Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-30-2022, 01:55 PM   #211
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Hopefully you’ll be happy

A clearly angry Kagan pulling no punches: "The current Court is textualist only when being so suits it. When that method would frustrate broader goals, special canons like the 'major questions doctrine' magically appear as get out-of-text-free cards"

These opinions will be read by historians--if we are lucky enough to have historians in the future--as the desperate warnings of good people as the country is overrun and destroyed by bad people supported by people who refuse to understand that our lot is theirs, too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
the court was liberal for 50 years. It’s not carved in stone it must be so forever. Elections have consequences.

Why are you ok with unelected bureaucrats setting national policy? isn’t it better if elected legislators enact policy, so that we can respond at election time?

Again, you seem to have a real issue with the conceit of a representative democratic republic.

if everyone agrees with you in abortion,,it will be available in all 50 states. If not, it won’t be available in all 50 states.

I don’t think CT should have an income tax, but not nearly a majority agrees with me, so i don’t get my way. and why should i? who am i to be able to impose my beliefs on others?
Old 06-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #212
wdmso

Antiabortion lawmakers want to block patients from crossing state lines

This pic sums it up ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4FDDC8A-BA70-4052-93B7-E14D554E01A2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	68997  
Old 06-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #213
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
the court was liberal for 50 years. It’s not carved in stone it must be so forever. Elections have consequences.

Why are you ok with unelected bureaucrats setting national policy? isn’t it better if elected legislators enact policy, so that we can respond at election time?

Again, you seem to have a real issue with the conceit of a representative democratic republic.

if everyone agrees with you in abortion,,it will be available in all 50 states. If not, it won’t be available in all 50 states.

I don’t think CT should have an income tax, but not nearly a majority agrees with me, so i don’t get my way. and why should i? who am i to be able to impose my beliefs on others?
Let's be clear: the Court can talk all it like about the alleged democratic deficiency of administrative agencies (although: pot, kettle), but this is fundamentally a Congress-disempowering doctrine. It makes it nearly impossible for Congress to pass laws accomplishing its goals.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #214
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Antiabortion lawmakers want to block patients from crossing state lines

This pic sums it up ..
that pic is true. any and all babies given up for adoption, will be adopted. older
kids in foster don’t do as well, but that has nothing to do with abortion, as babies get aborted not older kids. babies don’t languish in foster care.

swing and a miss.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #215
Jim in CT

Quote:
Let's be clear: the Court can talk all it like about the alleged democratic deficiency of administrative agencies (although: pot, kettle), but this is fundamentally a Congress-disempowering doctrine. It makes it nearly impossible for Congress to pass laws accomplishing its goals.
that’s not even close to being true. it empowers the legislature.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:26 PM   #216
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Free speech wow that was hard

Glad it wasn’t a tweet, different set of rules for those

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #217
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Glad it wasn’t a tweet, different set of rules for those
Shocking no examples
Old 06-30-2022, 07:43 PM   #218
Jim in CT

Quote:
Shocking no examples
you missed his point completely. you guys go berserk over trump’s tweets, you’d never dismiss any of his tweets by saying “free speech.”

He proved you’re a hypocrite.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:45 PM   #219
wdmso

Quote:
you missed his point completely. you guys go berserk over trump’s tweets, you’d never dismiss any of his tweets by saying “free speech.”

He proved you’re a hypocrite.
Yep tweets from a mayor are the same as tweets from the POTUS

The false equivalence king strikes again
Old 06-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #220
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yep tweets from a mayor are the same as tweets from the POTUS

The false equivalence king strikes again
so the mayor of chicago has free speech, not the president.

got it.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 PM   #221
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Like arguing with a cinder block
Old 06-30-2022, 09:16 PM   #222
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
that’s not even close to being true. it empowers the legislature.
You can regulate a pregnant body but not a coal plant. You can control the free speech of a teacher but not the money-as-speech of a corporation. You can coerce a child to pray in school but you can’t keep guns out of their classroom. What a world this Supreme Court is making.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-30-2022, 09:20 PM   #223
Jim in CT

Quote:
You can regulate a pregnant body but not a coal plant. You can control the free speech of a teacher but not the money-as-speech of a corporation. You can coerce a child to pray in school but you can’t keep guns out of their classroom. What a world this Supreme Court is making.
right, i’m
sure there are zero regulations on coal plants

there are all kinds of laws in the books that limit what folks can do with their bodies. Boils
down to, you can’t hurt someone else.

Where’s the evidence kids were pressured to pray? that would be illegal.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:14 AM   #224
scottw

Quote:
right, i’m
sure there are zero regulations on coal plants

there are all kinds of laws in the books that limit what folks can do with their bodies. Boils
down to, you can’t hurt someone else.

Where’s the evidence kids were pressured to pray? that would be illegal.
they are just babbling continuous nonsensical talking points.....but you are the unthinking cult member
Old 07-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #225
scottw

Old 07-01-2022, 05:23 AM   #226
Pete F.
Canceled

THIS IS THE FUTURE THAT CONSERVATIVES WANT

The Christian Republic of Texas.
The Catholic State of Missouri.
The Evangelical Commonwealth of Virginia.

This is it. This is where it's all been going, and at this pace they could have it by the end of the next SCOTUS term.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:28 AM   #227
scottw

Quote:
THIS IS THE FUTURE THAT CONSERVATIVES WANT

The Christian Republic of Texas.
The Catholic State of Missouri.
The Evangelical Commonwealth of Virginia.

This is it. This is where it's all been going, and at this pace they could have it by the end of the next SCOTUS term.
pretty sure the Court's adherence to the Constitution would not allow that...but keep fantasizing...
Old 07-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #228
Pete F.
Canceled

The Supreme Court agreed to hear Moore v Harper, an appeal advocating for extreme interpretation of the Constitution that could make it easier for state legislatures to suppress the vote, draw unfair election districts, enable partisan interference in ballot counting.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #229
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
pretty sure the Court's adherence to the Constitution would not allow that...but keep fantasizing...
they are beyond desperate.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:35 AM   #230
Jim in CT

Quote:
The Supreme Court agreed to hear Moore v Harper, an appeal advocating for extreme interpretation of the Constitution that could make it easier for state legislatures to suppress the vote, draw unfair election districts, enable partisan interference in ballot counting.
if SCOTUS is simply a tool to enact conservative principles, please explain why they did hand Biden a big win this week, when they upheld Bidens intent to allow Trumps “remain in Mexico” policy to end

Conservatives really want that to continue, this supreme court said Biden could end it.

Please explain why SCOTUS did this Pete, if they’re just a bunch of conservative activists?

I’ll wait. You have fun with that.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:04 AM   #231
Pete F.
Canceled

If you read the decision you’ll find that what SCOTUS ruled was that the judge couldn’t act as an administrator, do you think judges should?
Texas Solicitor General Judd Stone conceded during an exchange with Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday morning while the Supreme Court was hearing the case, under Kacsmaryk’s reading of federal law, no administration has ever complied with that law since it was enacted in 1996.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #232
wdmso

Days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states can prohibit abortion, Alabama has seized on the decision to argue that the state should also be able to ban gender-affirming medical treatments for transgender youths.

Yep the ruling was only about abortion
Old 07-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #233
PaulS

Paxton said he may move against gay rights next. That is one of the reasons why all the bigots have been moving to Tx.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #234
PaulS

Wiman and their magic vaginas

In the aftermath of the US supreme court decision that ended the right to abortion, amid nationwide protests over the removal of women’s control over their own bodies, one Utah Republican said women could “control [their] intake of semen”.

The comment by Karianne Lisonbee, a state representative, came in response to an assertion that men should be held accountable for unwanted pregnancies, not just pregnant women, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.

“I got a text message today saying I should seek to control men’s ejaculations and not women’s pregnancies,” Lisonbee said.

She added: “I do trust women enough to control when they allow a man to ejaculate inside of them and to control that intake of semen.”
Old 07-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #235
Pete F.
Canceled

Republican Senators on Twitter today admitting that their strategy was to pack the courts with political conservatives in order to enact an agenda that was too unpopular to pass through an elected, popularly accountable Congress.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #236
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Wiman and their magic vaginas

In the aftermath of the US supreme court decision that ended the right to abortion, amid nationwide protests over the removal of women’s control over their own bodies, one Utah Republican said women could “control [their] intake of semen”.

The comment by Karianne Lisonbee, a state representative, came in response to an assertion that men should be held accountable for unwanted pregnancies, not just pregnant women, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.

“I got a text message today saying I should seek to control men’s ejaculations and not women’s pregnancies,” Lisonbee said.

She added: “I do trust women enough to control when they allow a man to ejaculate inside of them and to control that intake of semen.”
(1) it did not end the right to abortion. It sent the question to the states, where per the constitution it belongs.

(2) women have long had limits on what they can do with their bodies, in particular they cannot use their body in a way that harms someone else. There’s no controversy over laws that prevent female teachers from sleeping with male students. So there are already laws in the books that limit the choices women can make with their own bodies, when those choices would harm someone else. And no one protests those laws.

Am I responsible for what a Utah state senator says Paul? If so, are t you responsible for US Rep Hank Johnson saying Guam
might tip over if we build on it? Or for Hilary saying that her husbands victims were looney tunes narcissists? Or for biden saying republicans want to put blacks in chains?

Either we’re responsible for the lunatics in our side, or we’re not. But it applies equally to both of us.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #237
PaulS

Quote:

Am I responsible for what a Utah state senator says Paul? Did I ever claim you were? If so, are t you responsible for US Rep Hank Johnson saying Guam
might tip over if we build on it? Or for Hilary saying that her husbands victims were looney tunes narcissists? Or for biden saying republicans want to put blacks in chains?

Either we’re responsible for the lunatics in our side, or we’re not. But it applies equally to both of us.
Let's not forget who started the thread
Old 07-01-2022, 10:26 AM   #238
Jim in CT

Quote:
why bring up a vile ( and it is vile) quote from a state senator from the other side of the country? what were you trying to accomplish?

plenty of nuts in both sides.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:27 AM   #239
Jim in CT

Quote:
that’s fair.

Maxine Waters isnt a state senator from utah who no one has ever heard of. And she’s telling people
to defy federal rulings because she didn’t get what she wanted.

but that as a very fair comeback, your point was. sincerely.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #240
Pete F.
Canceled

The GOP agenda - criminalize abortion, ban gun control, deregulate business, and pollute more - is super unpopular.

So Republicans stopped trying to enact it in law and instead nominated politicians to the bench to get their agenda enacted by the unelected, unaccountable branch.