Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Keep up the fantasy’s

The Government controls how much oil is pumped

And everyone moving to Florida because it’s political

And no one is moving to Southern California

You need to get out of your bubble it’s not healthy

Ps when are you moving to your conservatives utopia Florida?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
the government has some impact on oil. Every sane person knows this.

If people are only moving to FL because of the weather and water ( and not because of politics, which drives cost), why aren’t they moving to sourhern CA? are you saying they ARE moving to southern CA in big numbers?

Can’t even tell what you’re saying. We can only tell it’s gibberish.

You’re getting scared about 2022 and it shows.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #32
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

You’re getting scared about 2022 and it shows.

and brandon would need a strong next couple of years...what are the chances

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-trump...result-1725961
Old 07-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #33
Jim in CT

older data showing that in 2016, population exodus cost CT 2.6B. this will
change as with covid, lots of rich Manhattanites moved in.

https://yankeeinstitute.org/2018/10/...ation-in-2016/
Old 07-19-2022, 07:59 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
and brandon would need a strong next couple of years...what are the chances

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-trump...result-1725961
zero. even if it gets better, people
will remember. The gop can win with a campaign slogan that’s two words…

“had enough?”

i can’t see Biden running again. I just can’t.

i’d like to see Desantis run against Newsom or Liz Warren or Pete Buttigieg. Freak show.

How come the democrats have no bench? None!
Old 07-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Had enough?

Massive erosion of support for Republicans among seniors:
65+
May 37D - 62R
July 49D - 47R
Old 07-20-2022, 06:00 AM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Had enough?

Massive erosion of support for Republicans among seniors:
65+
May 37D - 62R
July 49D - 47R
did you, or Joe Scarborough just make this up to give yourselves some hope?....I hope you find comfort in this because there is none elsewhere
Old 07-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #37
Pete F.
Canceled

Here’s the chance that a kid born in the bottom 20% of the income distribution eventually reaches the top 20%, depending on where they live.

Red states are not the land of opportunity.

https://inequality.stanford.edu/site...c-mobility.pdf
Old 07-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #38
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Here’s the chance that a kid born in the bottom 20% of the income distribution eventually reaches the top 20%, depending on where they live.

Red states are not the land of opportunity.

https://inequality.stanford.edu/site...c-mobility.pdf
Easy fix if you care about the people less fortunate than yourself - increase the taxes in those red states and improve the schools, infrastructure, etc. But then you can't claim your state is so good bc taxes aren't low (while still getting $ from the blue states that pay far more in taxes to the Fed than they get back).
Old 07-20-2022, 08:16 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Easy fix if you care about the people less fortunate than yourself - increase the taxes in those red states and improve the schools, infrastructure, etc. But then you can't claim your state is so good bc taxes aren't low (while still getting $ from the blue states that pay far more in taxes to the Fed than they get back).
that’s if you believe that spending money solves everything. hartford spends $19k to educate each kid, and the schools stink.

do t let facts get in the way.

there’s a reason why people are moving there. i know you all hate that reason, but facts don’t care whether or not you like those facts.

Yes, better bridges and roads will end poverty.

why oppose school choice if you claim to want to help these people?
Old 07-20-2022, 08:29 AM   #40
PaulS

Quote:
that’s if you believe that spending money solves everything. hartford spends $19k to educate each kid, and the schools stink.

do t let facts get in the way.

there’s a reason why people are moving there. i know you all hate that reason, but facts don’t care whether or not you like those facts.

Yes, better bridges and roads will end poverty.

why oppose school choice if you claim to want to help these people?
You're an actuary. There is a pretty good correlation between the states that have higher taxes and better education systems, where the people seem to live longer and now we know have a better chance of success.

You're a one trick pony - you only care about lower taxes. It benefits you bc you make enough that you can make up for the crappy schools, etc. in those red states where the better off have no empathy or compassion for those people who aren't as well off.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:33 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're an actuary. There is a pretty good correlation between the states that have higher taxes and better education systems, where the people seem to live longer and now we know have a better chance of success.

You're a one trick pony - you only care about lower taxes. It benefits you bc you make enough that you can make up for the crappy schools, etc. in those red states where the better off have no empathy or compassion for those people who aren't as well off.
i high end mercedes is better than a honda accord. but to many people, it’s not worth the extra cost.

i’m nothing close to a one trick pony. i care about taxes and what you get in return. that’s what most people care about. and many are deciding that blue states aren’t worth the cost.

taxes AND what you get in return. not just taxes. i don’t always lol for cheapest price. But most people
look for the best value. cost is one part of value, not the only part.

If you can’t concede that cost and benefit are two different things, you have issues.

Not just taxes. Taxes, combines with an honest discussion of what one gets in return.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-20-2022 at 08:53 AM..
Old 07-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #42
PaulS

Quote:
i high end mercedes is better than a honda accord. but to many people, it’s not worth the extra cost.

i’m nothing close to a one trick pony. i care about taxes and what you get in returnthat is what I said - you only care about taxes.. that’s what most people care about. and many are deciding that blue states aren’t worth the cost.
Sure you are, you only name taxes as the reason people are leaving while ignoring other things. I agree people are leaving for lower taxes (and other reasons like weather) and many of them are the older folks who made their $ in the better blue states and have no need/care for the better schools, etc. in the blue states so the crappy schools in the red states don't matter to them. They can still get their gov. sponsored and funded health ins. no matter where they live.

Imagine how much worse those red states would be if there wasn't that transfer of many billions of blue state taxes to the poor red states every month.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:

paul there are beautiful suburbs in NH ( Hollis, Brookline, Bedford, Amherst, Bow) where they can’t build $600,000 houses fast enough, with the best public schools in the state.

NH has no income tax, no sales tax. Over 40 years, that’s over 200k in savings to many families. in my case it’s probably close to 300k.

What am i getting in CT, that i wouldn’t get if i lived in NH? What’s the state of CT doing for me that’s worth $300k more than what is get i. NH?

The university of NH is cheaper than UCONN as well.

Please tell me what i’m getting for all that extra cost? Because i can’t think of anything.

Many people are coming to the same realization.

You think social services are well
funded in. CT? ask someone who works for DCF how much their funding has been cut.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #44
wdmso

paul there are beautiful suburbs in NH ( Hollis, Brookline, Bedford, Amherst, Bow) where they can’t build $600,000

Their mostly residents who work in mass ! corrections officers have doing for years .. I know many who it just like I know many who live in RI and work in Mass prisons better pay and benefits then Ri. We call these border towns mass settlements and mass residents have drove the mile to also buy cigarettes and booze in NH

But no one is moving to NH for jobs. That’s the Truth
Old 07-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
paul there are beautiful suburbs in NH ( Hollis, Brookline, Bedford, Amherst, Bow) where they can’t build $600,000

Their mostly residents who work in mass ! corrections officers have doing for years .. I know many who it just like I know many who live in RI and work in Mass prisons better pay and benefits then Ri. We call these border towns mass settlements and mass residents have drove the mile to also buy cigarettes and booze in NH

But no one is moving to NH for jobs
show me the data please, which says most people in all those areas work in Mass. Because you made it up.

Liberty Mutual has TONS of jobs in NH. Tons of data science and white collar jobs. You just make chit up.

And now, most white collar jobs can be done at home. People can work and live anywhere, which will
lead to many more people
leaving blue states for red states. It’s just beginning.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #46
PaulS

Quote:

And now, most white collar jobs can be done at home. People can work and live anywhere, which will
lead to many more people
leaving blue states for red states. It’s just beginning.
Which proves my point. That the opportunities are much much better for the educated in the blues states. If you wanted to succeed you needed to be in the blue states which taxed their residents and used the $ for schools/infrastructure, etc. That was reflected in the much much higher GDP per capita. Tech (WFH) may help the red states somewhat but they still will have a lot of shortcomings due to not having the $ to improve things (although the richer blue cites/counties will be better off than the red counties).
Old 07-20-2022, 10:15 AM   #47
Pete F.
Canceled

More than 100 thousand New Hampshire residents work in Massachusetts.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:

If you wanted to succeed you needed to be in the blue states
good grief,,,,,
Old 07-20-2022, 11:45 AM   #49
scottw

Quote:

Imagine how much worse those red states would be if there wasn't that transfer of many billions of blue state taxes to the poor red states every month.
probably cease to exist....
Old 07-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
good grief,,,,,
there’s no white collar jobs in charlotte NC. None.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #51
scottw

Quote:
the condescension is amazing...
Old 07-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Which proves my point. That the opportunities are much much better for the educated in the blues states. If you wanted to succeed you needed to be in the blue states which taxed their residents and used the $ for schools/infrastructure, etc. That was reflected in the much much higher GDP per capita. Tech (WFH) may help the red states somewhat but they still will have a lot of shortcomings due to not having the $ to improve things (although the richer blue cites/counties will be better off than the red counties).
"opportunities are much much better for the educated in the blues states"

Tell that to everyone working in Atlanta and Charlotte NC.

Paul, there are places in red states where I'd NEVER want to live. But there are also places in red states that are very cheap and have a high quality of life. There are exactly zero places in blue states (that I know of) which are very cheap and offer a good quality of life for normal families.

Can you name one nice suburb in a liberal state, which has super low taxes and yet offers a high quality of life? Places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, etc??? I don't know of one single such place. Can you name any?

Historically, large companies had reasons to locate in big cities, which tend to be liberal. Nowadays, people and companies are making different choices.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
the condescension is amazing...
Equal parts condescension and denial.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #54
PaulS

Quote:
of course there is. It is a blue city so its economy drives that whole NC region.

Last edited by PaulS; 07-20-2022 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #55
PaulS

Quote:
"opportunities are much much better for the educated in the blues states"

Tell that to everyone working in Atlanta and Charlotte NC. You mean those blue cities?

Paul, there are places in red states where I'd NEVER want to live. But there are also places in red states that are very cheap and have a high quality of life. There are exactly zero places in blue states (that I know of) which are very cheap and offer a good quality of life for normal families.

Can you name one nice suburb in a liberal state, which has super low taxes and yet offers a high quality of life? Places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, etc??? I don't know of one single such place. Can you name any?

Historically, large companies had reasons to locate in big cities, which tend to be liberal. Nowadays, people and companies are making different choices.
You're asking about the liberal cities? They have some of the highest quality of life in the red states. NC is equally divided 1/3 R, D and Ind. The legislature is gerrymandered to be red.

You keep naming liberal cities and using those as examples of places with high quality of life but are unable to show red states that lead the country in the "good" (like Pete and I have) categories other than low taxes.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #56
PaulS

Quote:
good grief,,,,,
typical snarky comeback.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #57
PaulS

Quote:
Equal parts condescension and denial.
Yet you deny that the quality of life is better in the blue states/counties than the red states.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yet you deny that the quality of life is better in the blue states/counties than the red states.
I asked you what i get in CT from the state,,which I wouldn’t get in NH or NC. Seems like a very obvious question. Did you answer?

Quality of life might be better in blue states, i don’t deny that, but only if you have the money to pay the exorbitant price tag. The question is, is the improvement in quality of life in blue states, worth the cost of living in blue states? A huge number of americans believe the answer is no, and they are moving as a result.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're asking about the liberal cities? They have some of the highest quality of life in the red states. NC is equally divided 1/3 R, D and Ind. The legislature is gerrymandered to be red.

You keep naming liberal cities and using those as examples of places with high quality of life but are unable to show red states that lead the country in the "good" (like Pete and I have) categories other than low taxes.
for the third time. please list some places to live in blue states, which offer a high quality of life with very low taxes.

I can name many places in red states that fit that exact description. Can you name any places in any blue states that fit that description?

Seems like you’re doing everything you can to avoid answering. Gee, I wonder why?
Old 07-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #60
PaulS

Quote:
I asked you what i get in CT from the state,,which I wouldn’t get in NH or NC. Seems like a very obvious question. Did you answer?Didn't see you ask that question.

Quality of life might be better in blue states, i don’t deny that, but only if you have the money to pay the exorbitant price tag. The question is, is the improvement in quality of life in blue states, worth the cost of living in blue states? A huge number of americans believe the answer is no, and they are moving as a result.
For the average person living in Ct they are better off bc of more services. Some (you but not everyone is an actuary) it might not be. You can move to the "best" city (prob. liberal or close to a major liberal city) in a red state and pay to live in a town whose taxes are higher and has better schools. Salaries for many are higher in Ct bc of higher cost of living and I think the aver. higher sal. out weights the aver. higher tax burden.