Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #31
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

People

Y'all are way to nice.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #32
Hooper
Southsider

Yeah, that sucks. I learned that lesson in a similar way. No I live by these words.... "Neither a borrower nor a lender be!"
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #33
ChrisH

I NEVER borrow anything...that has become one of my hardfast rules. I learned this the hard way, whenever I borrowed something it broke, no matter how careful I was.

A few years ago my father-in-law was on me to use his ridding mower to suck-up and bag the leaves in my yard instead of raking. I told him that I would rather rake, but he insisted and my wife suggested that I use the mower, so I gave in. My father-in-law instructed me to take the bag off and chop the leaves up, then put the bag back on to pick up the leaves on the second pass.

All was going well as I chopped the leaves up until I notice a burning smell.... I looked back at the engine and leaves had blown up onto the exhaust and had caught fire!

I quickly stopped the mower, and as I swung my leg around to get off, my boot hit and snapped off the key in the ignition

I could not shut the engine (that was filled with burning leaves) down... I ripped my sweatshirt off and beat the fire out, then when it was safe I pulled the spark plug wire.

Thankfully the damage was not too bad and we were able to save the mower.

This is one of the reasons that I do not borrow stuff.

Chris
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #34
Gloucester2

ChrisH

I know you did not intend the story this way (given that we're in Grumpydom) but that is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time

I have this mental image of that scene and I'm LMFAO

You gonna be around the Ditch on the 24th? a group from the other site is going to be around the Scussett Pier - drop by
Gloucester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #35
ChrisH

Hey G2 how are you doing? Well I hope.

I'm going to try and get there on the 24th, just have to see what my son's hockey schedule is. I'm glad my story got ya to laugh, my wife says that these things just happen to me

Chris
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
vineyardblues

Well let's just say I and dumb, I lent my "new" nabor my 150ft cord and hedger almost 4 weeks ago. He stopped over to watch me paint my house the other day. He was talking to my wife in the driveway when I said that I needed my 150 ft cord back. Not a word from him and now it's 3 days later
Nothing yet.

VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #37
NIB

Doin one of those gratis type jobs fo me unk.just moved to the hood.wants to borro my truck his wifie's at the beach.i think to myself this guy's from NY they treat there car's like bumper cars.i say OK(dumbass)I was parkin 2 houses away because there's this tree that hangs into the street.he had seen me unload the truck from there i guess he got it. well nope look at the truck there's a nice long gauge down the side like someone keyed it.i keep my truck in good condition its 5 yrs old w/130k an people ask me all the time if it's new.I don't think it will buff out.thanks unkle Mikie. aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #38
NEMS

neighbors

I help everyone everytime they ask, I NEVER SAY NO. I,ve been keeping my boat in front of my house for a qwik get away after work instead of storing it fifteen miles away. My neighbor across the street asks when I'm going to store it before someone is going to complain because I park it on the street I told him I have the same right as anyone else to park on the street. The trailer is registered until the end of Novemeber. He got mad because his visitors cant park in front of his house. There is enough room for the fire department and large trucks. Yes I have loaned tools to this neighbor and yes he forgets it's mine. I told my son to take him off my XMAS card list.
NEMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #39
rhodyflyguy

wanna know what really sucks?

it really sucks when the neighbors don't go in your garage and 'borrow' a shovel, but when they go into your parents bedroom while you're away fishing and grab every bit of jewelry in sight, including an heirloom engagement ring.
than, it sucks more when they get out of jail via a plea in 6 months.
but it rocks when they get evicted

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote