Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-19-2023, 12:22 AM   #271
Pete F.
Canceled

Now Republicans are trying to pass a 30% national sales tax on Americans. Because they’re really focused on fighting inflation or something.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-19-2023, 08:50 AM   #272
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Now Republicans are trying to pass a 30% national sales tax on Americans. Because they’re really focused on fighting inflation or something.
If you don’t want to pay a tax, don’t buy it. It’s as simple as that,” Carter told

Federal Reserve data indicates that as of Q4 2021, the top 1% of households in the United States held 32.3% of the country's wealth, while the bottom 50% held 2.6%. In recent decades, wealth inequality has substantially increased in the United States.

Yep GOP followers not understanding that they and the majority of Americans are the people who buy like 99% of the goods and services

What’s crazy why are they giving the crazy’s a soap box to even stand on.. They will complain when 6 year olds all get a participation trophy.

Yet Republicans are doing the same thing but giving up the house floor

Kevin has just gave up any lLegitimacy and seriousness the house had
All so he can say he’s speaker ..

He put himself before the country . Using the usual GOP rhetoric like freedom radical left fiscal responsibility. And the base of the Republican Party are alike Lemmings Kevin’s right behind Trump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC898F08-E0A4-4AAC-B48A-6A8A57AD2D5E.png
Views:	59
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	69439  
Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #273
PaulS

Quote:
Why not? It is a good way to capture taxes from the poor who spend all their money. They should lift themselves up by the bootstraps and make enough so that they have money they can put away that won't be taxed and then can buy income producing properties or invest in companies.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 AM   #274
Jim in CT

Quote:
oh pete. You conveniently left out the part that their plan also eliminates the federal income tax. How come you left that part out?

Do you have the facts to show that eliminating the income
tax and replacing it with a sales tax, would cause more inflation? The cost of goods would go up obviously, but wouldn’t that be at least partially offset by the elimination of the income tax?

the gop proposed it, therefore it must be stupid, and probably diabolical.

TN is a very popular and booming state, it has no state income tax but a hefty sales tax. That policy hasn’t resulted in a cost of living that keeps people from moving there in huge numbers.

doesn’t mean it’s smart national policy, it’s very radical. . But you left out a big , big component of the proposal.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:25 AM   #275
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
If you don’t want to pay a tax, don’t buy it. It’s as simple as that,” Carter told

Federal Reserve data indicates that as of Q4 2021, the top 1% of households in the United States held 32.3% of the country's wealth, while the bottom 50% held 2.6%. In recent decades, wealth inequality has substantially increased in the United States.

Yep GOP followers not understanding that they and the majority of Americans are the people who buy like 99% of the goods and services

What’s crazy why are they giving the crazy’s a soap box to even stand on.. They will complain when 6 year olds all get a participation trophy.

Yet Republicans are doing the same thing but giving up the house floor

Kevin has just gave up any lLegitimacy and seriousness the house had
All so he can say he’s speaker ..

He put himself before the country . Using the usual GOP rhetoric like freedom radical left fiscal responsibility. And the base of the Republican Party are alike Lemmings Kevin’s right behind Trump
wayne, here we see data that shows that for tax year 2020, the top 1% had 22% of total national income, yet paid 42% of the total national federal income tax.

In other words,,their share of the national tax burden was just about twice as large as their share of national income.

The tax code can likely be tweaked to make it more fair. But it’s already very, very progressive. Trump increased the number of people
at the bottom who pay nothing, by doubling the standard deduction. You should celebrate that. but we know why you won’t.

https://www.ntu.org/foundation/tax-p...s-income-taxes

in a growing economy, wealth inequality has to increase, because the wealthy have more to invest. You can’t prevent that, and there’s no sane reason to try. would you support a law that makes it illegal to work or invest after someone becomes a billionaire?

one persons wealth, doesn’t hurt anyone else, assuming they didn’t steal it. the liberal fixation of the wealthy, who today are mostly liberals.

The democrats ran the show for two years, how come they didn’t do anything to fix it?
Old 01-19-2023, 12:55 PM   #276
PaulS

There is always going to be wealth inequality in a capitalist society. A 30% sales tax will make it worse and only benefit the rich.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #277
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
wayne, here we see data that shows that for tax year 2020, the top 1% had 22% of total national income, yet paid 42% of the total national federal income tax.

In other words,,their share of the national tax burden was just about twice as large as their share of national income.

The tax code can likely be tweaked to make it more fair. But it’s already very, very progressive. Trump increased the number of people
at the bottom who pay nothing, by doubling the standard deduction. You should celebrate that. but we know why you won’t.

in a growing economy, wealth inequality has to increase, because the wealthy have more to invest. You can’t prevent that, and there’s no sane reason to try. would you support a law that makes it illegal to work or invest after someone becomes a billionaire?

one persons wealth, doesn’t hurt anyone else, assuming they didn’t steal it. the liberal fixation of the wealthy, who today are mostly liberals.

The democrats ran the show for two years, how come they didn’t do anything to fix it?
Jim,
The data presented by NTU shows the increase in wealth inequality since the Reagan administration.
Carried to the logical conclusion of your theory that wealth inequality has to increase, we all end up as serfs, living in homes owned by
the wealthiest and with no opportunity to escape.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-19-2023, 01:22 PM   #278
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
There is always going to be wealth inequality in a capitalist society. A 30% sales tax will make it worse and only benefit the rich.
if you taxed luxury items and didn’t tax some things that poor folks predominantly buy, it wouldn’t make it worse.

in any event, it sounds like a radical, stupid idea.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:27 PM   #279
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim,
The data presented by NTU shows the increase in wealth inequality since the Reagan administration.
Carried to the logical conclusion of your theory that wealth inequality has to increase, we all end up as serfs, living in homes owned by
the wealthiest and with no opportunity to escape.
the point of the data i posted, is that the top 1% pay a share of income tax that’s twice as large as their proportion of income. Which means, our tax system is very progressive

Wealthy people getting wealthier, does not make anyone else a surf. Wealth is not finite. If Jeff Bezos earns another million this afternoon, that doesn’t mean there’s a million less for
me and you to scrounge for. it has zero impact on me and you, other than it probably decreases our tax burden.

here, you’re saying wealth is bad. but in other posts, you brag that the wealthiest people are mostly democrats.

So which is it?

One persons wealth, doesn’t cause another persons poverty. It’s not a zero sum game.

Every single one of us, knows people who started out poor and got rich.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:38 PM   #280
wdmso

Quote:

yet the 1% paid 42% of the total national federal income tax.

that you claim republicans want to eliminate and replace with a 30% sales tax

I am no mathematician but I don’t see how they could fund just the military with their plan

Jim’s another republican supporting the wealthy blindly in hope he’ll be rich someday

FYI Jim not paying your taxes is stealing… if those in government allow a system to benefit donors who argue those tax laws allow them to hire and re invest
But they do neither . It’s stealing

Last edited by wdmso; 01-19-2023 at 02:45 PM..
Old 01-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #281
Jim in CT

Quote:
yet the 1% paid 42% of the total national federal income tax.

that you claim republicans want to eliminate and replace with a 30% sales tax

I am no mathematician but I don’t see how they could fund just the military with their plan

Jim’s another republican supporting the wealthy blindly in hope he’ll be rich someday

FYI Jim not paying your taxes is stealing… if those in government allow a system to benefit donors who argue those tax laws allow them to hire and re invest
But they do neither . It’s stealing
"that you claim republicans want to eliminate and replace with a 30% sales tax "

But neither you nor I know if that will change the % of tax paid by the top 1%. You're making blind assumptions. But I agree it's probably a stupid idea.

On a different note, if the top 1% pay twice as much in federal income tax as they hold of taxable income, doesn't that sort of mean they are paying their share? Your side likes to claim they don't...

"I am no mathematician "

Get outta here. Could've fooled me...

"I don’t see how they could fund just the military with their plan "

So either their plan wouldn't even fund the military, or else you don't know what you're talking about, in which case get some facts before you condemn it?

"Jim’s another republican supporting the wealthy blindly in hope he’ll be rich someday "

I didn't support them, I stated facts.

Which party do most wealthy register under, Wayne? So who is bowing to the wealthy?

"FYI Jim not paying your taxes is stealing"

I agree 100%. So you're saying Al Sharpton is a crooked thief, then? Because your side LOVES him.

"if those in government allow a system to benefit donors who argue those tax laws allow them to hire and re invest
But they do neither . It’s stealing"

(1) the wealthy pay plenty.
(2) the wealthy are mostly democrats.

Democrats controlled the entire federal government for Bidens first 2 years, and did nothing to improve it. How is that the Republican's fault, exactly?
Old 01-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #282
wdmso

Democrats controlled the entire federal government for Bidens first 2 years, and did nothing to improve it. How is that the Republican's fault, exactly?

Odd you dismiss the same argument when used against Republicans
Funny how that works
Old 01-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #283
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
the point of the data i posted, is that the top 1% pay a share of income tax that’s twice as large as their proportion of income. Which means, our tax system is very progressive

Wealthy people getting wealthier, does not make anyone else a surf. Wealth is not finite. If Jeff Bezos earns another million this afternoon, that doesn’t mean there’s a million less for
me and you to scrounge for. it has zero impact on me and you, other than it probably decreases our tax burden.

here, you’re saying wealth is bad. but in other posts, you brag that the wealthiest people are mostly democrats.

So which is it?

One persons wealth, doesn’t cause another persons poverty. It’s not a zero sum game.

Every single one of us, knows people who started out poor and got rich.
Call it whatever you want, in 1971, a whole lot more American adults were living in a middle-class household. That's not the case today, as the middle class has shrunk in the last five decades — and the richest households have seen their earnings swell.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-21-2023, 03:44 PM   #284
PaulS

For years the Republican said the only reason they spent money at trump's hotel in Washington was because it was convenient. Now they're spending 400 times less. Imagine that.

From its opening in June to the midterm elections, Republican officials, candidates and fundraising committees have spent less than $2,000 at the Waldorf Astoria, according to FEC data. In the same five-month window during the 2018 midterms, Republicans spent more than 400 times that amount with $867K in disbursements to the Trump Hotel. After the property opened in 2016 Republicans spent $266K in its first six months alone. This is only a portion of the spending that took place at the time, as a number of wealthy Republican donors and dark money groups also spent money at Trump’s hotel, without any requirement to disclose that spending to the public.

Trump hotel customers often claimed that the hotel’s downtown location and close proximity to the White House and Capitol explained their patronage. Representative Kevin McCarthy disregarded concerns about spending at Trump International, and said that Trump’s properties are “just like any other hotel.” Throughout Trump’s presidency, McCarthy’s committees spent over a quarter-million dollars at Trump properties and earned Trump’s support for his bid for Speaker of the House. The day after T-Mobile announced its merger with Sprint, nine T-Mobile executives stayed at Trump Hotel. CEO John Legere tweeted that the hotel was “convenient” and that the stay would not “have any influence on regulatory decisions.” Trump later approved the merger. The CEO of an energy trade group and Trump’s own campaign director also asserted that the Trump Hotel was a convenient choice for their events.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:01 PM   #285
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
For years the Republican said the only reason they spent money at trump's hotel in Washington was because it was convenient. Now they're spending 400 times less. Imagine that.

From its opening in June to the midterm elections, Republican officials, candidates and fundraising committees have spent less than $2,000 at the Waldorf Astoria, according to FEC data. In the same five-month window during the 2018 midterms, Republicans spent more than 400 times that amount with $867K in disbursements to the Trump Hotel. After the property opened in 2016 Republicans spent $266K in its first six months alone. This is only a portion of the spending that took place at the time, as a number of wealthy Republican donors and dark money groups also spent money at Trump’s hotel, without any requirement to disclose that spending to the public.

Trump hotel customers often claimed that the hotel’s downtown location and close proximity to the White House and Capitol explained their patronage. Representative Kevin McCarthy disregarded concerns about spending at Trump International, and said that Trump’s properties are “just like any other hotel.” Throughout Trump’s presidency, McCarthy’s committees spent over a quarter-million dollars at Trump properties and earned Trump’s support for his bid for Speaker of the House. The day after T-Mobile announced its merger with Sprint, nine T-Mobile executives stayed at Trump Hotel. CEO John Legere tweeted that the hotel was “convenient” and that the stay would not “have any influence on regulatory decisions.” Trump later approved the merger. The CEO of an energy trade group and Trump’s own campaign director also asserted that the Trump Hotel was a convenient choice for their events.
No influence peddling going on there …. But but Hunter
Old 01-23-2023, 01:55 PM   #286
wdmso

Republicans won’t bring an immigration bill to the floor this week after members raised concerns about its scope and the process

Shocked
Old 01-25-2023, 11:31 AM   #287
wdmso

Jordan is investigating the Biden administration's effort to 'target' parents at school board meetings

shocking this has been disproved over and over again More of the same the GOP chasing conspiracy theories

The bottom line is Republicans are reading much more into Garland’s memo than it says. The memo focuses strictly on “violence, threats of violence, and other forms of intimidation and harassment” — all of which are crimes — not on parents raising questions or complaints.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:08 PM   #288
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jordan is investigating the Biden administration's effort to 'target' parents at school board meetings

shocking this has been disproved over and over again More of the same the GOP chasing conspiracy theories

The bottom line is Republicans are reading much more into Garland’s memo than it says. The memo focuses strictly on “violence, threats of violence, and other forms of intimidation and harassment” — all of which are crimes — not on parents raising questions or complaints.
that violence is already a state crime. what was the news for the feds to get involved? we’re any BOE members hurt and the assaulted it punished?

looked like the teachers union told their dogs to attack.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:23 PM   #289
Pete F.
Canceled

👆

There’s no teacher shortage. There are thousands of certified teachers who left the profession and refuse to be employed in education…you can’t blame them.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:16 PM   #290
Jim in CT

Quote:
👆

There’s no teacher shortage. There are thousands of certified teachers who left the profession and refuse to be employed in education…you can’t blame them.
yup. i’m sure they will find life easier and more fulfilling in the real world.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #291
wdmso

This is Jim’s republicans other concerns

Why conservatives are accusing the Xbox of being ‘woke’
The criticism comes after the brand said this month it’s rolling out updates to improve the energy efficiency of the video-game consoles

The Xbox is the latest product to join a long list — one that includes hamburgers, cars and, most recently, stoves — of everyday items targeted by conservatives who argue efforts to curb carbon emissions threaten Americans’ way of life.

Now energy conservation is woke lol

Jim why do conservatives want the feds to investigate attacks on conservatives birthing centers?

They provide no medical services

It’s normal for local law enforcement to ask the feds for help and it’s normal for feds to offer that help..

Can you show us any cases where the feds took over a local investigation that actually involved a parent who allegedly made or didn’t make a threat against a school board member..

I am going with you or Gym can’t provide 1 example.. just more Gopq feelings trying to be sold as facts again

And again with the Teachers union is Americas enemy . parroting more gop talking points

Last edited by wdmso; 01-25-2023 at 01:42 PM..
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #292
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
yup. i’m sure they will find life easier and more fulfilling in the real world.
Schools aren’t the real world?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-25-2023, 01:51 PM   #293
wdmso

AT&T's DirecTV Cancels NEWSMAX in Censorship Move

Because no one’s watching and their under no obligation to carry the Show.

But but they are being censored
Old 01-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #294
Pete F.
Canceled

Since Trumplicans seem to have no historical memory or are just poorly educated, here’s a friendly reminder: just threatening a debt default in 2011 caused the stock market to plunge and mortgage rates to spike.

Is that an economy that works for you?
Old 01-28-2023, 02:55 PM   #295
wdmso

So it's begun just passing bills for the sake of passing a bill that will die in the senate .. while calling it responsible legislation

House passes GOP bill limiting Biden reserve sales and requiring oil leasing

yep taking care of Big Oil doing little for Americans

meanwhile in the real world

Chevron posted a record $36.5 billion profit for 2022 that was more than double year-earlier earnings, kicking off what analysts expect to be a bumper earnings season for global energy suppliers.

Earlier this week, Chevron said it would triple its spending on share repurchases to $75 billion over five years at current guidance. Other oil companies are expected to follow suit.

what no additional drilling
Old 01-31-2023, 11:55 PM   #296
Pete F.
Canceled

If Santos loses his congressional seat, thanks to the change in House rules, any House Democrat can call for a vote to vacate the Speaker and Mccarthy doesn't have the votes to get his position as Speaker of the House back.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #297
wdmso

The report, prepared by the RNC’s “National Election Integrity Team” and obtained by The Washington Post, reveals the degree to which Republicans continue to trade on former president Donald Trump’s false claims that Democrats and their allies rigged his defeat in 2020.
The report suggests building a massive new party organization involving state-level “election integrity officers” and intensive new training models for poll workers and observers — all based on unsubstantiated claims that Democrats have implemented election procedures that allow for rigged votes.

Shocked