Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 06-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Overnight Canyon Trip 6/18-6/19

I got the call that every offshore fisherman wants to get Friday night. My brother calls me up and says hey I'm heading to the canyons tomorrow morning for an overnighter and want to know if you want to go. The water is great and there are plenty of fish to be had. Rumors of marlin and big sickle finned yellowfins are floating about the docks from some of the heavy hitters and we got into them pretty good a few days ago. So I said I'll be there in the morning. When I get down south we load up the boat with all the necesary gear, bait, and ice we'll need; take on some fuel and point the big rocket ship towards the east to see what it holds for us. As we get closer to the edge the water is warming up nicely and changing to that all so familiar cobalt color so we search for the break and soon enough put in the spread. No sooner do we get the spread out when we get covered up with skippies. Not what we want but they are excellent tuna bait and well take 'em. We redeploy the spread when off to the starboard side we notice not 1 not 2 but 5 white's finning themselves so we swing the spread right over them and 2 light up and slash at the bait. Drop one back and nothing. We circle them for some time and they seem only half interested in the spread but interested enough for us to spent a bit of time with them. We tried all the usual tricks, dropping back, stalling , quick twitch and few other tricks for no joy but it was a great sign. Marlin seen early in the trip. As we press further to our destination for the night we have a few guest in the spread and 3 of the rods scream off some line. We on and they are YFT's! One pops off and we land 2 30-40 lbers. The YFT cherry is popped for 2011!!! Once the fish are on board and the hiooks removed back into the spread they go. Birds are picking the surface we are marking bait but that is all the action until the night comes.

We decide to have dinner and put out the chum for some sharks hoping for a mako. It didn't take long for a few blue sharks to show, and some big browns. Fun to catch but not what we are after so we send down the sword bait in hopes of a sword and put more meat on the hooks for Mr. Mako. A few more sharks caught and released and then the line goes off and the hook is set. The line races off and we are hooked to something. We are excited to see what it is and after a few minutes of getting line back Mr. mako shows this time by way of a jump. Great sign. He make one more run and this time he is gassed so I leader him and my brother off him with the shot gun. Tailroped and hung. We accomplish on of our 3 goals. The rest of the night is quiet, no more makos.
Once false light is upon us we put out the spread. Maybe a big eye maybe a YFT who knows but it looks awesome and 3 minutes into the troll with birds going nuts so did the tuna. The whole spread got blasted by nice yellow fin ranging from 50 -100 lbs. Grabbing rods over each other under each other leadering gaffing reeling. This went on for 3 hours. after 50 or so tuna caught some kept to our limit and the rest released we decide to head home tired and with a front coming at us. We could have had 100 yellows if we stayed it was all out blitzburg. So final tally a whole $hitload of skippies, 1 mako,decent shots and viewed whites and a conservative 50 yft's and some quality ones in the mix ;I'd say it was an awesome trip.
I think I might go back next weekend. There were reports of blue marlin hooked up to other boats but broke off while dancing on the surface. It was unbelievable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunamako.jpg (203.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg canyon trip 012.jpg (235.4 KB, 89 views)

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canyon trip 003.jpg (372.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg canyon trip 007.jpg (396.9 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by keeperreaper; 06-20-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
WOW great report and trip! You owe your brother big time for that trip.

Can I be your older brother?

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by PRBuzz; 06-20-2011 at 05:50 PM..
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
niko

nice report and catch. kr getting it done

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
FISHING_FOOL

Sounds like an epic trip!
FISHING_FOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
tautog

Nice job. What was the water temp? Which Canyon? Hope do do one next week.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPI I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same
tautog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Bronko

My yellowfin filets arrive at my office when?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

The Spencer 75 degrees. Pete I have plenty for ya kid.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
saltyric

Damn that mako looks tasty

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Typhoon

WOW

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

Nice.......Sounds like you guys made a few memories! It is a special place out there. I love it, it's hard to explain but when you get out there it really is another world. It is like heaven for fishermen.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 06-21-2011 at 07:23 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Sea Flat

congrats on a great trip and thanks for such an awesome report. Love hearing good fish tales. Makes me wish I was on the water right now.

Sea Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
fish4striper

Awesome read Matt, trip of a lifetime for most people
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Matt, when you going to get me out for one of these deals. I be at the outer Cape from 6/24-7/7.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
golden*

nice job man - missed your call this afternoon. ill buzz you tomorrow, gary had a big big mako up over the wreck50 mi east of ptown

The Artist Formerly Known As Wannabe Beach Bum
golden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
iamskippy

nice report and trip, grats
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote