Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #61
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
nooo, I said it didn't work as it was promised it would. Unlike liberals such as yourself, I don't assume that spending more money always makes things better.Have I ever said that?

Obama did other things that worked well. I've said 100 times I think Obama gets good grades on handling the economy. I think the recovery act was a flop, I think the empirical results, compared to promises, make that clear. More importantly is that overall he helped guide us way, way back from a horrible recession.
I showed you facts that indicated it did lower unemployment.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I showed you facts that indicated it did lower unemployment.
Yes, you did say that. You said the fact it's flawed, means it should have been a bigger (more expensive) government program.

I never said unemployment didn't eventually go down after that act was passed. WHat I said, and I'm 100% correct, is that Obama promised unemployment would stay below 8% (or maybe 6%) if it passed, but then after it passed, unemployment went over 10%. Therefore, the program didn't come close to doing what it was touted to do.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #63
PaulS

Quote:
Yes, you did say that. You said the fact it's flawed, means it should have been a bigger (more expensive) government program.

I never said unemployment didn't eventually go down after that act was passed. WHat I said, and I'm 100% correct, is that Obama promised unemployment would stay below 8% (or maybe 6%) if it passed, but then after it passed, unemployment went over 10%. Therefore, the program didn't come close to doing what it was touted to do.
You said that "Unlike liberals such as yourself, I don't assume that spending more money always makes things better". I asked you if I ever said that? So you can't point out where I said spending money always makes things better. As you have said - How about a thread of honesty.

So it made things better but less than Obama said and that makes it a flop?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
You said that "Unlike liberals such as yourself, I don't assume that spending more money always makes things better". I asked you if I ever said that? So you can't point out where I said spending money always makes things better. As you have said - How about a thread of honesty.

So it made things better but less than Obama said and that makes it a flop?
things got better. i don’t know if things got better because of the recovery act. all i know for a fact, is that it didn’t do anywhere near what Obama promised it would, to minimize unemployment. This we know. all else is speculation.

and you said to me, in response
to the bill not working, that it wasn’t big enough, or that the feds didn’t go far enough. funny i recall your posts better than you do.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #65
PaulS

Quote:
things got better. i don’t know if things got better because of the recovery act. all i know for a fact, is that it didn’t do anywhere near what Obama promised it would, to minimize unemployment. This we know. all else is speculation.

and you said to me, in response
to the bill not working, that it wasn’t big enough, or that the feds didn’t go far enough. funny i recall your posts better than you do.
But you said "Unlike liberals such as yourself, I don't assume that spending more money always makes things better".

So my saying it needed more $ wasn't saying "that spending more money always makes things better"

Funny, my reading comprehension is better than yours and you seem not to remember what you claim people said.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #66
PaulS

So what is the hold up with the House vote?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #67
scottw

Quote:
So what is the hold up with the House vote?
probably reflecting on what you said about the o'biden bama stimulus and wondering if we shouldn't just drop 20 trillion because the more the merrier
Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #68
Pete F.
Canceled

There are a couple of geniuses that Kentucky sent to DC, one to spread the virus and one who objects to the cost, so he's willing to add 200K

Leaders in both parties had hoped to pass the measure with a sparsely attended voice vote — remarkable for a bill of such magnitude — so scattered lawmakers don’t have to risk coronavirus exposure by traveling back to Washington. But members who were able and willing to return did so amid fears that iconoclastic Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., an opponent of the bill, may seek to force a roll call vote on Friday.

The office of Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., wrote in an advisory to members Thursday night: "Members are advised that it is possible this measure will not pass by voice vote."

Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., wrote Thursday evening on Twitter: "The CARES Act is historic legislation, which is why I'm driving back to DC to help get this thing over the finish line." The drive from his Kalamazoo-area district back to Washington is nearly 10 hours.

Rep. Dean Phillips

@RepDeanPhillips
Dear @RepThomasMassie: If you intend to delay passage of the #coronavirus relief bill tomorrow morning, please advise your 428 colleagues RIGHT NOW so we can book flights and expend ~$200,000 in taxpayer money to counter your principled but terribly misguided stunt. #thankyou

The House vote on the $2.2 trillion measure comes after an extraordinary 96-0 Senate vote late Wednesday. President Donald Trump marveled at the unanimity Thursday and is eager to sign the package into law. That is if Congress approves it first.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #69
Sea Dangles

I get it Bitchslappedboy
Mailman
Old 03-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #70
Pete F.
Canceled

The White House is trying to establish an alternate reality where in which Trump was a competent, focused leader who saved American people from the coronavirus.

If only it were true.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #71
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I really feel for state leaders, it doesn’t matter which governor you listen to, the frustration with the response and messaging out of the White House is clear. In a Trump presidential like (NOT) response, he has the audacity to say to all in a briefing, he wants them to be more appreciative and after tells Pence he doesn’t want him reaching out to those Trump feels have disrespected him. Many states are starting to have health care systems overwhelmed and Trump is spinning an optimistic view that we can finally open up parts of the country for business. If he were actually Listening to the scientists and if he understand that being so far behind in testing, we can’t possibly know where this has or is going. If the weak minded see this as a message that they can go back to normal, it further enhances the spread.

Daily briefs are Trump rally’s, so appropriate, but I’m sure the base is eating it up.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #72
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I really feel for state leaders, it doesn’t matter which governor you listen to, the frustration with the response and messaging out of the White House is clear. In a Trump presidential like (NOT) response, he has the audacity to say to all in a briefing, he wants them to be more appreciative and after tells Pence he doesn’t want him reaching out to those Trump feels have disrespected him. Many states are starting to have health care systems overwhelmed and Trump is spinning an optimistic view that we can finally open up parts of the country for business. If he were actually Listening to the scientists and if he understand that being so far behind in testing, we can’t possibly know where this has or is going. If the weak minded see this as a message that they can go back to normal, it further enhances the spread.

Daily briefs are Trump rally’s, so appropriate, but I’m sure the base is eating it up.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:48 AM   #73
Sea Dangles

Who knows more about being weak minded?
Old 03-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #74
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The one liners have responded with their usual wisdom, the only ones impressed are in your little circle jerk.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #75
Sea Dangles

Just trying to add levity to a dire situation.
Others, like yourself, pour gas on the fire and think they are helping. I understand your fears but the lashing out is not going to help the weak minded. Stay stronger 💪🏻
Old 03-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #76
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Just trying to add levity to a dire situation.
Others, like yourself, pour gas on the fire and think they are helping. I understand your fears but the lashing out is not going to help the weak minded. Stay stronger 💪🏻
I love your argument and a similar one blue man font put forward, you two must have a grandiose idea about how many people come to read this forum to read your words of wisdom. What do we have 6-8 regulars, all of whom are pretty set in viewpoints, so nothing anyone posts on this forum means anything and it has zero impact to anyone’s life during this crisis.

Some on one side use this forum as an opportunity to vent some frustrations in what we see happening with the federal response and the terrible and dangerous messaging coming from the White House. I believe those of us in the group also know nothing we post will change anyone’s opinion on the other side. in response you three in your mutual admiration society use that opportunity to belittle our concerns, throw childish insults and post some inappropriate attempts at humor. Blue man is less abrasive and chooses to impress us with his cerebral approach to debating our concerns.

I see your posts getting under some people’s skin and you seem to thrive on stirring the pot. If you knew me you would know there isn’t a more confident, optimistic and accepting person around. Your crap rolls right off my back, but it is sometime appropriate to call you out on the endless bull. I don’t ever talk politics with friends, I’ve seen that end a couple friendships during this presidents term, so I use this forum as my place to let out some frustration with politics in general. The itty bitty flame you think I’m flaming in this tiny universe wouldn’t light a cigarette.

Let’s get real, this board is a place to vent it’s nothing more than that at this point, there is little meaningful debate happening here.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #77
Sea Dangles

Thank you for sharing your gibberish.

Stop trying to convince me that you are not afraid. I see the fear in your posts. Classic scared bunny.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #78
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Thank you for sharing your gibberish.

Stop trying to convince me that you are not afraid. I see the fear in your posts. Classic scared bunny.
Like I said IF you knew me and you don’t, my fear is my golf course isn’t going to open soon, only so many pickerel you can catch before it gets old. Am I concerned for my sons who are rubbing elbows with the public out of necessity sure, but don’t confuse concern with fear. Carry on.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #79
detbuch

Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #80
Pete F.
Canceled

You should tell the idiot in the White House to listen