Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #121
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
26 min? What did he say???
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #122
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
26 min? What did he say???
I wondered what point your NY Times/Guardian article was trying to make.

Lionel's style can be torturous, but hundreds of thousands of people don't have trouble understanding what he says. The last couple of minutes in the video wraps it up pretty clearly. The Cambridge Analytica stuff is nothing.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #123
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I agree with one of his closing statements, that data and information and the social media are the new weapons and guess what; Putin figured that one out years ago. That is why to me it's a bits disappointing that we seem to be playing catch-up, while Putin is relentless in seeing how deeply he can get into our vulnerable utilities, or how much he can mess with us in any way to cause unrest.

The Russian investigation has merit based on the fact that a percentage of the voting public are voting based on some level of influence Russian bots might have had on their perception of facts, truth and real positions of the candidates. Whether there was collusion or not, we are involved in a dangerous cyber war across the globe and we better get smart and harden our defenses.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #124
spence

Quote:
The Cambridge Analytica stuff is nothing.
I see, so the Trump campaign using stolen data in a social media scheme (via a company with ties to Russia and Ukraine) to influence the election is "nothing."
Old 03-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #125
detbuch

Quote:
I see, so the Trump campaign using stolen data in a social media scheme (via a company with ties to Russia and Ukraine) to influence the election is "nothing."
Was the information "stolen"? Did Facebook adequately protect the info? Did the Trump campaign steal anything? The rising hubbub seems to be aimed at Facebook for careless handling of info. Was anything that was done illegal? Is this something actually new?

Lionel is an experienced trial lawyer. He said it was not illegal. Check with him.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #126
spence

Quote:
Was the information "stolen"? Did Facebook adequately protect the info? Did the Trump campaign steal anything? The rising hubbub seems to be aimed at Facebook for careless handling of info. Was anything that was done illegal? Is this something actually new?
Yes, some 50 million users were misled into giving up personal information and then the firm subsequently lied repeatedly about it. The effort was led by Steve Bannon who became Trump's chief strategist.

Muller has requested all correspondence.

Another piece of the puzzle.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #127
Jim in CT

This is a lot of energy dedicated to a country which Obama said stopped being a foreign policy concern, about the time that 'Miami Vice' went off the air.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #128
detbuch

Quote:
Yes, some 50 million users were misled into giving up personal information and then the firm subsequently lied repeatedly about it. The effort was led by Steve Bannon who became Trump's chief strategist.

Muller has requested all correspondence.

That's a good one. Misleading and lying are crimes. Whos left in politics that is not a criminal?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #129
scottw

Quote:
Yes, some 50 million users were misled into giving up personal information

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #130
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters.
The Daily Caller: "If Davidsen’s accusation is indeed true, it could prove a serious problem for Facebook. In the case of the Trump campaign, Facebook’s allowance for the misuse of its data was an accidental oversight; as far as the Obama campaign goes, it appears that it was completely intentional."

It appears that no laws were broken in either case, but that Facebook is the entity that has the problem of not properly securing its customer's data.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #131
spence

Quote:

Sounds like the Obama campaign was using available methods at the time while the firm Trump employed tricked users into providing information by claiming it was for research.

Not the same.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #132
detbuch

Quote:
Sounds like the Obama campaign was using available methods at the time while the firm Trump employed tricked users into providing information by claiming it was for research.

Not the same.
No, it's not the same. Facebook willingly allowed the data mining of its users by the Obama administration. Not sure why that is ethical or not misleading. It sounds like Facebook allowed itself to be politicized, in spite of its unbiased face to the public. Kinda tricky, dontcha think?

If Cambridge Analytica used trickery, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT ALLOWED ACCESS AS WAS O's ADMIN., then trickery was necessary in order to have the same access. And trickery is not a crime.

But I get it. If you prefer the goose to the gander, then it's OK if the goose does it.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #133
scottw

Quote:
No, it's not the same. Facebook willingly allowed the data mining of its users by the Obama administration. Not sure why that is ethical or not misleading. It sounds like Facebook allowed itself to be politicized, in spite of its unbiased face to the public. Kinda tricky, dontcha think?

If Cambridge Analytica used trickery, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT ALLOWED ACCESS AS WAS O's ADMIN., then trickery was necessary in order to have the same access. And trickery is not a crime.

But I get it. If you prefer the goose to the gander, then it's OK if the goose does it.

actually...according to the article Facebook was tricked into providing the info but didn't complain because they were supporting the Chosen One

Spence thinks Obama is a World Class Golfer too....
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #134
spence

Quote:

Data mining of users is part of the platform. It's how FB makes money. Their privacy policies also evolve and what was allowed under Obama wasn't the same as what was allowed just prior to Trump, via Steve Bannon when the data was collected.

The accusation being reported here is that the firm, established with right wing money used a sham research app to collect user data without notifying said users it was for political purposes.

FB certainly has some questions to answer but so does CA, Bannon and the Trump Campaign. Mr. Mueller is asking.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #135
scottw

I thought it was interesting that the Obama campaign was actually the first to pay Fusion GPS through the same law firm that the Hillary campaign used to pay them to dig dirt and smear Romney...seem the pure and fabulous Obama was actually setting all sorts of standards for sneaky and bad behavior...
Old 03-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #136
scottw

1st Commandment in Spenceworld

if Democrats do it it's brilliant strategy....if Republicans do it it's criminal and probably treasonous.....

makes most of what he writes make sense...
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #137
spence

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...sex-workers-to

Really?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #138
Pete F.
Canceled

Now we have gone from but Hillary to but Obama
Now DiGenova is going to claim it is all a plot to discredit the very credible Donald Trump.
Character is Destiny
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #139
detbuch

Quote:
Data mining of users is part of the platform. It's how FB makes money. Their privacy policies also evolve and what was allowed under Obama wasn't the same as what was allowed just prior to Trump, via Steve Bannon when the data was collected.

The accusation being reported here is that the firm, established with right wing money used a sham research app to collect user data without notifying said users it was for political purposes.

FB certainly has some questions to answer but so does CA, Bannon and the Trump Campaign. Mr. Mueller is asking.
What was illegal?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #140
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Now we have gone from but Hillary to but Obama
Now DiGenova is going to claim it is all a plot to discredit the very credible Donald Trump.
Character is Destiny
Is this some sort of free verse poem?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #141
spence

Quote:
What was illegal?
They must be looking for jelly beans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-see...45870?mod=e2fb

Quote:
U.K. officials are seeking a warrant to search the offices and computer systems of Cambridge Analytica, a political-data firm accused of illicitly harvesting and stockpiling data on millions of Facebook Inc. users.

The U.K.’s investigation—which could lead to criminal charges and fines—underscores the high stakes for Facebook, which has become one of the world’s largest companies by gathering data on individuals and using it to target advertising.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #142
detbuch

Quote:
They must be looking for jelly beans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-see...45870?mod=e2fb
Sounds like they're looking for a crime. What was illegal. And who was the criminal?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #143
Pete F.
Canceled

He went on to describe how political candidates are manipulated.

“They don’t understand because the candidate never, is never involved. He’s told what to do by the campaign team.” The reporter asks if that means the candidate is just a puppet, and Nix replies simply: “Always.”
I wouldn’t let this worry me
Old 03-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #144
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
He went on to describe how political candidates are manipulated.

“They don’t understand because the candidate never, is never involved. He’s told what to do by the campaign team.” The reporter asks if that means the candidate is just a puppet, and Nix replies simply: “Always.”
I wouldn’t let this worry me
So Obama and Trump were just puppets who didn't know what was going on?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #145
spence

Quote:
His comment was about Nix so why are you conflating Obama and Trump. That's quite slimy and pretty dishonest.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #146
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Nix claims that for Trump
I didn’t realize he was involved in the Obama campaign, is that what you are insinuating?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #147
spence

More WOW

Quote:
The Washington Post first reported Tuesday that Trump congratulated Putin despite warnings from multiple national security advisers and briefing materials that said "DO NOT CONGRATULATE." The White House declined to officially comment to CNN on the matter, with an official adding that they "cannot comment on alleged classified deliberative documents allegedly provided to the President."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/polit...ons/index.html
Old 03-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #148
scottw

Quote:
didn't Obama congratulate Putin?...never mind...I'm sure that was completely different
Old 03-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #149
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

It doesn't matter if it was leaked , but it confirms what so many are reporting, that he doesn't take advice from anyone; he has no clue why congratulating Putin was so wrong. He felt it was important to do so, because the broomance is more important in his mind, than showing Putin we in America know that election was a big farce.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #150
spence

Quote:
didn't Obama congratulate Putin?...never mind...I'm sure that was completely different
Yes it was.