Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
Jim in CT

snowflakes

my 8th grader was in advanced math today. for some
reason, the teacher had them answering questions on some online platform, even though they were in class, and each kid could enter a screen name. my sons name is jason, his favorite athlete by far, is Floyd Mayweather ( don’t ask me why), so he picked the name Jason Floyd.

The teacher assumed he meant George Floyd, and was mocking his death, and gave him a detention. i spoke to the teacher, showed her posters of Mayweather he has in his room. She was unmoved. I talked to the principal and the superintendent. Detention dropped.

Fortunately for us, that same math teacher is supposed to write him a letter of recommendation this week, so he qualifies for the honors math track at the high school. the same math teacher who i just complained about to her boss, and her boss’ boss. I’m certain it will be a glowing recommendation.

Time for private school!!

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-11-2021 at 03:28 PM..
Old 01-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

The nice thing about private school is that you won’t have liberal teachers trying to influence your child under the guise of education. Most of the teachers are have their opinions protected by a union and the result is a lack of accountability due to no consequences. The libs at private schools understand they don’t have that option. It has been nothing short of a blessing to have my last child in private school,especially in the current climate with public teachers d#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g their responsibilities.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The nice thing about private school is that you won’t have liberal teachers trying to influence your child under the guise of education. Most of the teachers are have their opinions protected by a union and the result is a lack of accountability due to no consequences. The libs at private schools understand they don’t have that option. It has been nothing short of a blessing to have my last child in private school,especially in the current climate with public teachers d#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g their responsibilities.
i generally like teachers in our public schools in my town, but having three kids, one with special needs, there have been some bumps along the way. but i have no use for the unions.

This experience was really something, she absolutely refused to listen to anything my son or i had to say. by the time she was done ranting, i wanted to change my sons name to Floyd F Floyd, just to drive her over the edge.

And i agree with you on private school, this may be the last year for public school for us. my two gifted kids don’t get challenged and are bored, my middle guy with needs gets short changed. they seem to be teaching to the middle, which is great for kids in the middle.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
spence

I've sat in on a lot of my son's distance learning and the kids, acting like kids are always doing disrespectful things with the online learning. Could have been the 5th time today and she just has had enough of it Jim.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I've sat in on a lot of my son's distance learning and the kids, acting like kids are always doing disrespectful things with the online learning. Could have been the 5th time today and she just has had enough of it Jim.
could have been. in which case she owes us an apology. i didn’t tell her to allow a bunch of 8th graders to use any screen name
they want. and again, he knows who george floyd is obviously, but he worships floyd mayweather. if she couldn’t accept that because she was having a long day, i respect that, but it’s on her to apologize.

or, it could be that she’s just a jerk.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
Ian
Idiot

Wondering if this is the entire story... I was a kid once, and by the time I got home from doing something stupid, I always had a convincing story
Old 01-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

#IBelieveHim
Old 01-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

George Floyd is ancient history to an eighth grade boy, not even on the radar I bet.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
George Floyd is ancient history to an eighth grade boy, not even on the radar I bet.....
his whole room is posters of Mayweather. which is funny as he’s into karate not boxing. so you’d think ralph machio or chuck norris. but he worships mayweather.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
#IBelieveHim
and he can’t apply for high school
honors math without the recommendation of this exact teacher. Hooray!

Hope you’re all having a good start to 2021.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:09 AM   #11
scottw

good for you for standing up...most parents won't out of fear of repercussions some of which you mentioned.....it's sad what is going on in our schools at great expense...did they offer him mental counseling?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Hope you’re all having a good start to 2021.
2021 started??? I hadn't noticed.

We are chugging along.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
good for you for standing up...most parents won't out of fear of repercussions some of which you mentioned.....it's sad what is going on in our schools at great expense...did they offer him mental counseling?
no it was the teacher and his classmates, traumatized by his use of the name Floyd, who
needed counseling.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
no it was the teacher and his classmates, traumatized by his use of the name Floyd, who
needed counseling.
clearly....