhesion problems with metalliic paints. The epoxy would take on a wavey patern when cured, couldn't hold well. So...On the suggestion of a fellow builder to use spray fixativ to cover my signature, i thought why wouldn't this work on a larger area of a plug? So, the experiment. One side of a small scrap of AYC was sprayed with rustoleum blue metallic paint. The other side the same, except when it dried I shot a coat of krylon spray fixativ over it. epoxy over both sides, hung, and flipped after first hour, and again after second hour.
Here are pics of the results.
top one is with fixativ, bottom one is without:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fixativ.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	13755

Click image for larger version

Name:	nonfixativ.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	13756

You can see the wavy appearance of the non fixativ side. Other side looks pretty good. Both sides look a bit bumpy, due to the fact that this was leftover epoxy with a bit of glamour dust in it, but I think you can see the results were good with the fixativ. Not sure how it will hold up, but it looks like I will give the fixativ a try with any plug that has this blue metallic, or other metallic colors on it. Something else I may try is to give a quick shot of fixativ over anything I plan on hitting with metallic spray, looks like it may help with adhesion problems between metallic/ non metallic paints. Again, not sure how everything will hold up long term.
hope this helps someone out.

Last edited by jnski; 01-21-2006 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Last Cast, No, Really!
jnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
FlukinUki

Thanks Jnski, Keep us posted on what you figure out.
FlukinUki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
NIB

I remember foir a time Salty bugger tried usin fixative as a bonding agent for his epoxy.Not sure wat happened but I'm pretty sure he no longer uses it.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

laquer over enamel shouldn't be done unless it's sprayed wet together. One will eat the other most times.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote