Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Saltheart

Pour the Kool aid over your head. It will do two things , cool you down and perhaps wash Paterno blood lust out of your eyes so you can see things clearly.

If Paterno had lived , been prosecuted , been allowed to testify and then found guilty of whatever charges , so be it. Put him in prison , take down his statues , whatever. Without that chance to tell his side of the story , I am not condemning anybody.

I believe you are wrong that the weight is falling on the football program solely because of Paterno's involvement. I believe Sandusky's affiliation with the football program is being linked to the actions by all the administrators (including Paterno) and board members with the assumption that the goal was to protect the football program. That assumption may be wrong. The cover up actions may have been aimed at protecting the university as a whole and/or the jobs of its executive administrators , all orchestrated by the University President and using Paterno and the football program as a scapegoat. You can say that "Football is everything at Penn state" but its not the paychecks , reputations , and careers of the executives in charge.
What you really want to be careful of is jumping to conclusions. Are you willing to settle for Paterno's blood and call it a day when there may be many others equally or more culpable in this whole mess? I'm not. Was he totally innocent? No. Is he primarily to blame? I don't know but I'm inclined to say no and turn up the ehat by thoroughly investigating everyone else involved .

I say be suspicious of everyone , including Paterno but don't settle on the easy target , a dead man who cannot speak on his own behalf , and let others, who may have been more directly responsible for the cover up , get off easy because of a scapegoat they very well may have set up to take the fall.

Nobody really knows what skeletons are yet to be uncovered in this whole thing. Don't let your blood lust to see an icon fall blind you to other possibilities that may yet come to light.

Paul S , I agree with game decisions being reversed because of recruiting violations , etc because those players should not have been on the field and do in fact have an affect on the outcome of the game. Those games should in fact be recorded as "forfeits do to ineligible players on the field". Games that are played fair and square to an outcome should stand. I also think that once a game (its just a game) is played and over , nobody really gives a damn about it years down the line but that's a whole other topic.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I say be suspicious of everyone , including Paterno but don't settle on the easy target , a dead man who cannot speak on his own behalf , and let others, who may have been more directly responsible for the cover up , get off easy because of a scapegoat they very well may have set up to take the fall.
I partially agree with this. I'm just more amazed that so many people are sheep and just parrot what they hear on ESPN. Paterno was definitely at fault. Hugely, and unforgivably so. But can anyone here actually name off the top of their heads the PSU higher ups who were equally at fault with Paterno?

Beuller?

Spanier, Schultz, and Curley. But you don't hear that on ESPN, because they don't grab headlines. There's only one piece of hard information in the Freeh report (who here has actually looked at it) that comes from Paterno- and all that states is that he didn't think Sandusky could be the HC because he was too deeply involved in Second Mile (app. 3D). The rest is speculation and second hand info. Don't take this as me defending Paterno, I think it's pretty clear that he was completely involved- but the others were equally so, if not more. And now you have Spanier saying he was abused as a child, trying to garner sympathy? What a joke. He disgusts me.

And there's hardly any mention anymore of SANDUSKY himself, the actual person who committed the act.

Seems like this is a cliche situation of the public watching someone held in a "deified" status fall from grace. I just think it does an enormous disservice to the victims to ignore the other perpetrators of this crime, in addition to the monster who abused them.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
There's only one piece of hard information in the Freeh report (who here has actually looked at it) that comes from Paterno- and all that states is that he didn't think Sandusky could be the HC because he was too deeply involved in Second Mile (app. 3D). .
I read the whole thing http://www.thefreehreportonpsu.com/R...NAL_071212.pdf.....and there is more than one piece of info implicating him. There was a lot of e-mail traffic going around between all those parties....not necessarily joe...I'm betting he wasn't much of a technology guy.

But, seriously, once the seed was planted in his head from the 1998 incident....that should have been a red flag going forward....especially when your assistant coordinator says he saw him wiith a kid in the showers in 2001.

I agree the Media is crucifying Paterno because he is the big name and not focusing on the other guys...I'm pretty sure Spanier will be getting arrested for his role in it shortly.....especially if Curley and Schultz have been arrested for their roles.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
JackK
Not Jack

Just one hard piece of evidence though- appendix 3D. Everything else is he said/she said via emails and interviews. I agree wholeheartedly that there's huge implication, and that it's warranted... I was just referring to the hard evidence

I hope they nail everyone to the wall for this. Including the janitors who watched it happen but kept quiet because they were afraid of losing their jobs.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
Just one hard piece of evidence though- appendix 3D.
Exhibits 3E and 3F are Joe Paterno's Handwriting

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Exhibits 3E and 3F are Joe Paterno's Handwriting
I missed 3F. Good call. Interesting that in 3E JVP is referred to- think he refers to himself in the third person often? Or written by someone else? Schultz?

But nonetheless, arguing semantics here. Thank you for clarifying the situation with the janitor, but that wasn't really my point, I apologize for being unclear. That whole area of PA deserves intense scrutiny, and anyone who was involved should be investigated thoroughly... and if deemed necessary, prosecuted.

Interested to see how long Sandusky lasts in federal pen.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
FishermanTim

Although I believe he was definitely involved with the cover up, I only hope that all remaining people involved receive just as much negative publicity and public persecution for their troubles, if not more.

It's easy to focus on the dead guy, because he can't fight back and ANY speculations will be thrown about without any rebuttal.

The remaining POS's need to be publicly tried and punished to the full extent of the law.

I also agree that the civil lawsuits may end up costing the school more than the fine and sanctions.

They REALLY f'd up!!!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote