Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #31
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

No..Because it can be Hell here right now being a Sox fan so when we die everything evens out.

So I hope you like it REAL warm!
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:18 PM   #32
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Exclamation

I'm forced to believe there is a Prime Mover in this universe.

Exactly what that is or what it expects of us, I don't know, I would like to understand first hand just "why the heck are we here?"

All I know is, my body is going to be pickled and stuck in a box and tucked away into the Earth, and hopefully won't be dug up by some dumfuk archeologist a few eons from now.

And somebody is going to have to auction off all my fishing crap.

fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #33
Karl F

I think when it's over, it's over.

I'm gonna get char broiled, and have my ashes spread on a certain stretch of sand, that I'd rather spend my time on anyway

If there is a heaven and hell, I'll head "downstairs"... like an old timer said to me once, when I told him he was such a good guy, he would surely go to heaven... his response..

"Oh no, I hope not, I'd rather be with my friends"

I feel the same way, I guess
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #34
KLMulder
I fart in your general direction!!!

Quote:
You go to heven when you die. Unless your a Yankee Fan,
Then I better live for ever, I don't want to spend all eternity in Fenway park.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

Go Yankee's
KLMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #35
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

I dunno, Gilly, I believe that some strong spirits never do die, they continue to go on in another plane or realm that we ordinarily don't get to see - the physical being just craps out on ya at a certain point. I don't know how else to explain it - I guess it depends on how 'sensitive' you are. I've just had some pretty interesting experiences, let's say, so I'm less skeptical than most.

I do believe in a supreme force, but not necessarily a 'being' as such - what is called the Great I Am, maybe it's God, or Buddha, or Jah or Krishna or Jehovah but I don't anthropomorphize - I think really they're all the same thing anyway, everybody just puts a different ethnic skin on them like their own for the comfort factor. Easier to believe God is on your side (for better or worse) if he's your own color, I suppose.

Ultimately, my beliefs lean a little more to the East although I don't really fall into any rigid set of beliefs - even though I'm a lapsed Lutheran.

And I always make a point of honoring the religion of whatever church, temple or shrine I find myself in - I'm just hedgin' my bets and try to keep the Karma clean, maaaaannn, just in case.

So what do I believe?

I'll be baa-aaack....maybe.

The only unanswered question that really worries me is what's gonna happen to my tackle?

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #36
Goose

Faith is choice. I beleive in the Blessed Trinity.

I was lucky enough to have been brought in a family with strong Faith in God. As I became an adult and moved out it is now my choice to practice, learn more, except God in my life...... ooooor (like many do) only fall on Faith when I need it....holidays, sickness, pray for 50#'ers,,, you get the picture.

Like Bloo said and I agree, Faith is the key, the more you have the stronger and more confident you become. Why, because you see results.
Kinda like bass fishin, you search for the info that you want to.....everything is your choice!

Easter for me means we win,, Christains win!

When you die do you want to win?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #37
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

until i see it for myself, when you are dead you are just dead.

i would like to be creamated and my ashes spread over an outgoing tide in the fall. so, i guess in a way, i do beleive in "heaven" but not in a religious way. my eternal happiness is to be a part of what has meant so much to me in my life here for all eternity. (or at least until this little experiment called the human race is through)
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:01 AM   #38
Flaptail

Wink

Someday we will all know the answer to the question so for now just try and lead a good life and be good to each other. Don't sweat what you can never know now.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 AM   #39
Sweetieface

Well, for me, having lost my best friend in the world almost 2 years ago, I have no choice but to believe in life after death. I did anyway, but I do moreso now.

I read an interesting book called "Embraced by the light" - one woman's near death experience. She explains that we actually all start out in Heaven, then are sent here for different experiences to learn different things to better live in Heaven. An interesting theory which she defends well, but I'm not sure as I agree 100%. (lack of pets in Heaven doesn't sit well with me)

Max Lucado is a great writer on such subjects, and his books are FULL of near death experience subjects and those who are about to die and what they see before they go.

My own Grandmother (who died when I was 5) was dying of cancer when she told my mother that she dreamt of a party, all those who had already passed away were there and they told her the party was scheduled for her for that Saturday. She told them that she liked Sunday's better, and she'd be there on Sunday. She was there on Sunday.

As for my own ideas of Heaven, I don't know if we look the same when we get there or if we can fly or do odd things, I just know it will be a constant feeling of happiness, like when the coolest thing in the world happens to you and you feel like you're on top of the world. I think you always have that feeling in Heaven.

I believe it DOES exist and we will see those we love there when we go. I've had enough dreams about Carl to know that he didn't just disappear from existance. I know it sounds corny, but I believe he's somewhere watching over me, (most likely laughing his butt off) and waiting for me. And yes, waiting for me to tear him a new one for fishing alone!!! :P

<Got Fish?>
Sweetieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #40
Sweetieface

Oops! Sorry, one more thing.

Not to book you guys to death but if you want the absolute best book to read if you lose someone special: "Life After Death" or "Why I believe in Life After Death" by Norman Vincent Peale.

It's a little philosophy, a little religion, written by a Priest (pastor?) who saw so many people pass away and their stories are unbelievable. (One couple was in a car accident and while she was unconscious, he passed away. She woke and told the nurses she knew her husband was already gone. Apparently she said she had a vision/dream where she saw him walking down this road, an they walked together for a bit and then he told her she could not go on with him, she would have to go back, it was not her time, etc etc... goosebumpy story.)

Its an out of print impossible-to-find book in stores, but I have a few copies I found online...

<Got Fish?>
Sweetieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:27 PM   #41
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

....think about it.
Attached Images

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:57 AM   #42
milo

Yeah I beleive...was born and raised Catholic...and beleive me I will be at that Gate for a while before they let me in ,but I wiil get in...
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #43
rocketman

Ever see what happens when you pull the plug on a tv set?

Thats what I think will happen.

If I'm right, oh well...If I'm wrong I'm in for a pleasant surprise.

Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you've got, the less poop you taste.
rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #44
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

i believe we just die. and evolution
but i teach my children the power and fear of a "higher power" to make them better people.

i found jesus though!
he was hiding under the couch the whole time.

Last edited by thefishingfreak; 04-11-2004 at 08:39 PM..

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:26 AM   #45
Mrs. Crafty

My husband went fishing for trout yesterday way up in Massachusetts and he was gone from 3 in the morning until 8:30 last nite. If he does that on a regular basis he's going to have a near death experience very shortly. All he caught was one 5 pound sucker out of what he said was a school of maybe 100 fish he found in a small stream laying in the currents. He did say they were mostly suckers but he said there were also a few big rainbow trouts in there too with them.

I don't mind if he goes but I do get worried sometimes because of the places he goes to aren't safe I don't think. He says he's careful but I wonder.

Anyway, I didn't mean to change the subject, but I don't really believe in a "hereafter" - and I majored in religious pholosophy. But that's just what I believe.

Besides, if there really was a heaven your pets would be there too waiting for you.

Mrs. Crafty
Mrs. Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #46
Hooper
Southsider

Well,

I was not raised in a religious family. But, I ws taught the difference betweeen right and wrong. A Christian would say that I am not saved until I accept Jesus, and that may be so...

But, when I a bit younger, I was told to read a book, and I read it. Can't remember the name, but I remember the message.

It explained that we are here on Earth to learn lessons. If we learn them, we will move on to a higher exsistence. If not, we must come back again until we do. To me, that made sense. Why else would all of this crap we go through in life occur? Tradgedies like the loss of a child, a parent or a friend. The choices we as humans face everyday to do the right thing or the wrong thing....

It may not be the absolute answer in this universe, but it give me a bit of perspective for why things happen and what i can learn from it. I think about some of the things that have happended in my life and to my friends and family and it makes a bit of sense for me.

-Hooper
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:25 AM   #47
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

In My Beliefs= One of the more wonderful things about believing in Jesus Christ is that even if you've never believed and your on your death bed, if you ask for forgiveness from the heart...forgive-ness will be granted. Just keep in mind, if we're keeping something like that as an ace in our back pocket, beware - we'll be in for a greater surprise than we could ever imagine. Knowledge is power, and by knowing and choosing not to believe makes us twice as guilty.

Jesus Christ does NOT hide. It is we, that hide from him. 601 views with 45 replys. We are the ones that hide my friend

I sometimes lose track, but never lose Faith. There are many interpretations of God, just as there are of the Bible. It was left wide open, not forced upon anyone. "Faith" was the first choice given to mankind back in the "Garden". Man just needed to keep Faith in order to gain eternal life. God asked the couple to trust in him, yet they failed. It is very hard to believe in what you can't see. How many times do you go fishing for hours to not catch a fish, yet you still believe there are fish out in front of you, "you believe" in what you physically can't see ...it's called "Faith" my friends. Well think of it like this, Christ is the biggest fisherman of them all, He too believes that we as fish are somewhere out there and He is much more patient than we are because He never packs up His gear and goes home. If you really feel like there could be this higher power, keep your options open as well as your heart.

Ok, my sermons' over. Keep the replys coming please, I'm very interested in hearing your views.

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #48
Bliz

Send a message via AIM to Bliz Send a message via Yahoo to Bliz
I believe that Christ was correct in His assertion that He was the way to the father and not "a way"... as many believe.

The tomb of every other worshipped diety contains the bones of those who were worshipped as "god" EXCEPT for Jesus Christ.

Only God has the power to lay down His life and take it back up again!...

Even time is measured by His birth around the world! Despite what other cultures believe!

Ever notice that there is no other "dieties" name that is used in vain apart from that of the name of Jesus Christ?...

How many of you have ever smashed your elbow on something, or got upset and then yelled out "BUDDAH!" or "MUHAMMED!"... or "Hare H. Krishna!"...

It's only Christ whose name is taken in vain, because there is a satan as there is a God, and it is God's name that he drags through the mud... and not those of the other supposed "dieties"
that are out there.

Have you ever noticed that it's much easier to talk about Buddhism, Islam and other eastern religions than it ever has been to talk about Christianity, or more specifically, about Jesus Christ or what the Bible says in today's society?...

The reason for this is because the Bible reveals the fullness of Who Christ is, and the Words of the Bible are living and active, and sharper than a two edged sword which divides bone and marrow, soul and spirit, and in addition, it judges the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Thus it's no wonder that people are afraid or offended by it!

The Bible is THE map left for us for finding salvation in addition to being the only "living" document that has ever existed !

People would rather lean on vain philosophy, or their own perceptions rather than to accept the truth that is communicated through the Scriptures...

Bloocrab noticed this very thing when he mentioned the number of responses to his post as opposed to the number of viewers...

He's onto something very important!... and true!

Great observation Bloo!...

There is a satan whose goal is to keep you and me from finding THE Way that leads to eternal life! And Gilly's observation is right on the money!

Secularism is everywhere!

Ever notice that colleges changed B.C. & A.D. to BCE and ACE...

What was that all about?... It was all about removing the belief of God in a classroom!

Even the very institutions that were founded by the church in this nation have removed God and all references to His name!

Not just schools, but also our Judicial Supreme Court System...

And in it's place, a different religion is and has been tuaght in the Public Schools and Universities... called evolution.

And...

Depsite the secularist philosophy of this day, Christ had made a very politically incorrect statement in saying that He was THE way, THE truth, and THE life, yet He rose from the dead proving the assertions that He made, and thus proved He is God incarnate...

He has raised Himself above every other worshipped "diety" by claiming that He alone was THE way, truth, and life, and that nobody comes to the Father but through Himself...

That's a pretty bold statement that Christ made!

Yet He proved His identity when he arose from the dead!

No other world religion has made the bold claims that were made by Christ, and nobody but Christ was able to have proved those claims to be the only source of truth by raising themselves from the dead!

It's amazing to me what people will turn towards, when they turn away from the Truth...

For example,

As I have mentioned before, the popular "scientific" belief that Nobody plus nothing equals everything is the equasion of a fool...

There are many more evidences that exist which validate the message of the Scriptures as being an integrated message system from a Creator who is outside of our time domain Who in Himself is the source of all things.

I was once a skeptic, but then examined the evidence and concluded that the Scriptures are the infallible Word of the living God.

Some of the stunning discoveries I have made from science and more importantly, the Scriptures are as startling as life they are life changing!...

Those who follow the philosophy that our origins are "from the goo... to the zoo... to you"... need to take a closer look at what "science" has failed to sucessfully explain regarding the issue of origins...

You'll be shocked to discover that science has no tangable evidence for the origins of life whatsoever.... It is what secular scientists believe, rather than what they actually know...

Fact is, evolution is not science at all... it's a belief system that denies the existence of a Creator in order to try and justify one's own actions...

As I have also mentioned before...

An Atheist or secular "scientist" doesn't want to see God anymore than a thief wants to see a police officer!...

Science claims that matter literally evolved from nothing, and all of the matter in the universe later shrunk up into a tiny particle that begun to spin... and exploded!

a.k.a. the "Big Bang" Theory...

Scientists do not know where the matter came from, nor do they know where the energy came from to gather it, make it spin & explode, and yet they call this "science"...

And if you study physics and the laws of angular momentum (especially in a frictionless environment such as space...), if Big Bang were to be true, everything should be spinning in the same direction as the initial explosion that "started it all"...

But if you examine the universe, you'll find that not to be the case.

There are planets whose satellite moons are spinning and orbiting in the opposite direction as compared to others...

It is these types of evidences that blow holes in theories that are taught as "facts"...

That's not science friend... it's indoctrination!

Some of these secular "scientists" claim that gradual processes created order (which is also contrary to the basic laws of physics) and that through multiple mutations, order came from chaos.

Fact is, mutations have never ever produced anything new... just as one could not scramble the word Christmas & come up with words like "xerox" or "king"...

Nothing new has ever come from a mutation...

Mutations merely scamble the information that is already there...
and in the majority of mutations that exist, they have been anything BUT beneficial to a living organism!

In addition to this,

The fossil record has ZERO transition fossils in it, which supports the creation hypothesis that every living thing was made individually to reproduce after it's own kind...

Just as the Bible clearly points out.

There are many ideas floating around out there on Who or what God is, but if you consult the Scriptures, you'll find the answers to the most pertinent questions regarding God, man's origin and his destiny...

Scientists are not looking for a missing link, but rather they are looking for ANY link in the fossil record...

Fact is, to this day no such link exists. There are no proven transition fossils anywhere!

Thus the very term "the missing link" is deceptive from the outset given the fact that there are no links anywhere!

Let alone a chain with a link missing!!!

You would think with the millions of fossils that exist, that there would be at least some transition fossils in the mix?

There are none!

And yet this garbage can still be found as evidence for evolution in public school textbooks today.

Origins are an important issue, because if there is a God
(which there is...) Then there is a purpose to life whereas if there is no God, life is purposeless and meaningless beyond our physical existence...

Thus we see the philosophy that governs much of the world today... which says...

"Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!"

There is not one shred of evidence in science that falls contrary to the scriptural account of origins.

However, there are many problems for those who hold to evolution as an answer to lifes most pressing questions of our origin and destiny.

The Scriptural evidence for the supernatural origin of the Scriptures are even more stunning than the physical evidences that we see in science that exist!

There is MUCH MUCH more to say concerning these things as well as in science than a mere thread could possibly allow.

If anyone would like to know about them, I'd be more than happy to share on them personally and invite you to check the evidences out for yourselves...

The Bible even has a viable explaination for the dinosaurs which the physical evidences of science actually seem to suggest today...

but you won't see it in a textbook at a school anywhere...

I assure you!

It amazes and angers me that so many have been duped by the false religion of this day which is hidden under the disguise of "science" ...called "evolution".

It is by definition a religion... just as Christianity is...

The only difference is that the religion of evolution is tax funded whereas Christianity is not.

Life has a purpose and a destiny, and there is a Personal Creator who has made all things.

He promises that those who search for Him will find Him when they search for Him with their whole heart.

I was a skeptic until 1989 when I made the most amazing discovery, that my entire life was changed by it.

The evidence absolutely blew me away.

For those who are skeptics like I was, I'm happy to show you some of the bizzarre evidences I had stumbled upon which had changed my life forever...

Christ is not a liar or lunatic... He is the Lord of all creation whether one recognizes it or not.

As I had mentioned, there is MUCH more to say on this, but unfortunately, it cannot be done in a mere thread...

Last edited by Bliz; 04-14-2004 at 11:48 AM..
Bliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #49
Goose

That was some of the best information I've read in a long time. And yes I'm lookin forward to hearing more.

Our fear cancels our faith - but if we choose to take the risk of faith - we soon learn that it was our fears that were the real risk!
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #50
Bliz

Send a message via AIM to Bliz Send a message via Yahoo to Bliz
It takes more faith to deny the undeniable existence of God than it does to believe that He is, and does exist.

One merely need to view the creation itself to see and know that it had a designer!

God created the world with design and purpose so that all men will one day be without excuse.

Man does know of the existence of God, for God has written it on the hearts of men.

but rather... many deny God's existence in order to "justify" their own sinful nature which is common to all of us.

The message of salvation is offensive to those who are perishing...

however...

It is abundant life to the listener! Faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the Word of God!

I guess it's time for me to get off of the soap box now to hear what others have to say...
Bliz is offline   Reply With Quote