Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Saltheart

Jet Planer/Jointer

I finally got to use my Jet planer/jointer. I did some planning. Thing worked great on hard maple.

Two things I would like to improve are
1) I wish the thickness adjustment had a finer adjustment. It feeds up .094 inches per turn of the crank. So about .023 per 1/4 turn. I suppose I could try to go an eigth of a turn but that seems to be pretty iffy. Now certainly the finess of the adjustment is not an issue getting down to thickness but I would like to just feed say 5 to 10 thousandths for the last pass to get the best finish. Finish is good now but if running over an area with a knot on the back side (can't see it on the finished side) the area over the knot can get a little (very little) tear out. Its pretty miniscule but I want it free from any imperfections if possible. Where there are no wood grain issues , the finish is absolutely perfect.

2) I get just a little snipe on the infeed side of the board I am planning. The tail end is perfect. Now I tried lifting as I feed it in but no mater what I do I get that little bit of snipe on the infeed end. The machine has an outfeed extension table but not an infeed extension table. Anyway , the amount of snipe is small and will sand off easily but of course no sanding for that problem would be better!

Any ideas/suggestions to solve these two issues?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Build a detachable in feed table out of MDF put it on hinges for stow ability. Let it lay down the height of the planer and finish it with good urethane. Wood will feed across it quite nicely.

As far as the fine adjustment goes it is what it is. To get perfection and ultra fine tuning on knotty stuff and thickness you really need a drum sander.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

sounds like great results if you are getting smooth planing on maple. In order to take a fine finish pass , you'd need or use a finish planer or a wide belt sander even better.
The grainy spots in wood is always gonna give you some trouble, try tiger maple you'll see.

as far as sniping, many causes and usually it's on the way out not in.

read this, maybe the infeed roller is out of adjustment a slight amount
or the bed roller is high.
Thickness Planer Setup

the settings he describes and shows in the picture are spot on

This is more in depth of the same thing

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Get...rformance.ashx

Last edited by Slipknot; 07-02-2013 at 04:57 PM..

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

The belt sander was kind of what I was getting at with the drum sander comment. I meant a horizontal drum sander not an upright job.
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Saltheart

Thanks for the input. The snipe is always on the first end in and always the same length from the end. I think this does point to a problem with the first roller. The rollers are hard to get at and I hate to pull it apart because the rest is working fine. I mayhave to though. One thing in the trouble shooting directions is to feed in a short sacrificial piece ahead of and behind the good piece and butt the good pieceright up tight against the piece ahead of it. In theory this may work although I hate to condemn myself to a future of always having to have extra pieces around to pull this off. If I am doing multiple good pieces I guess its an easy thing but if doing just one board it seems like a PITA.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Grapenuts

Just cut the boards longer before you put them through the planer...then cut off the bad parts to get your useable lenght....don't think there's a planner alive that doesn't chatter on the leading edge or the tail end.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Believe him he knows all about chatter.

Sorry Steve couldn't resist
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Grapenuts

after thousands of brd feet you'd think...chitty..chitty.. pop.. snap....Bang! dam knots.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote