Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

going in a different direction...

I'm kind of getting burnt out turning wood. So I decided to spend some time trying to learn how to make tins. I've got way to much time into these, but I did manage to get exactly what I wanted.

The spoons on the left are 3.5 oz for a dying tide in the canal.
The middle spoons are 2.5 and for the beach.

The 2 piece tins are 3 oz, the fron half is 1 3/4 and the back half is 1 and 1/4. The action on the fixed hook is suprising subtle, I think it will be good for getting down in mild current.

The 3 tiny ones are like 1/2 an oz and 3/4 of an oz, I was thinking I could maybe use them when peanuts are around or as a teaser. I also tried hooking them up to the back 1/2 of the 2 piece ones and they had a nice wobble and were right around 2 oz.

The ones on the upper right are 2 5/8. I wanted something a tiny bit lighter than a 4h hopkins that was heavier in the rear and would be easy to bring up to the surface for albies or blues...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Diggin Jiggin

doh, pictures would be good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2000a1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	26382  
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Moses

Figured I'd give you another minute to realize you forgot the pics. Looking good Dave.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Neat. Been wanting to try that as well.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Diggin Jiggin

Hi Mike, only a few month to go!

Here's the profiles of a couple, its hard to see it from the first picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM2008aa.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	26384   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2005a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	26385  
Old 03-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
gone fishin

Nice job - what did you make your molds out of? do you use anything to hold the glossy finish? That 2 piece jobb looks really interesting.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
Diggin Jiggin

The molds were made out of bondo. The bondo works ok but the molds aren't going to hold up that long. Its ok as far as experimenting goes but you won't get the clean pours you would is you were using an aluminum one. They come out pretty rough and there's a lot of clean up to get the final result.

I had a post about polishing tins a while ago and I think a product called wenol was recommended but I haven't used it yet. I ended up buying a little buffing kit for the drill press and thats how they end up when you are done.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Moses

Hey Dave - try hitting one of those with the "magic eraser". I cleaned up some rust stained plugs and metals the other day and used this product (recommended by my wife). I was amazed how nice they turned up. Mind you, this is a slightly abrasive, sponge like household cleaner. Really brought the shine back to my kastmasters and hopkins...

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #9
NIB

Nice. Looks like u might need more keel on the top left ones. something else u might try.Make ur own skin jigs.It's easy..
Turn a shape(Like Kevins Or a heavy Pt.Jude for the ditch) out of wood on the lathe.Include the collar.
Cut a small slit on the top for a standard Long shank Jig Hook.The one with the 90 degree bend, bondo it in place.Drill the blow hole.Make ur mold use the tail end of the drill bit u used for the hole.Coat it with oil grease or any lube to pull it out.U can use a bolt for this also an just turn it out.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Diggin Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Nice. Looks like u might need more keel on the top left ones. something else u might try.Make ur own skin jigs.It's easy..
Turn a shape(Like Kevins Or a heavy Pt.Jude for the ditch) out of wood on the lathe.Include the collar.
Cut a small slit on the top for a standard Long shank Jig Hook.The one with the 90 degree bend, bondo it in place.Drill the blow hole.Make ur mold use the tail end of the drill bit u used for the hole.Coat it with oil grease or any lube to pull it out.U can use a bolt for this also an just turn it out.
I started messing around with an eelskin jig late last spring, but the first one came out about 1/2 an ounce heavier than I wanted and I never got back to it. I basically did something very similar to what you'd said. Its fun messing around with this stuff, you start wondering how many guys have had the same ideas and done this already...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM2025a.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	26410   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2026a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	26411  
Old 03-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I was afraid to open this I thought you may have switched teams

Nice job, I wish I had the talent you guys have

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post
I started messing around with an eelskin jig late last spring, but the first one came out about 1/2 an ounce heavier than I wanted and I never got back to it. I basically did something very similar to what you'd said. Its fun messing around with this stuff, you start wondering how many guys have had the same ideas and done this already...

Cool...
I could remove a 1/2 oz from that no problem..Just put the nose flat onto a sander.I have a table top belt sander I use all the time for stuff like that.U would be surprised how many guys make there own stuff.I have a friend who ground out his own eelsquid tin out of a do-it mold with a dremel.It's real good too.I have another friend who I call the bondo king.Has more jigs than u can imagine,never bought a single mold..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Diggin Jiggin

Ya, I'm getting there. Been thru 2 gallons of bondo in the past 2 winters.

Looking at the picture of that mold, all I gotta do to reduce the weight is drill a bigger thru hole for the water and put a bigger bit in the hole so less lead is in the mold...dumb dumb dumb.... funny I didn't think of that till a year later...
Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
Nebe

nice stuff
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

That is some fascinating stuff you're doing there. I'm still using thos jigs that you traded me, absolutely love them. Your new pours are amazing.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote