Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
Jim in CT

obama says BLM would have been treated differently if they stormed the capital

Can we be honest about anything?

The trump supporters who stormed the capital were fired upon and put down fairly quickly.

The BLM rioters this summer were allowed to burn cities and loot and assault people for days and days.

Which of those things I said, is false? The antifa thugs were allowed to burn buildings u til
they ran out of gasoline.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oba...esponse-to-blm
Old 01-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
spence

Common sense says he’s exactly right. Trump’s lucky a lot more people didn’t get killed. His response was pathetic, it just killed him to have to criticize his crazies.

Bigger question is what’s next.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Common sense says he’s exactly right. Trump’s lucky a lot more people didn’t get killed. His response was pathetic, it just killed him to have to criticize his crazies.

Bigger question is what’s next.
how does common sense say he’s right, when we can see the kid gloves with which BLM protesters were treated all summer? this isnt speculative, there are actual, empirical
results.

has obama ever said anything you thought was stupid?
Old 01-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
how does common sense say he’s right, when we can see the kid gloves with which BLM protesters were treated all summer? this isnt speculative, there are actual, empirical
results.

has obama ever said anything you thought was stupid?
Your own link references studies that refute your assertion,

Don’t think it’s just about race though, in this case you also have a mob decked out in MAGA gear and American flags who fanatically support the President...I’d wager a lot of the capital police support him as well.

Still don’t understand how they let this happen.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Your own link references studies that refute your assertion,

Don’t think it’s just about race though, in this case you also have a mob decked out in MAGA gear and American flags who fanatically support the President...I’d wager a lot of the capital police support him as well.

Still don’t understand how they let this happen.
you’re ignoring what BlLM got away with this summer, and for how long. easy to make your point when you ignore what refutes your point.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Oh the irony, Trumps executive order might put his crazy supporters in some serious trouble.

Sec. 2. Policy. (a) It is the policy of the United States to prosecute to the fullest extent permitted under Federal law, and as appropriate, any person or any entity that destroys, damages, vandalizes, or desecrates a monument, memorial, or statue within the United States or otherwise vandalizes government property. The desire of the Congress to protect Federal property is clearly reflected in section 1361 of title 18, United States Code, which authorizes a penalty of up to 10 years’ imprisonment for the willful injury of Federal property. More recently, under the Veterans’ Memorial Preservation and Recognition Act of 2003, section 1369 of title 18, United States Code, the Congress punished with the same penalties the destruction of Federal and in some cases State-maintained monuments that honor military veterans. Other criminal statutes, such as the Travel Act, section 1952 of title 18, United States Code, permit prosecutions of arson damaging monuments, memorials, and statues on State grounds in some cases. Civil statutes like the Public System Resource Protection Act, section 100722 of title 54, United States Code, also hold those who destroy certain Federal property accountable for their offenses. The Federal Government will not tolerate violations of these and other laws.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
Ian
Idiot

Black lives matter didn’t storm the Capitol building trying to overthrow the results of our entire country’s election.

The pro-Trump protesters didn’t revolt in their regional cities and try to overthrow local governments.

What black lives matter DID do in our nation’s Capitol was protest outside the White House and were marched on by the national guard and dispersed.

The pro-trumpers had the barricades moved out of their way to be let in, only after they started tearing the building apart and making it to the actual floors of Congress were any shots fired or tear gas deployed in an attempt to quell the event.

If you’re going to compare things, choose the things that are closest to each other to compare, otherwise you sound like an a-s-shat
Old 01-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
you’re ignoring what BlLM got away with this summer, and for how long. easy to make your point when you ignore what refutes your point.
I’ve read that about 15,000 people were arrested over the summer in protest related activities. That doesn’t sound like getting away with much.

But to make comparisons like that is pretty stupid. For months the President and his sycophants have been brazenly lying to the American people to undermine our Democracy. They have activated crazies and instigated an insurrection at the US Capital like never before seen in our lifetimes.

Guess what, now that they have seen what they can do they will try and up their game. Trump is playing with fire and he just doesn’t get it.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

If you look at the report and data that the article was derived from the difference in how the right and left were treated by authorities having jurisdiction is much more common and aggressive for left leaning demonstrations

https://acleddata.com/2020/12/10/the...ion-in-the-us/
Old 01-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Black lives matter didn’t storm the Capitol building trying to overthrow the results of our entire country’s election.

The pro-Trump protesters didn’t revolt in their regional cities and try to overthrow local governments.

What black lives matter DID do in our nation’s Capitol was protest outside the White House and were marched on by the national guard and dispersed.

The pro-trumpers had the barricades moved out of their way to be let in, only after they started tearing the building apart and making it to the actual floors of Congress were any shots fired or tear gas deployed in an attempt to quell the event.

If you’re going to compare things, choose the things that are closest to each other to compare, otherwise you sound like an a-s-shat
first of all, the rioters were protesting the results, not trying to overturn the results. how could they have overturned the results? is there a piece of paper with biden’s name on it that they could have erased and written in trumps name, and then trump is president? they had no plan or anything. why can’t we accurately describe what happened? 200 jerks were going to overturn an election? you think they thought, hat they’d overturn the election? they blew a gasket and acted like wild animals.

second, you’re right, blm didnt break into the capital. they burned buildings to the ground. which is worse.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
I’ve read that about 15,000 people were arrested over the summer in protest related activities. That doesn’t sound like getting away with much.

But to make comparisons like that is pretty stupid. For months the President and his sycophants have been brazenly lying to the American people to undermine our Democracy. They have activated crazies and instigated an insurrection at the US Capital like never before seen in our lifetimes.

Guess what, now that they have seen what they can do they will try and up their game. Trump is playing with fire and he just doesn’t get it.
they were given days, weeks in some cases. true or false?
Old 01-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:

what’s stupid, is saying every single
time, that the liberal was right and the conservative was wrong. being physically incapable of speaking against a party platform, ever.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
first of all, the rioters were protesting the results, not trying to overturn the results. how could they have overturned the results? is there a piece of paper with biden’s name on it that they could have erased and written in trumps name, and then trump is president? they had no plan or anything. why can’t we accurately describe what happened? 200 jerks were going to overturn an election? you think they thought, hat they’d overturn the election? they blew a gasket and acted like wild animals.

second, you’re right, blm didnt break into the capital. they burned buildings to the ground. which is worse.
No, the Trump crazies believe Trump won and were trying to disrupt the process thinking he could prevail by Pence or Senators overriding the results.

I’m not aware of BLM protestors burning buildings to the ground either. Perhaps looters or anarchists.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

it’s hard to compare, because there aren’t a whole lot of conservative riots to choose from. too many though.

i didn’t make the comparison. obama did. i responded to obama’s comparison. so you’re saying obama was stupid? i agree.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #15
Jim in CT

the floyd protests cost between 1-2 billion in damage, and lasted 13 days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...175811139.html

they caused 19 deaths.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

and chris cuomo said “please show
me where it says protests are supposed to be peaceful.”

and trump is to be impeached again for inflammatory language, but Al Sharpton is still a major force in the democrat party. because that makes all kinds of sense.

nothing is ever applied consistently with you guys or your side.

Twitter bans trump, but the Ayatollah and Farrakhan are still active.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #16
spence

Jim, has a BLM protest ever required the Vice President of the United States and other top government officials to be swept to safety by the Secret Service? Asking for a friend.

Some very bad stuff happened around the BLM protests, this is very different and I fear we haven’t even seen the worst of it yet, and Trump is largely to blame.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, has a BLM protest ever required the Vice President of the United States and other top government officials to be swept to safety by the Secret Service? Asking for a friend.

Some very bad stuff happened around the BLM protests, this is very different and I fear we haven’t even seen the worst of it yet, and Trump is largely to blame.
that’s an extremely valid point. the answer is no. but BLM protests did more to disrupt state and local
governments where they took place. in one town, they locked
police officers in a building, poured gas in it, and tried to set it on fire.

and you’re not commenting, for obvious reasons, on the fact that those protests were allowed to continue for a week, and that liberals bent over backwards to avoid calling those people
feral
animals.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Traitors View Post

Oh the irony, Trumps executive order might put his crazy supporters in some serious trouble.

this is great...you must be very excited...can we charge all of those "traitors by association" who were home watching from their La-Z-Boy recliners too?!...we can't have them getting away with thought crimes...

Last edited by scottw; 01-10-2021 at 02:56 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is great...you must be very excited...can we charge all of those "traitors by association" who were home watching from their La-Z-Boy recliners too?!...we can't have them getting away with thought crimes...
Nope sitting cheering on the Trumps crazy conspiracy theory drunk nut jobs from your lazy boy isn’t criminal, your lame attempt at humor might be.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:

Nope sitting cheering on the Trumps crazy conspiracy theory drunk nut jobs from your lazy boy isn’t criminal, your lame attempt at humor might be.

"Your guy is a traitor attempting a coup, you by association are the same" signed Got Stripers

I wouldn't call it humor....

Last edited by scottw; 01-10-2021 at 02:56 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 06:54 PM   #21
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
"Your guy is a traitor attempting a coup, you by association are the same" signed Got Stripers

I wouldn't call it humor....
The pen can be poisonous.🤡

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
The pen can be poisonous.🤡
Oooooh said the guy spewing venom for four years, that’s rich!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

One of the interesting things about woke populism is a willingness to make fantastically disingenuous claims to achieve maximum victimhood.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:53 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Oooooh said the guy spewing venom for four years, that’s rich!
did he ever call you a traitor?...just curious
Old 01-10-2021, 04:59 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:

Can we be honest about anything?
the left is really struggling with their competing narratives here, are the cops heroes who battled and defended our nation against the seditionist trumplican army or are they racists who aided the trumplican army to topple our government?

Old 01-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

"67% of Americans lay blame squarely at Trump's feet for the riot and the breach that led to the death of five...This includes 52% who believe he shoulders a great deal of the responsibility. Only 15% of those polled say that he bears none of the blame."
Old 01-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #27
PaulS

Trump still has not ordered flags flown to have staff for the dead capital policeman.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #28
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Love the security camera videos coming out showing Republican representatives opening the doors and waving the nuts in. When the election is done, votes counted over and over, 50+ court cases dismissed without cause, it’s time to think about country first and yet these true Patriots just feel like nope we wants to stir up the pot just a bit more.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Love the security camera videos coming out showing Republican representatives opening the doors and waving the nuts in. When the election is done, votes counted over and over, 50+ court cases dismissed without cause, it’s time to think about country first and yet these true Patriots just feel like nope we wants to stir up the pot just a bit more.
I think that was at a statehouse and not the Capital.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #30
Pete F.
Canceled

Poor snowflakes who broke into the Capitol Wednesday are now learning they are on No-Fly lists pending the full investigation. They are not happy about this. Claiming to not be terrorists, because the President told them to do it.