Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Question Clapton fans needed.

in 1990, the band Extreme put out the song "more than words". my question is, did Clapton ever do this song? was it originally his and Extreme covered it, or vice versa? i have not been able to find anything to verify it either way, but several people have said it was originally his.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Its not a Clapton original and I have a pretty complete Slowhand catalogue and I do not see it, or recall hearing him sing that song T-Lap!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

That Extreme song was wayyyy too sappy for Clapton.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
theSURF121

There are no credits listed on the CD for anyone else. It is an Extreme original.

M.S.A. #422
L.I.B.B.A. #422
theSURF121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

thanks, guys. now i knew the woman was wrong on this one.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
outfished

I'm 99.9% sure its Exteme's own work. By the way spinncognito, Clapton is the king of sap. "Tears In Heaven" ring a bell?
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by outfished
I'm 99.9% sure its Exteme's own work. By the way spinncognito, Clapton is the king of sap. "Tears In Heaven" ring a bell?
Tears in Heaven was a dedication song to his son who died. I am not a huge Clapton fan but he is one of the greatest guitarist ever and just about all of his music has an edge to it. King of sap? Very far from it. Perhaps you have been listening to Kiss108FM too much.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 AM   #8
CAL
I need spring!

I'm a HUGE Clapton fan and I gotta admit he has been very sappy over the last decade and a half
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
Billybob

EC's probably my all time favorite, but he does have his sappy moments. They redid the 461 Ocean Blvd cd which is awesome, and it includes a live concert disk from back then.Really good stuff, but he opens the concert with that song "smile" - I don't know where he came up with that one, musta been the drugs.
Billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Greatest of all time?

Clapton one of the greatest guitarist of all time I beg to differ. He is not even the best blues guitarists around. Check out Gary Moore's, After Hours. Clapton is a good rock and blues player but there are so many guitarists better than him out there. He may be one of the most popular or commercially recognized but far from one of the best. I am a fan of some of his work but not all of it. Just my opinion. P.M.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #11
28inches

Re: Greatest of all time?

Quote:
Originally posted by Professor Moriarty
Clapton one of the greatest guitarist of all time I beg to differ. He is not even the best blues guitarists around. Check out Gary Moore's, After Hours. Clapton is a good rock and blues player but there are so many guitarists better than him out there. He may be one of the most popular or commercially recognized but far from one of the best. I am a fan of some of his work but not all of it. Just my opinion. P.M.
Prof- you're entitled to any opinion you choose. No matter how outlandish it seems to others. Please name the others you think are better? I'll spot you Albert King and Buddy Guy.

Have you ever heard Crossroads?

28inches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
outfished

Way too sappy for me. Unfortunetly, I believe his best material was when he was messed up on drugs. As soon as he cleans up he go's south with all that SAPPY stuff. I also agree, there are many guitarist that are waaaaay better. Here's some of my favs. T-Bone Walker, Stevie Ray Vaughan,
Albert King, Muddy Waters, Ronnie Earl, Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, Roy Buchanan, Lightnin' Hopkins, Jo Bonamassa,
Coco Montoya, Otis Rush and of course, Hendrix. I'd take all of these guys over Clapton. But I do give him credit just the same. Sure beats rap Plays a hell of a lot better than me.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Come on its music not sports, there is no better or best .... A little of my analysis:
For his early work with Cream, no one was playing what EC was. Hendrix aside , his playing stood alone in the early-sixties and did a lot to define rock guitar soloing.
He was one of the first guys to take blues influenced guitar in to a rock environment. Those of you who dont think he is a good blues guitar player, check out the classic album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, that was post Yardbirds, pre-Cream playing. He was in top form at this stage, young and full of fire.
After Cream, he became more soft rock in my mind and in some ways sappy. I cant beleive noone mentioned : You Look Wonderful Tonight. Great tune, but pure sap.
EC is one of the greats. I think his Yardbirds through Cream stage was his best work.
Just my 2 cents
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Did not mean to offend anyone. Just giving my opinion on a subject I am passionate about. Do you want blues guitarist's try Gary Moore-After Hours Album. Of course SRV, Roy Buchanan, Albert Lee- who was Claptons rhythm guitarist for a lot of his tours, Danny Gatton, Son Seals, M. Bloomfield, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Duane Allman, etc. I am not trying to say he is a bum just not the best in my opinion. He is definately a commercial sucess you can't argue with that but that does not mean a lot in my book. For Pete's sake most people think he wrote I shot the Sherrif. His earlier stuff Bluesbreakers,Yardbirds, My guitar gently weeps(Beatles), Later Derrick and the Dominos, and of course Cream. That right there is quite a resume and shows he is not a bum. But not the best. I really do not like much of his more modern and mellower stuff. I guess there is really no way to say who is the best because each style requires different techniques but in my warped opinion If you want guys that can seem to play it all Rock, Blues, Jazz, Fussion check out anything by Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Robben Ford, Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Danny Gatton, Steve Vai, etc there are many. If you are a blues guitarist enthusiast then you need to hear Gary Moore's After Hours. I will be happy to burn you a copy and send it to you. Please everyone has an opinion and I just voiced mine. I respect yours also just thought I would stir up a little discussion on the subject. P.M.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Longevity wise.....Clapton has been at the top and his music has always been great! Yes, I am a huge Clapton fan....however in my opinion, Stevie Ray Vaughn was the best electric blues guitar player hands down! Seen him play live about 8 times.....simply awesome to see him play!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote