Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

B's vs Canes Thread

OKAY diehard B's fans... lets here your predictions for this series. Carolina is coming off an emotional win and they were hot down the stretch in the regular season. B's handled them easily all year but will this be different? I say B's in 5 and start my guess with a 2-0 shutout by Thomas tonight....

whattayathink????

GO BRUINS!

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Bronko

I think the B's win the series in 6. Carolina played great hockey down the stretch, Staal was fantastic. Cam Ward was brilliant in the net. I don't like the Bruins tonight though. 9-10 days off between games in any sport is brutal especially hockey. I am sure they worked hard trying to keep the intensity level up, but Carolina just finished a series and will be looking to keep on rolling. Tough one tonight.

I will be at the game and will report back in the am!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

I just scored face value balcony tix for the game off of CL!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
buckman

I'll go with B's in 5 also. Rough start tonight but they get stronger towards the end of games.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
I think the B's win the series in 6. Carolina played great hockey down the stretch, Staal was fantastic. Cam Ward was brilliant in the net. I don't like the Bruins tonight though. 9-10 days off between games in any sport is brutal especially hockey. I am sure they worked hard trying to keep the intensity level up, but Carolina just finished a series and will be looking to keep on rolling. Tough one tonight.
I agree with Peter, but I'm leaning toward 7 games. Their goalie is very good.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Surfcaster2884

I see this being a 6 or 7 game series. Carolina has excellent goal tending and are an all around fast team. Goals are going to be tough to come by the way they've been playing. The B's key to winning is to keep playing physical but staying out of the box. It's going to be a great series.

"That large bass rise in the dim light of the false dawn, and take my steel-lipped swimmer. It will thrash, pull like mad and throw water all over the place before it dives for refuge.
This is why I am a surfcaster." - D.J. Muller
Surfcaster2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Bruins in 6. They have dominated the 'Canes this year and I think the dominance continues in this series.

I only say 6 because of the amount of time they have been off. While good for bumps and bruises, it sucks for timing etc..... If Boston wins tonight I say Bruins in 5.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
HookLine&Sinker

bruins in 5. 3-1 tonight....

Edit...

if bruins win tonight i think they will win in 4 or 5,

if they lose then it will go 6 or 7......

i actually hope it goes to 7 games so i actually have something to look forward to watch on tv....

Last edited by HookLine&Sinker; 05-01-2009 at 02:31 PM..
HookLine&Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
InTheHole

Canes are on an emotional high, B's had too much of a layoff... I don't like the Bruins chances tonight, if they do lose tonight I think they will rebound quickly but still won't take 4 straight so B's in 6

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

lookin good

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
HookLine&Sinker

ehhh, i was close enough..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
HookLine&Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:09 AM   #12
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Only thing I can complain about is the fact that Thomas got run over twice. Me thinks that will stop soon.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

My 7 year old son

and I were walking through the new Sports Authority last week. We hit the sports apparel section where they have all the sports jerseys. My son says "Daddy, I know who #33 is on the Bruins" I reply " Oh yeah Bubba who is it?"

He responds "Jose-o Chara" I nearly fell over laughing.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

One observation, the B's were having a hard time getting the puck out of their zone via up the boards. Carolina does a good job of cutting those avenues off and caused a bunch of turnovers, which could have been worse as far as scoring chances. They need to look at that and maybe try skating it out of the zone up the middle or passing up the middle more. Other than that not much to complain about. They looked very good.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Great game, solid win. Not a high level of "playoff intensity" and it was rather tame on the rough play. Regardless, watching it live it seemed to me that Carolina does not have a prayer to take this series. IMO the B's out-hustled and outplayed them for most of the night. Thomas was solid when he needed to be and the B's always find ways to score. This may be a sweep too....

Old 05-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Great game. The B's just plain win all the small battles. They never give up on the puck and that is what wins.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
Bronko

Bruins struggled at time and were trapped in their end a lot. Their own zone defense is as good as I have seen. They have completely bought into Julien's defensive scheme. Carolina played poorly. Love the Bruins tomorrow night. Can't wait!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
moosh
And the search goes on

Bruins great on the forecheck , Ill Take Bs in 5 . They have to stop the charging on Thomas , its nothing but a cheap shot ,That cant happen ever ,send a message ....
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
spence

WTF??? do you have to subscribe to Versus to watch this game? I don't see it on anything on regular cable even HD?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

channel 65 Comcast in my town. I don't subscribed, not to my knowledge anyway. Not going to happen tonite. B's looked a little flat early and Ward was fantastic. Oh well I said 7 games so they can loose 2 more.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #21
luds
Night Stalker

Canes' goalie was amazing. Sucks that the B's lost but fun to watch him. You had to appreciate it.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #22
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Ward stood on his head but the B's missed some open nets too. Disallowed goal was a goal. I still say B's in 5....

Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #23
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

B's were flat- a stride behind most of the night, 'canes played a little desperate- their goalie made some phenom saves. B's in 6...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #24
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

You know it was bound to happen as far as a slow down on the B's part. I think they still take it in 6.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
Mr. Sandman

I think B's in 6 as well. You have to expect the canes will take a couple on wards hot goal tending. I think we will get at least one win while in NC.

I think they thought they could win without playing 100%..I mean after all we took them 5 games in a row and we didn't play all that well in the first playoff game. Why come out with everything if you don't need to. But I think the message got thru in game 2.

I look for a much more physical game by the B's...the Canes don't play physical we can pound them pretty good, and make them hesitate a little when heading into the corners and up the walls...but we have to stay out of the box. We need more up-tempo play like the 3rd period of the last game and we need good hard checks by the big b's.

Should be a good game tonight. They will be into the game tonight.

IMO Versus is doing a decent job with the playoffs. NBC was good too. Tonight we are NSSN.

My worry is the Caps...I hope they Pens beat up the caps good and Ovi gets an upper angel sprain or something. As good as he is, I don't care for his style of play. He just loops the circles and wait for the feed and shoots on everything. He has a great shot but someone has to slam is ass hard and knock him down a few times. He dishes it out but he rarely gets touched.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 05-06-2009 at 10:18 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
My worry is the Caps...I hope they Pens beat up the caps good and Ovi gets an upper angel sprain or something. As good as he is, I don't care for his style of play. He just loops the circles and wait for the feed and shoots on everything. He has a great shot but someone has to slam is ass hard and knock him down a few times. He dishes it out but he rarely gets touched.
Ovechkin is a very physical player. Next time you're watching the Caps, focus on him when he doesn't have the puck. He doesn't get touched much because he avoids it, but he isn't shy about putting the hurt on the other guy. He is a lot tougher than he gets credit for. In this series, keep an eye on him when he's on the ice with Malkin. There is some bad blood there and Ovechkin isn't shy about going after him.

As for the B's, I think they'll be fine. They play well on the road and as good as Ward is, it will be tough for him to keep standing on his head the way he did on Sunday. I'd like to see the B's play a little more physical, too. When they do that, it creates scoring opportunities.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #27
Bassinthebay

Me and my friend Bud Light have been waiting all week for this game...

Bruins need to come out PHYSICAL... BIG TIME. I feel like Carolina had a distinct edge on Sun, and we need to put our foot down, and get an early lead.

I would put money that you see Lujic or Thornton drop the gloves early...

Only problem is that Ive got to watch both the Celts and the Bs at the same time.
Bassinthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #28
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
#$%%$^&% cant believe we lost

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Great playoff hockey but a disheartening result. B's got outshot two to one and cannot expect to move on without taking more shots instead of trying to make the perfect play. ALL THREE Canes goals came as a result of B's give-aways. Friday night now a must-win........

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #30
Mr. Sandman

Depressing...I thought we had them at the start of OT, be bombarded ward but ward held his ground.

You are right about the number of shots...we need a lot more, the O was only there for spurts...we need it for 60 min.

There is no reason we can't beat these guys, they are not ***that*** good and not very deep. Granted ward and staal are great players, but we can contain staal and beat ward.

We need to HIT more, SHOOT more and let them know we mean business. It is time to wipe that caviler smile off the face of the B's and hit the %$%$%$%$ out of them. I noticed they coughed up the puck a few times when they saw #17 headed in their direction...Clean hitting works on these guys.
My Bro' in law lives in Raligh and I have to deal with phone calls during each game...come on Boston, it looks like you don't want it.
Fri is a must win.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote