Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
PaulS

How to Win an Argument

Be attentive to the reasons someone might disagree with you,” says Fanele Mashwama, whose two-person team won the World Universities Debating Championship in 2016. It isn’t enough, in other words, to dwell only on the strengths of your own position. Accept that an issue like whether to increase the minimum wage, for example, can have strong reasons on both sides. “I could give very good considerations in favor of my side of the policy,” Mashwama says, “but those might not be relevant in light of the actual reasons my opponent has an opposing opinion.” This is common on social media, he adds; too often, people aren’t listening to one another. So rather than lead with your strongest arguments, start by interrogating those of your adversary.

Establish a common set of foundational terms as quickly as possible. If you and your opponent can’t agree on some basic points — that the earth revolves around the sun, for instance — you will be less likely to come to a mutual understanding. But acknowledge the limitations of your position. “This is critical,” Mashwama says, “because sounding dogmatic detracts from your credibility,” which can make your opponent less likely to engage.

When it’s time to make your own argument, clarity is crucial. It’s easy to talk, Mashwama says, but listening is much harder, so anticipate at least some miscommunication. “You can’t be persuasive if the other person doesn’t understand you,” he says. But avoid flooding the other side with facts: They can overwhelm decision making. Ultimately, you don’t really convince people — people convince themselves. You just give them the means to do that.

Mirroring an opponent’s stance, keeping eye contact and lowering your voice have been shown to improve your potency. But the most important stance to take can be accepting when an argument doesn’t need to be had. Sometimes making yourself heard — explaining a grievance to a partner, say — as a matter of principle matters more than persuading an opponent to take your side. “There are tons of arguments to be had,” Mashwama says, “but not all of them are worth having, even if you think you’re correct.”
Old 01-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Liv2Fish

The purpose of arguing is not to win but to understand.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
The purpose of arguing is not to win but to understand.
Cute. You must be new in this swamp, that’s not how it works here 😁😁😁
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"