Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Hobie's wotrth the $$?

I've been boatless for about 4 years now, and I can't take it. But I don't have the coin (or the free time, honestly) to justify a 23 foot center console. My wife actually suggested that I get a kayak.

I have 2 friends who fish fairly regularly from Niantic, CT to Narragansett, RI. Both of them have the Hobie Outback. I'm lucky enough where I can afford to spend the money on the Hobie. Any reasons NOT do do it? I've never been on a kayak in salt water, and I'm excited.

Jim
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I just sprung for a new Pro Angler.....looking forward to hitting the water shortly for the maiden voyage and exploring new waters!! Have you tried your buddies Hobie out yet???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Hey Bigfish -

No, I've never been in either's Hobie. The only kayaking I've done is sit-on-top paddlers at a local lake. My frfiends both love their Hobies, neither regrets spending the money.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Was hoping to go on my "maiden voyage" today......but it rained!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Very unusual to get rain lately...

What's the difference between the "Angler" model and the "Outback"? What made you get the Angler, which I believe is more $$?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Pro Angler is 38 inches wide as opposed to I think 29 inches for the Outback! This is very boat like.....very spacious and very stable. Its the high end Hobie for sure! Dying to get out in it!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

the new pro angler is a tank, the ultimate fishing yak

get out there and try your buddy's ride and see if you like it.
I've never tried a hobie (mainly because I'm afraid if I try, I'll have to have one!)

It might be worth holding out for one of the motorized yaks will be coming on the market soon as well....
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Motorized>>>! Nah!! Thats the glory of a kayak.....no fuel, nothing to break down!!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Rockport24

the hobie mirage drives break sometimes I've heard, though very easy to fix on the fly I guess.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
blondterror

I got the Revolution this spring and am VERY happy with it. I have fished barnstable harbor and off Magnolia with it so far and it is very stable and is faster than a paddled yak. Not cheap at $1700 but your hands are totally free to fish while underway.

No electronic on mine yet but I see a combo GPS/Fish finder in my future

Great yak for joppa

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Rockport24

ahhhh there are no fish in any of those spots!

serioulsy though, bunch of guys up this way have them and love them.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
JFigliuolo

I love my revo. For me the no hands fihing is a no brainer. Plus I find it is easier moving against the wind/current since legs are much stronger than arms (usually).

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
t

It might be worth holding out for one of the motorized yaks will be coming on the market soon as well....
I saw 2 of the prototypes in use in gansett a few evenings ago.. holy clam and cuttlefish.. they are cool. Id buy one of those in a nano second..
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
RODMAN

Nebe,

Didn't know you fished the little boats. Just moved into an Ocean Torque. Really pleased with it so far. Still paddle about 98% of the time.
RODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #15
BradS

Jim in CT

So far I've used my Hobie two to three x per week for two full seasons while fishing for stripers and bluefish in salt water and I would say that Hobie's are absolutely worth the $$.

As mentioned, being able to troll etc with the rod in your hand instead of in a rod holder is a big advantage, plus the power of the Mirage Drive (especially with turbo fins) in current or strong winds enables me to fish on days and in more areas than I was able to in any of the other three kayaks I owned over the years.

For me the Mirage Drive is also an important safety factor as I sometimes fish outside of Narragansett Bay in open waters and when I'm drifting eels or trolling tube 'n worm in close to rocks and a strong swell threatens to wash me into the rocks the drive enables me to immediately power myself out of there rather than having to put my rod in a holder (step one) pick up the paddle (step two) and then paddle out of the situation (step three).

The Mirage Drive Can be messed up but is solidly built and definitely not fragile. Any damage I've done to mine so far was easily repairable and I'm not very "handy". They also sell a spare parts kit.

Brad
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote