Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Wdmso stated $8...a dollar an hour is 12.5% stop changing facts
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Funny now you're citing Wdmso as the source of public record
Old 01-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Funny now you're citing Wdmso as the source of public record
I'm doing simple math.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
I'm doing simple math.
The problem with simple math is if your variables are all wrong the product doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Previous minimum was 10 I believe. So no...

Maybe they can get off foodstamps?
They pay higher than state minimum wage? You sure?

Best way to get off foodstamps is to acquire skills that give you ore options than being a cashier or a greeter.

I'll ask you what I asked WDMSO. What did Obama do that was better for these people, than what the GOP did?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm doing simple math.
I think Walmart is moving everyone to a minimum of 11/hr. Not sure what everyone is at now, I had heard that they went according to statewide minimum wages.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I'll ask you what I asked WDMSO. What did Obama do that was better for these people, than what the GOP did?
I dunno, invested in the recovery act to save the economy from a deeper recession, got millions of poorer people access to health care they didn't have, helped shore policy to increase income for the bottom, etc... etc...
Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
I dunno, invested in the recovery act to save the economy from a deeper recession, got millions of poorer people access to health care they didn't have, helped shore policy to increase income for the bottom, etc... etc...
" invested in the recovery act to save the economy from a deeper recession"

The act that he said would keep unemployment under 8%, and it went above 10% instead? That act? How many people benefitted directly from that? And who are they?

"helped shore policy to increase income for the bottom"

See if you can be a bit more vague and evasive?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
"I dunno"

The only true thing in your post, you might have stopped there.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:17 AM   #39
wdmso

Quote:
Wdmso stated $8...a dollar an hour is 12.5% stop changing facts
8 to 9 - 9 to 10 or 10 to 11 dollars as I said if you think that a 1 dollar raise. is so how a great thing for people who cant find full time work or companys who wont give full time hours. its because your not making min wage

Congress hasn't voted to raise the minimum wage in more than a decade.

Missouri, for example, the minimum wage will rise from $7.70 an hour to $7.85 an hour in 2018, a slight uptick said to account for inflation.

Facts are facts every one is not seeing a dollar
Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #40
wdmso

Quote:
They pay higher than state minimum wage? You sure?

Best way to get off foodstamps is to acquire skills that give you ore options than being a cashier or a greeter.

the GOP gave away billions of dollars to companys who have all ways had the money to pay employees better ..

these announcements are propaganda they are stroking Trumps ego you ve seen what happens when he dosn't get praise from thoses he feels should bend a knee to him
Old 01-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
the GOP gave away billions of dollars to companys who have all ways had the money to pay employees better ..

these announcements are propaganda they are stroking Trumps ego you ve seen what happens when he dosn't get praise from thoses he feels should bend a knee to him
First, I asked you what obama did that was better for the working poor than the gop tax overhaul. You chose not to answer, which means you can’t think of anything, but you aren’t capable of admitting that I have a point.

Second, allowing the owners of a company to keep more of what is theirs, is not “giving” them something. There is a meaningful difference between giving something to someone that wasn’t theirs, and confiscating less of what was theirs. Liberals often confuse those very different things.

The companies are stroking trumps ego? Comcast announced 50 billion in infastructure spending. Comcast owns MSNBC. So you are telling us, that the ceo of Comcast who signs Rachael Maddow’s paycheck, is spending 50 billion as a PR stunt to help Trump? The man who owns MSNBC is trying to help Trump? That’s what you’re saying?

Wow.

Would it kill you to admit that yes, while the gop tax plan will help the wealthy, it’s also helping the average working Joe, too? Are you afraid you’d explode if you admitted that?

The fact that the democrats opposed this, isn’t going to help them in November.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #42
Nebe

November sure will be a day of reckoning. What it will be will just be further confirmation of our broken system and the problems of this country will just be kicked down the road like a rusty can.
We need term limits to purge Washington. We need people in congress and the senate who are fresh and don’t hold grudges and put country over party.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
November sure will be a day of reckoning. What it will be will just be further confirmation of our broken system and the problems of this country will just be kicked down the road like a rusty can.
We need term limits to purge Washington. We need people in congress and the senate who are fresh and don’t hold grudges and put country over party.
It's going to be a fascinating November.

Almost no chance the GOP loses seats in the senate, only because there are so many more democrats up for re-election. If half the seats up for re-election were GOP seats, different story.

In the house? Most people say if the election were today, the democrats would re-take the house. However, these are the same people who said that Trump was going to get creamed.

Will people vote against Trump because he's such a jerk? Or will they vote in favor of their larger paychecks? I don't think anyone knows. Democrats don't usually vote in bug numbers in mid-terms, that helps the GOP. But in most midterms, the president's party loses seats, which helps the Dems. So many moving pieces.

Term limits for sure. Politics was never intended to be a career, it was intended to be a temporary call of service that wasn't even supposed to be all that pleasant.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #44
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

There isn't a prayer in hell that Apple considers doing this unless the door was open for them to avoid paying taxes on a portion of this offshore war chest. They have kept funds off shore for years to avoid accounting for how much they have as well as paying taxes to the IRS. So they get a sweetheart deal and are going to pay $38 billion in taxes on that amount (pick a number, or let's use $252 billion) at a much lower rate than when they earned all this money, going back to company's founding. Who is to say that there isn't more than the 252 billion that will be repatriated and should have been taxed all along? This would not be the largest single tax payment if the debt had been rightfully paid when it should have been instead of being steered to an Irish bank. $38 billion is but a fraction of what they really should be paying, yet it is being spun as they are doing such great things by investing in the US economy..... yes. after t#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up our arses for years.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Who is to say that there isn't more than the 252 billion that will be repatriated and should have been taxed all along?
Here's the rub, this overseas money is tied up in investments earning returns...it's not cash they're bringing back to the US. They can pay the taxes and have flexibility in the future but there's no guarantee any of it will be spent domestically.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #46
scottw

Quote:

They can pay the taxes and have flexibility in the future but there's no guarantee any of it will be spent domestically.
Apple is giving its employees a $2,500 bonus
bringing $250 billion in cash that is currently overseas, back to the US
paying $38 billion in taxes on that cash
investing $30 billion in the US to create 20,000 jobs
matching employee charitable donations 2-to-1

is that not "domestically"?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
Here's the rub, this overseas money is tied up in investments earning returns...it's not cash they're bringing back to the US. They can pay the taxes and have flexibility in the future but there's no guarantee any of it will be spent domestically.
So you want to pass a law mandating that they spend it domestically?

Apple said there were creating 20,000 jobs in the us. That qualifies as domestic spending.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
There isn't a prayer in hell that Apple considers doing this unless the door was open for them to avoid paying taxes on a portion of this offshore war chest. They have kept funds off shore for years to avoid accounting for how much they have as well as paying taxes to the IRS. So they get a sweetheart deal and are going to pay $38 billion in taxes on that amount (pick a number, or let's use $252 billion) at a much lower rate than when they earned all this money, going back to company's founding. Who is to say that there isn't more than the 252 billion that will be repatriated and should have been taxed all along? This would not be the largest single tax payment if the debt had been rightfully paid when it should have been instead of being steered to an Irish bank. $38 billion is but a fraction of what they really should be paying, yet it is being spun as they are doing such great things by investing in the US economy..... yes. after t#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up our arses for years.....
Do you pay more than you have to? Why should the Apple shareholders? Thanks to the tax incentives, the irs will get 38 billion they otherwise would it have. That’s a good thing.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Apple is giving its employees a $2,500 bonus
bringing $250 billion in cash that is currently overseas, back to the US
paying $38 billion in taxes on that cash
investing $30 billion in the US to create 20,000 jobs
matching employee charitable donations 2-to-1

It’s unbelieveable. The ability to deny that which doesn’t serve your personal agenda. A huge tax hit, bonuses, new jobs. None of that amounts to domestic spending.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #50
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I never said they weren't going to invest more here or that it would be a bad thing. Just some of the numbers are misleading.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #51
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Do you pay more than you have to? Why should the Apple shareholders? Thanks to the tax incentives, the irs will get 38 billion they otherwise would it have. That’s a good thing.
You are missing the point. The only good thing about the 38 bil. to the IRS is that it is happening now. Much of that should never have been offshore and taxes should have been paid in the years it accrued. The Government is allowing them to pay a discount and pay late. There are two sets of books.... We will never know exactly how much was stashed offshore. This was their window of opportunity to settle for less, possibly much less than they would have owed, and to have a clean slate going forward. So my question back to you is why couldn't I do that???? Can I go back and amend my past twenty years of taxes and pay them at this years' lower rates???? Think they will cut me a big check for the difference????

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #52
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
No, the rub is that it is all pre-tax monies.... So in my view it is all dirty, comingled, and investments should be liquidated as a condition of clearing their liability.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #53
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1135581]It’s unbelieveable. The ability to deny that which doesn’t serve your personal agenda. A huge tax hit, bonuses, new jobs. None of that amounts to domestic spending.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE

A huge tax hit??? That is laughable.... It is roughly 15%.
The statutory corporate tax rate has gradually been reduced from over 50 percent in the 1950s to its current 35 percent. So who made out????

Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
No, the rub is that it is all pre-tax monies.... So in my view it is all dirty, comingled, and investments should be liquidated as a condition of clearing their liability.
Hard to enforce that when their actions appear to be legal. But co-mingled...yes.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #55
wdmso

Thumbs up

Quote:
exactly
Old 01-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #56
Raven

Angry

if apple was free

i wouldn't touch it

with a ten foot pole
Old 01-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #57
wdmso

Quote:
First, I asked you what obama did that was better for the working poor than the gop tax overhaul.

Would it kill you to admit that yes, while the gop tax plan will help the wealthy, it’s also helping the average working Joe, too? Are you afraid you’d explode if you admitted that?

8 years of Obama is why the economic out look is better
Not because of Trumps tax break .. the gop helped the wealthy as soon as it passed .. your trickle down hasn't helped the avg working Joe ... as you suggest let's see in 4 year when there is data aka facts to support your suggestion
Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #58
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=nightfighter;1135588]
Quote:
It’s unbelieveable. The ability to deny that which doesn’t serve your personal agenda. A huge tax hit, bonuses, new jobs. None of that amounts to domestic spending.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE

A huge tax hit??? That is laughable.... It is roughly 15%.
The statutory corporate tax rate has gradually been reduced from over 50 percent in the 1950s to its current 35 percent. So who made out????
It’s 38 billion that can be used to help people.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
8 years of Obama is why the economic out look is better
Not because of Trumps tax break .. the gop helped the wealthy as soon as it passed .. your trickle down hasn't helped the avg working Joe ... as you suggest let's see in 4 year when there is data aka facts to support your suggestion
All. Heard during the obama years was that people at the bottom missed out on the recovery. Specifically what did obama do that helps these people more than tax reform?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #60
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1135605]
Quote:

It’s 38 billion that can be used to help people.
My point is $87.5 billion (which is the 35% tax on $250 bilion) could help a lot more..... and build a wall too. This money could have been helping people during Clinton's, Bush's and Obama's administrations if it had been paid when due, instead of being diverted to Ireland and then the tax haven island of Jersey....