Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
castn4bass
Plug Ho, Wannabe!

Talking Plugfest, WOW

Just got back , and WOW are there some talented individuals in this group. Great bunch of guys too! Was nice to meet and talk with you all! I didn't get to see who won the contests so PLEASE let me know !!!!

the most uncommon thing you can possess,.................. is.............. common sense!
castn4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

GREAT TIME!!!! nice to see old faces and meet some new ones, what a talented bunch competition had awesome pluggage - congrats to all!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Had a great time....guy's are rasing the bar big time on making lure's....lot's of PISSA lookin stuff.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
PNG

Can we have a do-over?

I want more of that fat free food
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

My eyeballs hurt from staring at plugs. Like welding without a shield. Boy , the ideas that I got. All I have to do is remember them. Thanks Slipknot and possee. You guys are truly most pissa!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Don't forget Canalman and a few others who ran the show...and thanks to all who spoke and displayed!

Had a great time as usual....nice to see all I saw and great talking face to face with many great folk!

Great pluggage and lots to see.....so many great examples of mega-talented wood spinning freaks!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

yes great time indeed.

i got wood.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

WOW is an understatement for sure. That's too much plug activity for one day
We couldn't have done it without lots of help from all of you and I got lots of help from Canalman(perrenial 1st place winner of plug-off), JohnR and all those that brought stuff to help out - Diggin Jiggin,numbskull,tagger,V.B.,Flaptail, salty,steelhead,capesams, all those others who displayed plugs, MikeCC, all those who entered plugs in the great plug-off, all those who brought food and everyone else who helped out especially Numbskull for the demo on handcarving, DZ for the needlefish presentation, and Fishing Freak for painting plugs in front of people and anyone else I forgot.
I was very impressed with Numbskull and want to nominate George as plugmaker of the year
Some of the stuff all you guys do with wood simply amazes me
Karl , thanks, I'll use that plug you gave me this year and do my best to get fish on it And thanks diggin jiggin for that fishy swimmer let me know what hooks to use if you have time.
Tagger, thanks for bringing Angler#1 and the legend Stan Kuzia of course I learned a few more things from speaking to him today.
All in all I think the day went along pretty well. Nobody made any sawdust but it sure was fun. You guys are the best.
Good to see some long distance travellers as well and meet some new faces to go with the names.
Glad to see you Justplugit, you're the best.
I'm glad I got to speak to and see some of the work from the new guys on the block, your accomplishment are a real testament of the wealth of information on the website, good work and nice plugs.
Like BackbeachJake said, today sure got the juices flowing to inspire some plug turning

thanks again everyone

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

PlugFest 2006 - thanks and official results:

First I want to thank Slipknot and Canalman for all of the work they did in helping with the arrangements and working the show - thanks - you two were the cat's ### today

Also big thanks to PNG at the door, Swimmer & SKD for managing the raffle and IFG for the vocal substitution and who could forget Fishpart's son and StriperDan's son for keeping us all on our toes to make sure the Door prizes went off precisely every 60 minutes and to keep on top of the raffle as they did .

Numbskull, Steelhead, and DZ for their presentaions.

CS, Flap & Stifftip, VB, Adam R for bringing their collections. I'm sure I'm probably forgetting someone but I just walked in the door and want to get a big thanks out

Booger, MikeCC, and NJ Tackle (though not in body but in spirit - great door prizes)

Everyone that pitched in here and there,Mac and F18, Link, etc, and all who donated stuff to the raffle and bought tickets and grub.

Now - how did today go? The work you all do is unbelieveable, really. Nothing else I can say, between works of art and works of fishology - this stuff rocks!

The short version is that we had 23 plugs entered in the competition with 5 categories; Best of Show, Best Paint/Finish, Most Classic, Most Original, and Most Likely to Catch a Cow. Everyone had the opportunity to vote for their favorite plugs in each category and the most votes one - with bragging rights and a Certificate for the ManCave each (click on the link to get an idea of the certificates http://striped-bass.com/images/pf06awards.jpg )

We also took a tally of ALL votes and awarded, by most points, places 1 through 5, prizes of Gift Certificates to Amazon Tools, S-B Sponsors, and for 5th place (and the only actual prize present today) - a box of Twinkies .

And I hope I have the order of all these right because I did not have my camera but the winners, as voted by the attendees, were:

Best of Show: Canalman

Best Paint/Finish: FishingFreak

Most Classic: 3 Way Tie - IFishGibbs, Flaptail, CapeSams (Flap and CS will get their certificated later on)

Most Original: Striperknight

Most Likely to Catch a Cow: Throwing Timber

The points total put the dinero based prizes at:

1st: Canalman

2nd: Striperknight

3rd: FishinFreak

4th: Numbskull

5th: and proud recipient of Twinkies, Throwing Timber

Now with the most classic, we had an unusual 3 way tie - IFG, CS, and Flap - that says something. Also of interest, Numbskull, who did not come in tops overall in one particular category, did tally enough points across the board to be in prize money for the overall - I thought that was pretty cool

So places 1st and 2nd, email me the email address and name you use for Amazon so I can get those email certificates in your name. For 3rd and 4th places, chose one of S-B's sponsors where you want to spend the dough and I'll make arrangements with them. For 5th, I think they have already been eaten.

Hopefully someone can post the pictures from tady - as always, it was an eye opening blast!

Great seeing old freinds and new people for the first time! Great work everyone!!!!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
Lower

Definitly nice putting some faces to names! I had a great time. Thanks agian to everyone who put the time and effort into pulling it off.

Lastly, thanks to all the builders out there wiliing to help out a new guy like me. Your feedback and compliments made my day!
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
pops

pictures for out of state jonesers' ?
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
Flaptail

Thumbs up

Great day! Afeast for the eys to be sure. I want to second Numbskull (aka George C. ) For Plugmaker of the year. His talk shaved not only layers of the wood he was working on in the demo but years off of everyone's learning curves. I know he has helped me and I WANT TO PUBLICLY THANK HIM !!!!!!! GEORGE YOUR THE GREATEST!!

Having Stan Kuzia there made my day. I hope everyone realized we had a living legend and one of the last of the old guard there today.

Dave, Slip, Salty, Mikecc and in absentia the boys at NJ Tackle thank you for your effort!

Capesams you don't know how honored I was to be tied with you in the classic run off.

VB, AdamR, DZ, thanks for sharing your classics and knowledge with the rest of us.

Mike "FishingFreak" D's painting demo was awesome as was Steelheads tying demo. Thanks!

Karl, thanks for the dowels! Nice pinkies you had there.

Vic the twinkies were gone before we reached the hi-way!

And as for the rest of you reprobates ( Clammer is the leader of the pack there) nice gabbibg, swaping info and sharing a morsel or two!

Can't wait for Plugnight at MSBA next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
missing link

Had a great time ,the place was jammin. Could someone post the the results of the no name plug thing I voted on .
The food was TASTY !!!!!!!! CHOWDAH yummie.
There are alot of talented builders I'm glad just have a chance to mingle with you guys.
I won a door prize ,,scored a sweet popper from a new member " Surf Dog Mike" that will be one of the first plugs I toss early to mid March and will catch.
Karl F, Link Jr. says thanks
Later, Link Sr

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Being a rookie and this being my first show I was amazed at how friendly and open everyone was at the plugfest. I hope that I can remember most of what I learned today. I think I l;earned more today than in the four months I've been harboring this turning addiction. It was great to meet some of the people and put the real face with the name.

Thanks to all who put all the time into organizing the show I can't wait until next year. Seeing all the work put out by the other builders has raised the bar for me and given me inspiration for the months to come.

Come on stripers spring is almost here.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Another great time . Thanks to all who ran the show. The workmanship was staggering and best of all was putting faces to names. A real nice bunch of guys for sure. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #16
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

secret stash

so i keep tellling myself. thats it! no more plugs for a while.
and this is what i come home with.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #17
Squid kids Dad

Had a great time today..As others have said seeing old friends and meeting new ones..Plugs,plugs plugs = eyecandy eyecandy,eyecandy..Even won a plug that was entered in the contest..Dont know who built it but its awesome..A nice plug just cleared, showing woodgrain...Anybody know who did it ???....I cant wait for the TFCTFN now,,BBJ One of these times I have to meet you...Name tags is what we need!!!

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
Nebe

wish i could have gone

I hate work
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #19
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Numbskull gets my vote for Plug Builder of the year ,and I haven't been bribed .. Flap not to shabby .. amazing really .. Lots of new ideas,, handcarves are sick ,,, Great job Slip, John and Canal Man = repeat ,no threepeat next year your going down ,, started entry already .. I got 1 vote ... better than last year .. lookout,, Met alot of Newbees who's work is really good ,, lookout for them too .. Throwing Timber thanks for twinkee..thanks diggin jiggin,jpi,karl F,fred/jake,,png,,vb,,Freak !! learned alot today. Good to see Mac and Capesams today still battling over pluigs .. called Carl,,,He and Stan had a really great day ,,were happy talking to everyone ,and couldn't believe all the plugs ,, everywhere you looked .. you guys are all great ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #20
steelhead

Canalman, Slip, JohnR and the rest of the gang for putting in the time and energy to pull the event off, A heartfelt THANKS!

Numbskull, great to met you and talk dannies, etc... The slides you brought provided some food for thought and a few surprises! Thanks for the lips!!!

Capesams, The cut away was perfect!

Tagger, your thoughts on pikie lip sizes and weighting.

Tobias, The little bullet! WOW.

Prof Moriority, I'll put some feathers on the lead head real soon and post :-)

TheFishing Freak, I want to see the flag squid with the squid tail on it. Post a picture!

KarlF, I think I still owe you a plug???

Had a great time doing the demo...

Lower, we'll need to plan a yak day!

Young Salt, show us what you tie with that yellow bucktail I dyed up for you!

I'm worn out!!!! Feels good!!!!
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
Diggin Jiggin

Yup, plugfest is one of the days I really look forward too. There was some insane stuff on the contest table.

I picked up a plug or 2, some lead, some wood, ate some great food, bought some supplies and talked plugs with some great people. Kind of a nice little man town thing we got going

Slip, I've tried that plug with both 3/0 and 4/0 treble on the belly and its got the bouyancy to support either. I'm going to throw the heavy duty 3/0 vmc's on mine. I put one of the 6/0 vmc siwash hooks on the back end but it could probably do a treble if you like that setup better.. There's a little tailweight in there, I'm trying to get the wobble out of the cast. Can't wait to get out there in may and test em on some fish...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Ohhh - I forgot to add - thanks to Bliz for bringing the PlugProject in

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
31 viewing the builders forum....seems there is more traffic in here most times than in the main forum! Still basking in the fine day!

Also forgot to mention.....I got a grommetizer today! Thanks Fish4Striper I think it was, his son and Eastendlu....nice to meet you also!

Last edited by BigFish; 02-11-2006 at 08:19 PM..

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
eastendlu

Thanks all for your hospitality and yes my eyes still hurt from all that plugage and i have a sore throat from talking to you all.Is it next year yet i want to go again!
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #25
Raven

Arrow sore throat remedy

honey is hydroscopic (attracts moisture) and will heal your throat...
nice to have met you LOU _Rav
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #26
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I could not believe some of the plugs today
You guys are just nuts. Thanks everyone for your support.
Another great S-B event
I'd like to stay and type more but the boss man asked for a rod for the TFCTFN and I got to get started.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #27
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Does it get any better than this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cake.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	14107  
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #28
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I am in awe. Beautiful work everyone!!!!

I wasn't sure Ben would have fun, but he fit in perfectly as the DOOR PRIZE RAFFLE DICTATOR..

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #29
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thumbs up

Defenitely needs to be declared a 3 day National Holiday next year.

Thanks to all, for the priviledge to spend time with "the best of the best."

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #30
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Amazing. After eating Steve's kielbasa and beans, the Krylon fumes turn right around and go back in the can. Pretty neat.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote