Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 01-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
Canalratt1

Model 1878 Springfield Rifle

My sister-in-law's boyfriend has a Model 1878 rifle. Looking for any websites or info on this gun. It is an older hammer style rifle looks to be military issue. I think it is a 45 caliber. It is in excellant condition even the firing pin is intact. I contacted Springfieldamory.com but they did not manufacture this gun. I do have a phone number for the Springfield Amory musuem in Springfield Ma. Any info appreciated

Canalratt1
Canalratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #2
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Exclamation

Canal Rat -

I'm paraphrasing 22nd Edition of Blue Book of Gun Values: Page 1261:

Springfield Armory was the country's first federal armory which was located in Springfield, Mass. Production started in 1795 - the gov't made it the official armory in 1872.

This is NOT to be confused with the private firm of the same name lcoated in Geneseo, IL.

I don't see an 1878 listed - you sure that's the number? It smells like .45-70 gov't cal. Some of the 1870-1881 series are very valuable - sporting values as high as $35,000!

Tell your bro to take the gun to an appraiser, or at least query NRA (see the American Rifleman mag for contact info) for a ballpark estimate!

-WW
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Canalratt1

Thanks! I'll double check but it appears to be a Model 1878

Canalratt1
Canalratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
is it a trap door action? i have one sort of like the one you described, military issue, the place to put the brass cap is filled on mine.

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote