Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-26-2022, 06:30 AM   #61
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You’re wrong
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
every unborn baby aborted ( tens of
millions of them), would
argue that there is a compelling ethical case to be made that they became a person at conception.

here’s the logic. Conception is literally the only moment in our entire path of life when something spectacular happens, when something literally gets created that wasn’t there a minute ago.

Picking any other time
to assign personhood ( 15 weeks for example) is completely arbitrary and totally devoid of any logic. Other than conception, we are never any different at any moment, than we were a minute before. Never.

Make that wrong.

You can’t.

You can’t win this, you aren’t holding any cards. I get the benefit that abortion provides to the moms. But there’s another party involved.

It’s easy to be pro abortion when
you ignore the baby. I’ve seen the ultrasounds, it’s obvious what i’m looking at.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:35 AM   #62
Jim in CT

Pete, you asked how Trump is doing? If you look at the polls, he’s doing about as well as Biden. What does that tell you?

Have fun answering that.

Destroyed.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:50 AM   #63
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
every unborn baby aborted ( tens of
millions of them), would
argue that there is a compelling ethical case to be made that they became a person at conception.

here’s the logic. Conception is literally the only moment in our entire path of life when something spectacular happens, when something literally gets created that wasn’t there a minute ago.

Picking any other time
to assign personhood ( 15 weeks for example) is completely arbitrary and totally devoid of any logic. Other than conception, we are never any different at any moment, than we were a minute before. Never.

Make that wrong.

You can’t.

You can’t win this, you aren’t holding any cards. I get the benefit that abortion provides to the moms. But there’s another party involved.

It’s easy to be pro abortion when
you ignore the baby. I’ve seen the ultrasounds, it’s obvious what i’m looking at.
You forget that this ruling puts women back in their place, according to the old white male guard and takes their right to control their own lives and body. This supreme court is going to start chipping away at other rights that same court gave people, what does that say about the court, it's now become an arm of one political party and not the majority opinion in this country. Be careful what you wish for, again I think and hope this will come back to bite the right at the mid terms and hopefully in 24; please Trump I want you to run.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:09 AM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
You forget that this ruling puts women back in their place, according to the old white male guard and takes their right to control their own lives and body. This supreme court is going to start chipping away at other rights that same court gave people, what does that say about the court, it's now become an arm of one political party and not the majority opinion in this country. Be careful what you wish for, again I think and hope this will come back to bite the right at the mid terms and hopefully in 24; please Trump I want you to run.
“The ruling” is only supposed to consider constitutionality, not the unfortunate effect t that the ruling may have.

Are you aware that every courthouse has a statue of Lady Justice wearing a blindfold? Do you have any clue what the blindfold represents?

also, huge numbers of women are anti abortion. your side always pretends that all women are pro abortion, and that only men are anti abortion. Not remotely true.

“old white male guard” like Clarence Thomas and Amy Barrett.

When you have zero logic or empathy, you can always play the bigot card!

Have you seen the way Hispanics are shifting to the right?

The court had a left lean for decades, you never co
pained about that once. Is it written in the stars that the supreme court must always lean left?

Nowhere in that rant did you mention the baby.

I can talk about moms all
day. Your side goes to amazing lengths to avoid discussing the baby.

Videos of first trimester abortions show babies physically resisting the instruments of the abortion. That means nothing to you? Yeesh.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-26-2022 at 07:14 AM..
Old 06-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #65
wdmso

Sticking to the constitution is the exact opposite of activism.

So every SJC since 1972. Had the constitution wrong ? And these justices have cracked the code on the correct interpretation of the constitution…. ? For 1 reason only. it fits their religious ideology, and all the legal claims are considered weak

The world is laughing at us over this ruling

Italy However, his party leader, Matteo Salvini, was notably more nuanced, stating that he believes "in the value of life… but on pregnancy, the last word belongs to the woman" - perhaps a recognition that the majority of Italians say they still support the right to abort.

of Ireland news of the US Supreme Court ruling has triggered a swift and passionate response. The issue stirs deep emotions here where abortion was only relatively recently decriminalised. The world continues to watch America become unrecognisable," wrote Dr Jennifer Cassidy on Twitter, a university lecturer who was in Dublin in 2018 when jubilant crowds celebrated as the Republic of Ireland voted to decriminalise abortion.

This will embolden the most conservative groups in our countries who consistently deny women rights",

Justin Trudeau, did not mince words, calling it a "devastating setback" and "horrific" for women.
"Quite frankly, it's an attack on everyone's freedoms and rights," Mr Trudeau said

61% majority of U.S. adults say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 37% think abortion should be illegal in all or most cases. These views are relatively unchanged in the past few years

This is what tyranny looks like at the hands of the minority

The US is starting to look like Iraq where the Sunnis ruled as the minority for decades, unable to win the popular vote on merits they just did what trump tried to do instal himself has leader by placing supporters who would make sure it happens , that’s why you have election denying Republicans with Trumps support running for secretary’s of state in swing states . And Trump supporters are not watch the hearings because they are upset it didn’t work. Not that he tried

And the Republicans are a cult Arizona lawmaker Rusty Bowers would vote for Trump again despite his emotional Jan. 6 testimony

If he is the nominee, if he was up against Biden, I’d vote for him again,” Bowers ​told the Associated Press. “Simply because what he did the first time, before COVID, was so good for the county. In my view, it was great.” So much for having principles
Old 06-26-2022, 07:41 AM   #66
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Sticking to the constitution is the exact opposite of activism.

So every SJC since 1972. Had the constitution wrong ? And these justices have cracked the code on the correct interpretation of the constitution…. ? For 1 reason only. it fits their religious ideology, and all the legal claims are considered weak

The world is laughing at us over this ruling

Italy However, his party leader, Matteo Salvini, was notably more nuanced, stating that he believes "in the value of life… but on pregnancy, the last word belongs to the woman" - perhaps a recognition that the majority of Italians say they still support the right to abort.

of Ireland news of the US Supreme Court ruling has triggered a swift and passionate response. The issue stirs deep emotions here where abortion was only relatively recently decriminalised. The world continues to watch America become unrecognisable," wrote Dr Jennifer Cassidy on Twitter, a university lecturer who was in Dublin in 2018 when jubilant crowds celebrated as the Republic of Ireland voted to decriminalise abortion.

This will embolden the most conservative groups in our countries who consistently deny women rights",

Justin Trudeau, did not mince words, calling it a "devastating setback" and "horrific" for women.
"Quite frankly, it's an attack on everyone's freedoms and rights," Mr Trudeau said

61% majority of U.S. adults say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 37% think abortion should be illegal in all or most cases. These views are relatively unchanged in the past few years

This is what tyranny looks like at the hands of the minority

The US is starting to look like Iraq where the Sunnis ruled as the minority for decades, unable to win the popular vote on merits they just did what trump tried to do instal himself has leader by placing supporters who would make sure it happens , that’s why you have election denying Republicans with Trumps support running for secretary’s of state in swing states . And Trump supporters are not watch the hearings because they are upset it didn’t work. Not that he tried

And the Republicans are a cult Arizona lawmaker Rusty Bowers would vote for Trump again despite his emotional Jan. 6 testimony

If he is the nominee, if he was up against Biden, I’d vote for him again,” Bowers ​told the Associated Press. “Simply because what he did the first time, before COVID, was so good for the county. In my view, it was great.” So much for having principles
when did i say every decision was wrong?

hearing those voices again.

But this one specific decision, was absurd. Going from “protection against illegal search and seizure” to abortion, is a questionable leap at best.

All you have, are complaints about how this impacts women. Again, the supreme court isn’t supposed to care about that. Only about the constitutionality.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of abortion, the place to do that is with your legislature.

Do you have a legal Argument about why it’s reasonable to assume
the constitution was meant to protect abortion?

Ah, the popular vote tantrum. The GOP did a better job responding to the mathematical realities of the electoral college. If popular vote mattered, the gop would do what the democrats do, ignore flyover country and focus on the populated coastal areas. But it would be stupid to do that.

“we’re becoming like Iraq.”

My god man. This decision literally means that we get to decide on abortion, rather than 9 unelected lawyers deciding for us.

This decision is a move towards representative democracy. There’s no arguing that. None.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-26-2022 at 07:48 AM..
Old 06-26-2022, 08:21 AM   #67
wdmso

Quote:
when did i say every decision was wrong?

hearing those voices again.

But this one specific decision, was absurd. Going from “protection against illegal search and seizure” to abortion, is a questionable leap at best.

All you have, are complaints about how this impacts women. Again, the supreme court isn’t supposed to care about that. Only about the constitutionality.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of abortion, the place to do that is with your legislature.

Do you have a legal Argument about why it’s reasonable to assume
the constitution was meant to protect abortion?

Ah, the popular vote tantrum. The GOP did a better job responding to the mathematical realities of the electoral college. If popular vote mattered, the gop would do what the democrats do, ignore flyover country and focus on the populated coastal areas. But it would be stupid to do that.

“we’re becoming like Iraq.”

My god man. This decision literally means that we get to decide on abortion, rather than 9 unelected lawyers deciding for us.

This decision is a move towards representative democracy. There’s no arguing that. None.

n a 6-3 decision for Vega v. Tekoh, the Court ruled that individuals cannot sue for a civil rights violence if an officer(s) failed to warn them of their Miranda rights — even if the subsequent evidence obtained by police following the lack of a Miranda warning is used in a criminal trial

Republicans are embracing all forms of right wing extremism from Fascism to nationalism

Rhode Island Democratic state Senate candidate Jennifer Rourke was punched in the face by her GOP opponent -- a police officer who was off-duty -- during an abortion rights rally at the State House in Providence Friday night, Rourke told CNN in a statement.

In illinois “President Trump, on behalf of all the Maga patriots in America, I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the supreme court yesterday,” she said, drawing cheers from the crowd in Illinois.

Miller is running for reelection in the state’s newly redrawn 15th congressional district against GOP Republican Rodney Davis with the former president’s blessing. they won't even try hide it anymore of course they claim she meant to say right even if she was reading it off a paper .. she must have dementia
Old 06-26-2022, 08:36 AM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
n a 6-3 decision for Vega v. Tekoh, the Court ruled that individuals cannot sue for a civil rights violence if an officer(s) failed to warn them of their Miranda rights — even if the subsequent evidence obtained by police following the lack of a Miranda warning is used in a criminal trial

Republicans are embracing all forms of right wing extremism from Fascism to nationalism

Rhode Island Democratic state Senate candidate Jennifer Rourke was punched in the face by her GOP opponent -- a police officer who was off-duty -- during an abortion rights rally at the State House in Providence Friday night, Rourke told CNN in a statement.

In illinois “President Trump, on behalf of all the Maga patriots in America, I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life in the supreme court yesterday,” she said, drawing cheers from the crowd in Illinois.

Miller is running for reelection in the state’s newly redrawn 15th congressional district against GOP Republican Rodney Davis with the former president’s blessing. they won't even try hide it anymore of course they claim she meant to say right even if she was reading it off a paper .. she must have dementia
you’re saying the gop
embraces nationalism.

The gop wants small federal government, more states rights. It’s literally the opposite of federalism.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Fascism is when unelected people set policy. Democracy is when citizens get to decide.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #69
wdmso

yea ok keep believing that nonsense not a single red state will put an abortion referendum on the ballot

So the mathematical realities of the electoral college in your mind is representative democracy your drinking the GOP kool aid again

tyranny of the minority that's why i compared the GOP vision of the US to Iraq cheating to stay in power from trying to overturn elections to gerrymandering districts and you were right the GOP are playing Mathematics to get votes ! Not actual trying to get elected on policy or message . you can't lose an election if there is no opposition in your district because you rigged it that way

Gerrymandering is at least partly to blame for the lopsided Republican representation in the House. According to an analysis, the Democrats are under-represented by about 18 seats in the House, relative to their vote share in The way Republicans pulled that off was to draw some really, really funky-looking Congressional districts.

GOP version of representative democracy. to bad the math shows their deceit
Old 06-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:

yea ok keep believing that nonsense not a single red state will put an abortion referendum on the ballot

So the mathematical realities of the electoral college in your mind is representative democracy your drinking the GOP kool aid again

tyranny of the minority that's why i compared the GOP vision of the US to Iraq cheating to stay in power from trying to overturn elections to gerrymandering districts and you were right the GOP are playing Mathematics to get votes ! Not actual trying to get elected on policy or message . you can't lose an election if there is no opposition in your district because you rigged it that way

Gerrymandering is at least partly to blame for the lopsided Republican representation in the House. According to an analysis, the Democrats are under-represented by about 18 seats in the House, relative to their vote share in The way Republicans pulled that off was to draw some really, really funky-looking Congressional districts.

GOP version of representative democracy. to bad the math shows their deceit
the electoral college was a promise made to the less populated colonies to get them to join the union, to relieve their concerns verbs that their needs would
be cast aside for needs of more populous colonies. I never said otherwise.

If your side stopped showing disdain for flyover country, perhaps they’d do better with the electoral college. The GOP does a better job of reacting to the realities of the electoral math.

Every single
post, you’re responsible g to something i never said.

Your actually claimed that it’s “nationalism” to allow each of the 50 states to decide an issue. You have absolutely no idea what nationalism means. None.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #71
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
“The ruling” is only supposed to consider constitutionality, not the unfortunate effect t that the ruling may have.

Are you aware that every courthouse has a statue of Lady Justice wearing a blindfold? Do you have any clue what the blindfold represents?

also, huge numbers of women are anti abortion. your side always pretends that all women are pro abortion, and that only men are anti abortion. Not remotely true.

“old white male guard” like Clarence Thomas and Amy Barrett.

When you have zero logic or empathy, you can always play the bigot card!

Have you seen the way Hispanics are shifting to the right?

The court had a left lean for decades, you never co
pained about that once. Is it written in the stars that the supreme court must always lean left?

Nowhere in that rant did you mention the baby.

I can talk about moms all
day. Your side goes to amazing lengths to avoid discussing the baby.

Videos of first trimester abortions show babies physically resisting the instruments of the abortion. That means nothing to you? Yeesh.
Clarence is a male chauvinist white man in black face and Amy is a Trump appointment need I say more?
Old 06-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #72
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Who could possibly mount a defense against that argument
Old 06-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Clarence is a male chauvinist white man in black face and Amy is a Trump appointment need I say more?
wow!

in other words, he’s not really black unless he thinks and behaves the way you say he should.

why are so many women anti abortion, Einstein?

Wow.

You said the quiet part out loud.

Barrett also adopted TWO children from Haiti, which dwarfs anything you and i have ever done to improve the world. She adopted two black children. So is she a racist too?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 06-26-2022 at 01:57 PM..
Old 06-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #74
Pete F.
Canceled

The midterms are coming

By more than a 20-point margin, Americans call it a step backward rather than forward for America. And women, by more than three to one, think the ruling will make women's lives worse rather than better.

The current court did decide this, in the face of 50 years of decisions.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:53 PM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
The midterms are coming

By more than a 20-point margin, Americans call it a step backward rather than forward for America. And women, by more than three to one, think the ruling will make women's lives worse rather than better.

The current court did decide this, in the face of 50 years of decisions.
are you suggesting that the supreme court should base decisions on what improves life for women?
Old 06-26-2022, 04:56 PM   #76
Pete F.
Canceled

A new CBS poll found that 50% of Democrats say they’re more likely to vote in the midterm elections after SCOTUS ruling to overturn RvW

Only 20% of Republicans said the same.

They made a political choice.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #77
Jim in CT

Quote:
A new CBS poll found that 50% of Democrats say they’re more likely to vote in the midterm elections after SCOTUS ruling to overturn RvW

Only 20% of Republicans said the same.

They made a political choice.
dodged the question like a wuss.

SCOTUS isn’t supposed to make decisions based on midterms
either. and pro life people
would rather have this result and lose the next election, than win the election without the result.

it has to help the left. question is by how much. we’ll soon see.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
dodged the question like a wuss.

SCOTUS isn’t supposed to make decisions based on midterms
either. and pro life people
would rather have this result and lose the next election, than win the election without the result.

it has to help the left. question is by how much. we’ll soon see.
They made a political decision

A supermajority of women (67%) disapprove of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, according to a new @CBSNews poll.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #79
Jim in CT

Quote:
They made a political decision

A supermajority of women (67%) disapprove of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, according to a new @CBSNews poll.
who is “they” who made a political decision?

100% of women feel that inflation is hurting their families.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #80
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
who is “they” who made a political decision?

100% of women feel that inflation is hurting their families.
Start with the Federalists, then McConnell, then the majority of the current Court
The Republican Party wants a nationwide ban on abortion.
And will push for it if they regain power.

Inflation will end, the removal of rights by this extremist court is just starting.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #81
Jim in CT

Quote:
Start with the Federalists, then McConnell, then the majority of the current Court
The Republican Party wants a nationwide ban on abortion.
And will push for it if they regain power.

Inflation will end, the removal of rights by this extremist court is just starting.
will inflation end by November? and will it end only by hiking rates to the point of recession?
Old 06-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #82
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
will inflation end by November? and will it end only by hiking rates to the point of recession?
Ahh, the master of whataboutism

All Americans, asked about what law they'd like in their state:
32%: abortion should be legal in all cases
32%: abortion should be legal in most cases
27%: abortion should be illegal in most cases
9%: abortion should be illegal in all cases.

This will be the defining issue in the midterms, you’ll chant what about in lockstep with your masters.

Resentment and a sense of inferiority can’t be fixed by winning elections and court decisions. It can’t be fixed at all, by anything.

Last edited by Pete F.; 06-26-2022 at 05:45 PM..
Old 06-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #83
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ahh, the master of whataboutism

All Americans, asked about what law they'd like in their state:
32%: abortion should be legal in all cases
32%: abortion should be legal in most cases
27%: abortion should be illegal in most cases
9%: abortion should be illegal in all cases.

This will be the defining issue in the midterms, you’ll chant what about in lockstep with your masters.

Resentment and a sense of inferiority can’t be fixed by winning elections and court decisions. It can’t be fixed at all, by anything.

If this will be a defining issue, you should be happy. but you aren’t. so i don’t think you really believe this will be anywhere near the issue that the economy will be

but you may be right. If the price of overturning that decision is the midterms, i can live with that.

you e said abortion should be allowed until birth. what % of americans agree with you?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #84
Pete F.
Canceled

I see that MAGA sees the polling and is scared
Oddly enough you’re in lockstep with them trying to claim opposing the decision of the MAGA court is extreme.
The MAGA court’s next political step?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #85
Jim in CT

Quote:
I see that MAGA sees the polling and is scared
Oddly enough you’re in lockstep with them trying to claim opposing the decision of the MAGA court is extreme.
The MAGA court’s next political step?
i said that supporting abortion in the third trimester is extreme. Here, it says 19% of americans support it. that’s extreme

i immediately concede a big majority want abortion available in. at least some cases. but very few go as far as you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...pregnancy/amp/
Old 06-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #86
Pete F.
Canceled

Unfortunately for you nobody on the left is requiring people to have an abortion, unlike the prior administration’s forced sterilization of immigrants.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #87
Jim in CT

Quote:
Unfortunately for you nobody on the left is requiring people to have an abortion, unlike the prior administration’s forced sterilization of immigrants.
you think it’s bad for me, that people aren’t required to get abortions. d be happier, if people
we’re forced to get abortions?

You are an unbelievable idiot.

You said abortion should be available until birth. Poll after poll
shows that’s a fringe position.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #88
wdmso

“I think we can say, ‘Look, if you travel out of state for an abortion, that abortionist can be held liable,’

pushing Congress to pass a national prohibition, blocking abortion pills, and limiting people’s ability to get abortions across state lines.

Mike Pence and other GOP leaders have called for a national ban.

Republican caliphate thats the new gop
Old 06-26-2022, 07:56 PM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
“I think we can say, ‘Look, if you travel out of state for an abortion, that abortionist can be held liable,’

pushing Congress to pass a national prohibition, blocking abortion pills, and limiting people’s ability to get abortions across state lines.

Mike Pence and other GOP leaders have called for a national ban.

Republican caliphate thats the new gop
explain to us how it’s “nationalist”
to say each of the 50 states should
decide, instead of 9 unelected lawyers in DC. I really want to hear how that’s nationalistic.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:03 PM   #90
wdmso

Quote:
the electoral college was a promise made to the less populated colonies to get them to join the union, to relieve their concerns verbs that their needs would
be cast aside for needs of more populous colonies. I never said otherwise.

If your side stopped showing disdain for flyover country, perhaps they’d do better with the electoral college. The GOP does a better job of reacting to the realities of the electoral math.

Every single
post, you’re responsible g to something i never said.

Your actually claimed that it’s “nationalism” to allow each of the 50 states to decide an issue. You have absolutely no idea what nationalism means. None.
Ya ok keep up your delusions

I bet you think nationalism and fascism and Trump trying to seal the election are patriotic yet Democrats are socialists and communist & Authoritarian . I only see one party dragging America backward and it doesn’t start with a D or an I