Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

How we treat our heroes......disgusting

Report: SEAL who shot bin Laden faces uncertain future

Something is just plain wrong in our society.... Easy to single this soldier out and get sick at his future's plight. He deserves better. Much better! As do all our veterans. (The suicide rate is a scream for help that is continuing to fall on deaf ears here at home....) But no, our elected officials would rather be all PC and be placating other calls for their attentions, such as all the illegals, before taking care of those who have FOUGHT for our country.... Makes me want to puke.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
tysdad115

Agree 100%, shameful.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Raven

and the BASE pay is totally unrealistic....
60 k for a navy seal is crap
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
PaulS

I know that there are benefits that they get that you and I don't but I agree the base pay is a joke.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I know that there are benefits that they get that you and I don't
Which ones?
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Which ones?
Only one I can think of is a Burial Allowance.....other than that they are below par with civilians.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Report: SEAL who shot bin Laden faces uncertain future

Something is just plain wrong in our society.... Easy to single this soldier out and get sick at his future's plight. He deserves better. Much better! As do all our veterans. (The suicide rate is a scream for help that is continuing to fall on deaf ears here at home....) But no, our elected officials would rather be all PC and be placating other calls for their attentions, such as all the illegals, before taking care of those who have FOUGHT for our country.... Makes me want to puke.
When i first read this my reaction was the same as yours, but then I read the comments below the article and many people, who were obviouisly military, made some very good points. This guy chose to leave after 16 years and he MUST have known he would not have retirement benefits or medical. 4 more years and he would be set for life. Its not like he should be suprised. It sounds to me like this guy dindt plan and perhaps was looking to cash in on his expereince and could not do that in the military. I agree our soliders do not get paid and rewarded for their service but this guy is a 16 yr vet and should know better before leaving.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I noticed the same thing...he actually was in for 17 years...3 years to go for retirement. If he made it the 20 then he would be getting all the benefits he says he is missing.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Here is the Pay structure for a SEAL...so that we don't have any misinformation floating around. These are 2007 levels

Pay Charts | Navy SEALs

Base Pay is Base Pay....regardless of what you do in the Military. Then you pick up added Stipends/Allotments depending on certain criteria, Married, Sub Service, SEAL and so on.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

OR, maybe his heart, head, or soul told him he was done... Maybe he felt his skillset had lost its edge, for whatever reason. Have you never woken up and said "I'm done" with something in your life? I know some of these guys. From my perspective, if one of them felt they had lost that edge, the next mission might well be their last. We here at home cannot judge what is in their heads, what they have seen, or what memories live with them. Many who serve live with scars we cannot see.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I noticed the same thing...he actually was in for 17 years...3 years to go for retirement. If he made it the 20 then he would be getting all the benefits he says he is missing.
Exactly. there is more to the story here. Again, I dont think our soliders get nearly enough for their service, but this guy should have known better and had a plan. You cant blame the system for your own decisions. I am certain that there are security companies, defense contractors, weapons designers that would love to have a guy like this working for them. He has a skill set very few do, he could have planned for leaving and lined up a good career.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
When i first read this my reaction was the same as yours, but then I read the comments below the article and many people, who were obviouisly military, made some very good points. This guy chose to leave after 16 years and he MUST have known he would not have retirement benefits or medical. 4 more years and he would be set for life. Its not like he should be suprised. It sounds to me like this guy dindt plan and perhaps was looking to cash in on his expereince and could not do that in the military. I agree our soliders do not get paid and rewarded for their service but this guy is a 16 yr vet and should know better before leaving.
Jimmy,
There is certainly more to the story than we'll ever know. I think the bigger story is that t here aren't many options for him other than the military. Seems like a guy who just had had enough, and wanted to be home more than two months a year, no matter the cost.
Maybe he should have looked into staying and transferring to a new unit, but who knows all the details.
But, at the end of the day don't forget you are the guy who moved to Texas to spend more time with your kids, complaining that your commute was too long.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

greg, dont give me BS about "complaining", you dont know me and I never complained to you. I sucked up a 1.5 hr one way drive for over a year and made an educated and informed decision to move. I guess I could hav ejust quit and then whined I dont have benefits. I didnt complain about my commute, i planned and changed my future to best suit mine and my familys needs. You want to see complaining? go to the main site and look at all the whining about a snowstorm. Gee, it snows in the northeast? dont like it? Move! For this giy - I am sure the miltary would have accomodated a 16 yr veteran if he requested to have a desk job and stay in one place, I guarantee it. I also guarantee there are numerouse companies that would require his skillset and put him to work. Hell, wouldnt video game designers love to have this guy?

Here is another view from the web -

A good deal of the Esquire piece concerns the Shooter's worries about his future now that he has left the military.

"When he leaves after sixteen years in the Navy, his body filled with scar tissue, arthritis, tendonitis, eye damage, and blown disks, here is what he gets from his employer and a grateful nation: Nothing. No pension, no health care, and no protection for himself or his family."

In fact, pretty much any veteran who leaves before 20 years of service is not going to be eligible for a pension.

So should the Shooter be treated any differently? Indeed, should other members of key Special Operations units like SEAL Team 6 or the Army's Delta Force who have been at war almost continuously since the 9/11 attacks be given greater benefits given the inordinate amount of combat they have seen?

It's an idea that may be worth exploring for those who have seen extensive combat, but the fact is that once you start making such exceptions, the floodgates will open. After more than a decade of war, many veterans in conventional military units would also qualify for such preferential treatment.

In a time of budget crisis and large cuts at the Pentagon it is hard to make such a case. After all, what about the thousands of Marines who have also been fighting for many years in tough places like Anbar in western Iraq and Helmand in southern Afghanistan? Should they get a cushy early retirement deal, too?

If the Shooter had wanted to get the full benefits that follow 20 years of service he had a choice: Stay in for another four years to qualify for the pension he clearly deserves.

It's a choice he didn't make.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Which ones?
I thought that they get housing alllowances and/or can live on base? Aren't the prices much cheaper in the commissary? School/Education subsidy?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
greg, dont give me BS about "complaining", you dont know me and I never complained to you. I sucked up a 1.5 hr one way drive for over a year and made an educated and informed decision to move. I guess I could hav ejust quit and then whined I dont have benefits. I didnt complain about my commute, i planned and changed my future to best suit mine and my familys needs. You want to see complaining? go to the main site and look at all the whining about a snowstorm. Gee, it snows in the northeast? dont like it? Move! For this giy - I am sure the miltary would have accomodated a 16 yr veteran if he requested to have a desk job and stay in one place, I guarantee it. I also guarantee there are numerouse companies that would require his skillset and put him to work. Hell, wouldnt video game designers love to have this guy?

Here is another view from the web -

A good deal of the Esquire piece concerns the Shooter's worries about his future now that he has left the military.

"When he leaves after sixteen years in the Navy, his body filled with scar tissue, arthritis, tendonitis, eye damage, and blown disks, here is what he gets from his employer and a grateful nation: Nothing. No pension, no health care, and no protection for himself or his family."

In fact, pretty much any veteran who leaves before 20 years of service is not going to be eligible for a pension.

So should the Shooter be treated any differently? Indeed, should other members of key Special Operations units like SEAL Team 6 or the Army's Delta Force who have been at war almost continuously since the 9/11 attacks be given greater benefits given the inordinate amount of combat they have seen?

It's an idea that may be worth exploring for those who have seen extensive combat, but the fact is that once you start making such exceptions, the floodgates will open. After more than a decade of war, many veterans in conventional military units would also qualify for such preferential treatment.

In a time of budget crisis and large cuts at the Pentagon it is hard to make such a case. After all, what about the thousands of Marines who have also been fighting for many years in tough places like Anbar in western Iraq and Helmand in southern Afghanistan? Should they get a cushy early retirement deal, too?

If the Shooter had wanted to get the full benefits that follow 20 years of service he had a choice: Stay in for another four years to qualify for the pension he clearly deserves.

It's a choice he didn't make.

Jimmy,
I think you are totally misinterpreting my meaning. I never said he deserves any benefits. I am simply saying the shame is he can't find a job - not a handout.
Like I said , we don't know his circumstances. And I was not saying or inferring you were complaining, I was simply pointing out you made a pretty drastic move to spend more time with your kids. From what I am reading, it seems like the fact he was having health issues and wanted to see his children grow up were his main reasons- despite the consequences. I am sure many people thought you should stay on the same path and stay here. That is my comparison - I figured you'd understand more than anyone.
Personally, I think with a work ethic he has he wouldn't mind a 9-5. I see the bigger problem being that veterans who have a drive find it twice as hard to find a job.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Jimmy,
I think you are totally misinterpreting my meaning. I never said he deserves any benefits. I am simply saying the shame is he can't find a job - not a handout.
Like I said , we don't know his circumstances. And I was not saying or inferring you were complaining, I was simply pointing out you made a pretty drastic move to spend more time with your kids. From what I am reading, it seems like the fact he was having health issues and wanted to see his children grow up were his main reasons- despite the consequences. I am sure many people thought you should stay on the same path and stay here. That is my comparison - I figured you'd understand more than anyone.
Personally, I think with a work ethic he has he wouldn't mind a 9-5. I see the bigger problem being that veterans who have a drive find it twice as hard to find a job.

I believe the military would accomodate his request to stay closer to home and not be in a combat role. I live in an area where there are lots of ex-career military. They live in big houses and great jobs. I think the military does a good job of caring for its career people and there is a big demand for their skills in the private marketplace. Again, I dont know the guys discussions but going to the media and complaining about his situation seems odd given I am sure there are options within the military for him to spend 3 yrs and retire. I have to believe there are training and strategy roles for someone with his experience.

as far as my move - My wife and I were not happy in the Northeast, we hate winter and like living outdoors. We were tired of the housing situtaion and box colonials, we were tired of the decline in infrastrucrture and schools. The only thing keeping me there was the ocean. That was it. My parents are deceased. My wifes family is in CA. We had been looking to move for years making trips to the south and west checking out new areas. TX was an opportunity that fell on our lap and it was financailly beneficial. Greg - Im not a new england guy, there are other places I plan to live in my life and this is just a stop.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Again, I dont know the guys discussions but going to the media and complaining about his situation seems odd given I am sure there are options within the military for him to spend 3 yrs and retire.
Actually, we don't even know if he did go to the media complaining.....just cause the article says it, doesn't necessarily means it happened that way.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I thought that they get housing alllowances and/or can live on base? Aren't the prices much cheaper in the commissary? School/Education subsidy?
Paul, I don't want to sound bitter because I am not, one bit. There were times I enjoyed my time in and for awhile I was considering doing the 20.

But, here are the facts:

Housing: Yes, you are provided housing. However, it is questionable at times. Do a search on Youtube to see the conditions of some barracks (mold, lead paint, etc.)

Commissary: In my experiences the gas and groceries were cheaper off post. Walmart usually had better deals on almost anything. Of course I am sure it may vary by base.

Education: This is the best area of benefits. You do get tuition for state schools. The one thing that is pointed out by others is financial aid does too.

I feel I have a pretty good thing going with school, but I do know some people feel like they haven't got a fair chance. Just like everything , your experiences may vary. I would also add that I am one of the only people that I keep in touch with that has found any employment. I am not too blind to see that sometimes it is the veterans' fault, but I also know it was an incredible struggle for myself to get a chance.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
He gave 17 years to this country....this country should give him the 3 years he needs for the full retirement!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
He gave 17 years to this country....this country should give him the 3 years he needs for the full retirement!
tell that to all the guys who went 20 years so they can get their pension!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
tell that to all the guys who went 20 years so they can get their pension!
or the guys who got out after 17 years and aren't receiving one....He's not the only one...

Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

And as was stated..... more to the story...

Esquire article wrongly claims SEAL who killed bin Laden is denied healthcare - The Ruptured Duck - Stripes

Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
buckman

Story's a fake
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

The writer, Phil Bronstein, who heads up the Center for Investigative Reporting, stands by the story. He said the assertion that the government gave the SEAL “nothing” in terms of health care is both fair and accurate, because the SEAL didn’t know the VA benefits existed.

“No one ever told him that this is available,” Bronstein said.

He said there wasn’t space in the article to explain that the former SEAL’s lack of healthcare was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
He said there wasn’t space in the article to explain that the former SEAL’s lack of healthcare was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled.

Sure there was space. There is always space, it just doesn't sell as well.

That doesn't pass the smell test.

I could easily be wrong but when you guys that were in and processed out, didn't they explain your available benefits? Isn't discussion of benefits amongst the guys when they are in the same as 'work" discussions of benefits that occasionally happens for us regular folk around the water cooler?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote