Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I miss the old days

Feeling nostalgic this afternoon. Sometimes the angle of the sun, the clouds, the wind, the whole thing reminds me of times passed.
I had a lot of surf partners over 50 years but 2 of the best were Gil Guillitone from Narragansett and Bryan Oakley from Newport.

Just wish we could go back. Such great times in the middle of the night.
Throwing Timber calls from the Point at 2 AM to say the bite is on.
Spencer has a bird nest of biblical proportions at the Palisades again in the middle of the night and Nebe goes for a swim after a 25# for me in the same place and almost gets washed away,

I could write a book. Not even mentioning the Cape beaches with BackBeach, Tony C, George Calzone, Lanny Grazinni, Jerry Place, NJ Charlie, NY Ed, Stevie Mills.

Fishing Carpenters in 2003 with Tony Palliotti and Tommy McGuire and we catch 100, 15 to 20# bass and let all of them go.

Just nothing like that happens anymore. It truly was the best of times and I thank God I got to do it with some of the best Stripermen on earth.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
spence

This is fake news. I have never fished a day in my life
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This is fake news. I have never fished a day in my life
...and in 1st Place Jeff Spencer..

Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Clammer

&&&&&&&&&&&&boat fisherman don,t count ><><>>>>>>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
&&&&&&&&&&&&boat fisherman don,t count ><><>>>>>>
Not sayin' that Mike but the surf back in the day was different. You and I surely had some epic times running together in the Sea Hunts.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
DZ

Welcome to the new normal.
Where you can surfcast all season and count how many legal size fish you caught on two hands.

Where "big fish" are measured in inches.

Where the younger crowd are completely happy and content with catching numbers of bass but not quality sized bass.

Where a surf caught bass over 30 pounds is now considered the "fish of 10,000 casts".

I am now understanding why Steve Campo gave up on striper fishing many years back.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

; )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
l.i.fish.in.vt

i honestly feel sorry for you guys who are stuck in the past.i have fished all my life,and really don't care what happened in the past,i live for today not yesterday.and yes i have had the good fortune to fish with the best of the best in both boat and beach.never really cared how big a fish was.from the 60's till today i have caught more than my share of big fish,and i am still happy catching fish all night no matter what the size.after ten years of working in a tackle shop i got sick of all the stories of big fish caught from guys that could catch a schoolie in present time.
l.i.fish.in.vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
Rob Rockcrawler

I miss the fishing of 10 years ago. Every fall on block island with my same crew of guys we fish our asses off and still catch fish and are happy about it. But it’s been 9-10 yeas since we had a trip where we were talking pounds every night. Now it’s a half dozen fish that are talked about in pounds if we are lucky. This year It was 2 talked about in pounds a 42-45 and a 22-25lber. I hope in 10 years we have another group of big fish around to relive the good days that I experienced. Unfortunately most of my crew won’t be making the trip any more at that age.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Clammer

I miss the old days .in everything , fishing , health , family , sex , respect , &&&&&&&the list goes on

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I have good memories of the past and some not so good ones, I try to enjoy every day and make the most out of what life offers. Being on the right side of the lawn and being relatively healthy in retirement is a plus and I finally have time to tune up my golf game; which at this point is far more rewarding than fishing.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Clammer

fu ck golf .on the right side of the lawn ><><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 11-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
fu ck golf .on the right side of the lawn ><><>
Mike, you should try it. Play HarborLight. Nice, easy 9 hole, 3 minutes from your house. It is very rewarding once you understand it's not strength or power but it's all about timing and setup. Really very much like casting correctly.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #14
Clammer

the closest I ever got was when they were opening the buttonhole course ………...we setup stick bullrake setups & waders & we went there & warwick country club .when I tell you we actually got 1000,s of golf balls to donate to them .
when Sheila passed . instead of selling her clubs or giving them to someone I brought them down there & gave them away ……………………. that was enough /////////////Oh I did golf in two tournaments ……………. fu ckin divit .felt like my hands got broadsided by a baseballbat

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 11-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Mike, you should try it. Play HarborLight. Nice, easy 9 hole, 3 minutes from your house. It is very rewarding once you understand it's not strength or power but it's all about timing and setup. Really very much like casting correctly.
OMG Clammer and golf, I think all young ears will need to be out of ear shot before he tees off. Beat the rain and cold this morning and beat my record time, 18 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Scored well in spite of the wind with 77, the double bogey on the last blew my 75.

I see Clammer as more of a putt putt guy.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #16
bobber

I hate where the fishery is going, and that the dolts in charge can't seems to stop stepping own their own d!cks when it comes to forming a rebuilding plan. I've moved on (for the most part).....

I'm hoping that smallmouths will fill the void, but I'm not that optimistic--there aint no such thing as a 40" smallie.

its depressing.......
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 AM   #17
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I hate where the fishery is going, and that the dolts in charge can't seems to stop stepping own their own d!cks when it comes to forming a rebuilding plan. I've moved on (for the most part).....

I'm hoping that smallmouths will fill the void, but I'm not that optimistic--there aint no such thing as a 40" smallie.

its depressing.......
They do help fill the void . Some big bronze-backs out there on 2# test . plus its fun hunting for them .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If smallies grew to those dimensions, it would be insane, picture a thirty lb bronze back tail walking across a fog laden early morning cove.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Yeah Paulie, the fishery isn't what it was. Putting in those hours is a young man's and an old man's past time. Hard to be a vampire with kids etc... Adapt, and keep having fun.

We sure had some fun though back then....
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Yeah Paulie, the fishery isn't what it was. Putting in those hours is a young man's and an old man's past time. Hard to be a vampire with kids etc... Adapt, and keep having fun.

We sure had some fun though back then....
Memories that will last this old man the rest of his life.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #21
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Memories that will last this old man the rest of his life.
I’d take a swim for you any day old friend. Today. Tomorrow. Anytime.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
Nebe

And Spence... take note I did not drop his fish while doing the flooded wader doggie paddle
Old 11-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #23
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
And Spence... take note I did not drop his fish while doing the flooded wader doggie paddle
#^&#^&#^&#^& off
It was a glorified schoolie, Spence has changed the story to a I dropped his 50 in the wash....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #24
bart
Red Eye Jedi

God, what I’d give to go back to the fishery we had 10 years ago, and even then you could tell the fishery was starting to decline. Looking back, Tyler (cheferson) and I were so spoiled. We only fished two spots, high percentage big fish spots, and if we didn’t get a 20+ # fish on any given night, that night was considered a failure. We hit it hard 3-4 times a weeks, him even more, and we were always on fish. Never had to leave one East facing coastline for an entire season except for special occasions like the Sept New Moon... we had a spot that always produced quality and quantity no matter when in the month the new moon lined up. And we still said the fishing was getting worse ( it was, but it’s all relative).

Back to our home base, we’d have nights where we’d go through 2 dozen eels no problem. Always resident fish around. It was nice to revisit one of those spots 4 seasons ago after years of blanking there and having one of the most epic 4 night stretches in my life, all while fishing “Tyler’s Rock.”

Like RIRock said, though, regardless of the state of the fisheries, fishing like that is for the young (or bum knee, degenerate in my case). I’ll never forget Tyler was fishing the same NE’ster when a certain member on here flipped his boat during it and put in a ridiculous insurance claim.... Tyler was fishing a rock that was completely exposed, taking waves to the chest, and landed a mid 40# fish while Rolex’s and multiple VS’ were floating by in front of us (I kid, I kid... sort of).

So many good fish and this was after the epic fishing of the late 90’s, early 2000’s. What I’d give to go back to those nights, those spots that are forever ingrained in my soul, with the knowledge I have now...

Last edited by bart; 11-13-2019 at 11:37 AM..
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #25
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
God, what I’d give to go back to the fishery we had 10 years ago, and even then you could tell the fishery was starting to decline. Looking back, Tyler (cheferson) and I were so spoiled. We only fished two spots, high percentage big fish spots, and if we didn’t get a 20+ # fish on any given night, that night was considered a failure. We hit it hard 3-4 times a weeks, him even more, and we were always on fish. Never had to leave one East facing coastline for an entire season except for special occasions like the Sept New Moon... we had a spot that always produced quality and quantity no matter when in the month the new moon lined up. And we still said the fishing was getting worse ( it was, but it’s all relative).

Back to our home base, we’d have nights where we’d go through 2 dozen eels no problem. Always resident fish around. It was nice to revisit one of those spots 4 seasons ago after years of blanking there and having one of the most epic 4 night stretches in my life, all while fishing “Tyler’s Rock.”

Like RIRock said, though, regardless of the state of the fisheries, fishing like that is for the young (or bum knee, degenerate in my case). I’ll never forget Tyler was fishing the same NE’ster when a certain member on here flipped his boat during it and put in a ridiculous insurance claim.... Tyler was fishing a rock that was completely exposed, taking waves to the chest, and landed a mid 40# fish while Rolex’s and multiple VS’ were floating by in front of us (I kid, I kid... sort of).

So many good fish and this was after the epic fishing of the late 90’s, early 2000’s. What I’d give to go back to those nights, those spots that are forever ingrained in my soul, with the knowledge I have now...
And computers and cologne.

I kinda like the new me and the adventures with the kid. I never cared about catching anything anyway. I just like to fish.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
#^&#^&#^&#^& off
It was a glorified schoolie, Spence has changed the story to a I dropped his 50 in the wash....
It was a 20 and at least I was able to eat it drop boy.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #27
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It was a 20 and at least I was able to eat it drop boy.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #28
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBomba View Post
And computers and cologne.

I kinda like the new me and the adventures with the kid. I never cared about catching anything anyway. I just like to fish.
If I had a kid then I’d be happy catching scup. Good stuff.

I’m sorry if I’m mistaken, but I have a hard time believing you didn’t care about catching large. If I recall correctly, you make an annual pilgrimage to the tip. I’m guessing you banked on big fish there, but if I’m wrong then I apologize. I realize it boils down to more than just to the catching but I’d be surprised if you were there for just schoolies
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #29
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
.....I see Clammer as more of a puff puff guy....
Mike would be the dirty version of "Judge Smails" (Teddy Knight) from Caddyshack...

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #30
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Mike would be the dirty version of "Judge Smails" (Teddy Knight) from Caddyshack...
Lol!