Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #31
thortum

If I post something short it goes through otherwise it gets lost. What sequence [spelling ??] should I be doing?
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #32
fcap60
Frank Capone

ripitsik:

IMHO, 9" sluggos may be the best artificial you can use. Bass and bluefish love them. If you are just starting out, keep it simple.
Buy 3 packs of Black (night) and 3 packs of white (AMs).

You can rig them several ways. My favorites are the following

1. rig them with an 8/O Mustad, through the nose and out the bottom. I wrap thread on the shaft of the hook and add a drop of superglue so the hook adheres to the rubber (PM me for details if you need to), or

2.. the method we know that Steve McKenna uses. (2 hook rigging)

I fish each style a little different from slight sweeps of the rod tip (style 1) to faster constant snaps (style 2).

Oh, and by the way, save your money on buying all those fancy plugs. You'll outproduce them most of the time with sluggos.

Use your favorite scent and have fun.

Good Luck

Frank
fcap60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #33
thortum

I use sluggo's & other plastic baits 60% of the time; flies 30% lures and plugs 10%. Plastics range from 4"-9", mostly white. I use very little weight if any. Add a little weight or a larger hook & let it sink if you want to go deeper. I'm fishing in protected water 8'-25'. If Your fishing days, the brighter the day the deeper you go [but not always]. My retreive ranges from a "stop & go" 4"-12" jerk or snap; to a dead drift; to skipping it across the surface. All work at different times [experiment]. You want your bait to look ALIVE & like it's wounded and, or trying to escape. Throw what ever your fishing with out in front of you and see what it looks like with EACH retrieve. There are very few things that I just throw out and just reel back.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #34
thortum

Fcap60 Eh, Frank,- did you know BIG AL?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #35
wfmdfm

Slugo

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #36
fishermanjim

practice makes perfection,,, try and try agin,,, i like them on a swimming jig head best am going to try them the McKenna way double-hook rigged

take your kids fishing
fishermanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #37
BillM

This summer I was puting heat shrink (the kind they use for elctronics)on my front hooks when rigging my Slugs and it makes the crazy glue hold 100%better.
I learned that ripped and broken sluggos can easily be fixed by heating a knife over a flame and pressing it against them. Get it to melt right back together and it is just as strong as new. Do it outside though so you dont breath in the smoke.
I find that bluefish bite right through the 50lb dacron, and leader material doesnt let them swim natural. Anyone got a better material for rigging the two hook McKenna Method

still by the firelight
and purple moonlight
I hear the rusted river's call
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #38
hemi1
i am speed

steve on you tube

or just type steve mckenna

its a 2 part but it comes up on the side
hemi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #39
WadingWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The only problem I have had rigging them is sometimes the glue hardens to fast and sort of puckers up the rubber and burns it. I'm going to try the slower setting zap a gap.
I had this problem as well. I'm assuming you're rigging them Mckena style. Try pushing the hook in the head first, then pull it out and add the glue and stick it back in, that way the hole is already there and it goes in much easier.

This is my go to lure at night, I've had great luck with the black 9" rigged and fished Mckena style. Fast retrieve with lots of action, when they hit it they hit it HARD, at least thats been my experience. Go to youtube Mckena has videos of how to rig and fish them on there, helped me out quite a bit. Hope this helps you out.
WadingWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #40
MrHunters
What was that!?!

when i just did a search for steve mckena on utube and then clicked on the first video... a related video was britney spears sex tape.... coincidence???
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #41
BillM

Thats not surprising, maybe people are addicted to sex tapes AND striper fishing : )

still by the firelight
and purple moonlight
I hear the rusted river's call
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote