Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I POD

My wife just gave me an iPod for my b-day and it is way over my limited computer skills, I think, maybe not. It is called an iPOD Touch. Any users and any advise. Looks like it will be pretty cool though once i learn the ropes. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You strike me as a Guy that Prefers Vinyl....The Good Old Days

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
stripermagnet

if the directions it came with arent enough, i know that books stores, such as barnes and nobles carry whole books that explain everything in great detail
stripermagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
EarnedStripes44

ok brethren. You have two options here. You will need to download itunes. Once there, you may purchase music and/or burn music into the program library. Or you can get music for free albeit illegal aka filesharing. Try Limewire, but beware, depending on the volume you download, the RIAA may come for you while you sleep.
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I have been using limewire for years. Have enough for a lifetime, several. Only once and a bluemoon now. I did the itunes thing. Now I will have to up load my music into that and then download it on to the ipod thingy.
Vinyl was much simpler.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 03-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Slick Moedee

Once you get there you will be happy. I am also a recent I Poder and still am bewildered that I have my entire collection available where ever I am. Good luck.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
mosholu
Mosholu

Once you have itunes installed it is dead easy. Just slide you cds in and they will be loaded on to itunes. You may want to upgrade the headphones. I use the Etymotic 6i which I think are pretty good. I travel a lot for business and going back to the states to fish, I mean see my family, and the ipod has vastly improved my life. I can travel with 200 -300 albums. The sound is not as great as an LP but I have found it is only really a problem on classical stuff and 50's jazz where the compression takes away some of the the space between the instruments. On modern stuff recorded on pro tools etc. I think you would be tested to tell the difference.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I have been using limewire for years. Have enough for a lifetime, several. Only once and a bluemoon now. I did the itunes thing. Now I will have to up load my music into that and then download it on to the ipod thingy.
Vinyl was much simpler.
Professor, Itunes should have given you the option of converting all of your music files when you downloaded the program. If not, go to the help tab and it will tell you how to upload all the music that's already on your computer. Good luck with it. I rarely listen to the radio or cd's since I got the Ipod.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
fishaholic18
Finally

I just drag and drop songs onto mine. I have an MP3 though, not sure if u can on IPODs

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Raven

hey Paul

wish i could help

but regardless of that

A big Happy Birthday to you
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
Slingah

HBD gramps
good luck...like Karl said, have a teenager show ya...

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
saltfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
got teenagers?

ya must be missing yer 8 track... always had to stuff a ziz zag pack under the led zep 2 tape to get it to play right...
DUUUUDE!
saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #13
Adam_777

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/9778/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/85fb/

If you have tapes and vinyl you want to make digital there's some links for cool tools to help you.Just make sure you back up all of your library on a portable hard drive and store it.When the big crash comes you will still have it all.Ipods are a great way to bring your music with you anytime but they can also be hard to learn at first.You'll be fine man just gotta play with it.Happy b-day by the way.I don't use an ipod for mine I use a creative Zen so I can't help you in the learning process.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #14
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
got teenagers?

ya must be missing yer 8 track... always had to stuff a ziz zag pack under the led zep 2 tape to get it to play right...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
vineyardblues

Get a pack of zig Zag and relax, your way to old to play with this thing.
Only fooling around with ya Paul, I am sure you still have the Bong you made in machine shop class in 1974......................

Last edited by vineyardblues; 03-29-2008 at 08:45 AM..
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks guys. This is going to be good. I am really excited to get this thing up and running. I talked to my nephew last nite and he gave me a few pointers. I will have some more questions I am sure so bear with me.
Thanks Raven.
Peter you are never too old to play with your thing.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thank you I will take you up on that.
Like the avatar. "Anyone moves the inappropriate racial slur gets it", classic film.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I meant your avatar, although FZ would have fit right in Blazing Saddles.

Question: When they say you have to put your own music in the itunes site, like a cd or a tune from a cd, are you loading it onto your own hard drive as well as putting into the itunes site? I just don't want to load all my cd's into my hard drive, or are they stored on their site for me to access everytime i go there so i can download it to the ipod.
Question: Is plugging into a computer via a USB port the only way to charge the thing?

Thank you

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
GonnaCatchABig1
must find the fish

iTunes works from yer hardrive.. anything in your itunes library is on yer hardrive. (somethings can be streamed in iTunes, but you cant put those on the iPod since you dont have the file)

dont confuse yer iTunes library with the iTunes store. the iTunes store is to buy music from. when you buy it you then download it to your hardrive. it will be placed in the folder you designated for your iTunes library.

there is a setting (i cant remember if its on by default or not) in iTunes that will organize the music folder into sub folders based on bands then on albums. it will also rename the files according to song name. (or you can change to song names+album name etc.) it's pretty nifty if ya ever hafta find a file.

anyway iTunes library = music you own and is on yer hardrive
iTunes store = music/movies/podcasts/internet radio you can buy (some is free mostly the internet radio stuff)

also there are usb chargers you can buy. i think like $15-$30.

welcome to the good side. ipods are incredibly handy. i was against them for a long time. then i played around with my friends and went and got one like the next week. very easy to use. and waaaay more convienet then mixed tapes and cds. once you get used to it.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
GonnaCatchABig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thank you. Does all my mp3's, shared folder from Limewire , and any other music I put in from various cd's go to that itunes library, and will all the music on my computer only be in that program or will I have multiple copies of tunes in different folders through out my hard drive. i don't mind having all the music on my hard drive I just don't want redundant copies. I hope I am making myself understandable.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #21
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

hey, there's no shame in playing vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You strike me as a Guy that Prefers Vinyl....The Good Old Days
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #22
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Thank you. Does all my mp3's, shared folder from Limewire , and any other music I put in from various cd's go to that itunes library, and will all the music on my computer only be in that program or will I have multiple copies of tunes in different folders through out my hard drive. i don't mind having all the music on my hard drive I just don't want redundant copies. I hope I am making myself understandable.
On my computer (a mac) music that is already on the harddrive itunes will copy it and you will have two files. Another thing that you can do to save space once you have everything loaded on to itunes is to move your itunes folder to an external drive.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thank you. Lots to do.
Question: I have a wireless router in my house. Will the ipod recognize this so i can go on line with it. It says safari can't open the page because it can't find the server. Probably have to do some high tech mubo jumbo information stuff right? Sorry for my limited computer knowledge

Old 03-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #24
chris L

for me the IPOD is the best thing invented . I have over 3500 songs on my ipod and I listen to it all the time , When Im walking , betting on horses , at work , through my truck stereo ( customized ) , at home and even when I am fishing . I have my library on 3 machines and backed up to an external harddrive just in case of failure .

I have the video and you can drag and drop your songs right into your Ipod . set it up so that you manage it manually in the options . also turn off any sharing on your machine unless you want anyone to access your machine .
PM its so easy that even the older gen folks can do it . LOL

before anyone gets stupid im next to 50
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #25
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Thanks for the info Chris. I was up till 1 last nite fiddling with it. Put a bunch of songs on it. I am now post 50 years so it does take me a lot longer to figure out this new technology. I think it is like anything, intimidating when you first try it but fun as hell once you get the hang of it. I am going to stick to figuring out the tunes and pictures first then I will tackle the e-mail web browsing aspects after.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #26
chris L

I know !
if there is anything I can help with just ask . I dont have all the bells and wistles with mine . just audio and video . I just need my music . I catch myself hanging in my truck more now that I customized the sound in it .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #27
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

When you want to import a cd into the itunes program does it import it as a Mp3 file or a much larger file, in other words do i need to convert the cd to mp3's first before i load it into itunes to save space??

Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #28
mosholu
Mosholu

You have a choice and I believe (although I never have done this) that you can load FLAC files (and mp4 movie files) on to it but it will take up a lot more room. The standard is to make it an mp3.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #29
mosholu
Mosholu

Apologies for not being clear. The answer to your question is no the itunes will make a mp3 files from the CD you import automatically unless you desire something else.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
Clogston29
xxx

Here's some info that could save you some frustration down the line.

If your ipod freezes up on you:

Check that your hold switch is off by sliding the switch away from the headphone jack.2. Press and hold the following combination of buttons buttons simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds to reset the iPod.

- iPod 1G to 3G: “Menu” and “Play/Pause“
- iPod 4G+ (includes Photo, Nano, Video, and Mini): “Menu” and “Select“
- Shuffle: Turn it off, turn it on. Done.

If you have an iPod Mini or 4th gen iPod or higher, then you need to press the Menu and Select buttons, not the Menu and Play button, to restart. The Select button is the center button in the middle of the wheel. Upon reset, your will see the iPod name and the Apple logo. You may have to attach your power plug in your iPod to make this work. Your iPod should mount on your computer now. If not, keep reading.3. The iPod name and the Apple logo will briefly appear upon a successful restart before advancing to the Main Menu.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote