Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

And HISTORY marches on.................

These guys are off the charts and are writting their own record books.

Gotts ta LOVE it!!!!!!

Has any city ever won all three Champeenships ~MLB, NFL, and the NBA? This could be really really exciting in a few months. I'll take this though and i'm in no hurry to see this team, Our NE Patriots, fulfill it's destiny.

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Slammer223

I want to say Baltimore came close in the early Seventies.It's funny how you didn't include hockey as a major sport,very indicative of their loss in popularity.Brady and Moss seem to just be playing catch in the backyard sometimes.Oops,the moment I typed that a Miami defender interrupted their game of catch with Brady's seventh (yes 7th) pick of the year.Geez Louise.I think some poor soul had 5 or 6 picks in one game this year.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Slammer223

In 1969 the Jets won the Super Bowl,and the Mets won the World Series.Now the 1968-1969 Celtics won the NBA Championship,but the New York Knicks won the 1969-1970 title.Close but no cigar.Can anyone come up with one better?1986 was a special year as the Celts won,and the Sox and Pats went to the World Series and the Super Bowl respectively.I was off on the Baltimore answer.I think the Colts and Orioles did win in 1971 though.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Game reminded me of going to watch the Globetrotters!!!
The Pats team is unreal.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

someone tell that crackhead morris that the patriots are walking up his front walkway....

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer223 View Post
I want to say Baltimore came close in the early Seventies.It's funny how you didn't include hockey as a major sport,very indicative of their loss in popularity.Brady and Moss seem to just be playing catch in the backyard sometimes.Oops,the moment I typed that a Miami defender interrupted their game of catch with Brady's seventh (yes 7th) pick of the year.Geez Louise.I think some poor soul had 5 or 6 picks in one game this year.
I love hockey and DO consider it one of the four major sports, i just didn't think that the Bruins were germaine to the question.

If the "B's" were a better team, and had even the remotest of shots at The Stanley Cup, then we could be considering an all 4 Champs Feat, that I know has never been done! Gonna have to get out the Sports Almanac for the Cities that may or may not have done this.

I think that you're right, Slammer, Baltimore accomplished the two sports Championships in the early 70's! Earl Weaver, Jim Palmer, Don Baylor, Boog Powell, Davey Johnson, and Brooks and Frank Robinsons for the 1970 O's. What a team!!! The Colts of 1970-1971 were Johnny Unitas, Ted Hendricks, Bubba Smith, Billy Ray Smith, Ray Perkins, John Mackey, Eddie Hinton, and Jim O'Brien ~a real blue collar team!! Champs, thru and thru.

Did Pittsburgh garner the two sports titles with the Steel Curtain and the Pesky Pirates? If all three have been won before, it was quite the accomplishment, I'd be verrrry happy with just the two, but the way these Celts have been looking................it's at the least, something we can hope for !

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The problem with "same year" championships is that the Super Bowl is played in the year following the regular season. The Jets may have won the SB in 1969, but it came after the 1968 season. Not quite the same year as the Mets won the Series.

Hockey and basketball, at least there the regular season spans two years.

Nobody refers to that great Bears team as the "86" Bears even though they won the SB in 1986--they're the 85 Bears.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Saltheart

Hockey fell off the radar when they went on strike for a season. That cost the whole sport , players included , most of their fan base. When I was 16 years old , the Bruins were the team in the area. Patriots were nobody , the celtics were good but not fanatical like the Bruins fans.I don't think hockey will ever be as popular again.

Enjoy all the local success while we can. Its just a matter of time before things swing the other way again.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote