Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Jim in CT

This is even scarier

Obama is saying that the Supreme Court, since they are "unelected", has no business overturning his healthcare law, which was passed by elected officials?

Republicans Slam Obama Over Warning To 'unelected' Supreme Court | Fox News

This guy was a professor of Constitutional law, and he doesn't see where the Supreme Court gets off declaring a law is unconstitutional? Has Obama ever read the Constitution? Has he ever heard of seperation of powers or checks and balances?

Unfreakingbelieveble. This guy taught constitutional law...Look at this quote from Obama...

"I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress,"

When the Supreme Court is reviewing the constitutionality of a law, how it became a law is of no consequence. They routinely declare laws unconstitutional which have been passed by elected legislators. That's one of the core responsibilities of the court, for Christ's sakes.

Is Obama under the impression that when he signs a law, it's above scrutiny by the Supreme Court? Did he get elected President, or did he get anointed king, sometimes I forget??

Spence, looking forward to your apologetic, pro-Obama spin here...
Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

thats funny, I guess he doesnt comprehend the 3 branches of our govt.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
thats funny, I guess he doesnt comprehend the 3 branches of our govt.

If he does know, he must think the executive branch rules over the judicial.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Jim in CT

This guy TAUGHT CONSTITUTIONAL LAW at law school!

Imagine if Sarah Palin said "it's not the role of the Supreme Court to toss out laws passed by the legislature".

How does Obama think abortion became legal? The Supreme Court decided that anti-abortion laws, which were passed by democratically elected officials, were unconstitutional.

Unfreakinbelievable.

Constitution, shmonstitution.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

uh oh! The libs are getting antsy!
Read this and you'll puke on yourself.....

Is the Supreme Court playing with fire? - CNN.com

"The justices' apparent willingness to take such steps suggests they may not appreciate the political stakes. A decision to wash away the most important federal statute in a generation, rendered in the heat of a presidential campaign, would likely unleash a political firestorm -- one that could significantly threaten the stature of the Supreme Court"

uh, so we shouldnt worry about the law, we should worry about the political implications? The quote could be coming straight frome "Animal Farm" or Stalin's propaganda machine.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Between sending a warning shot at the SC, and today stating that Reagan wouldn't win a primary, and in fact would be rejected by the GOP..... I think Obama is showing his lack of understanding history and the Constitution. Also showing some dictatorial traits..... Do you think that Reagan would have whispered "let me get back to you after the election" to the Russians?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Between sending a warning shot at the SC, and today stating that Reagan wouldn't win a primary, and in fact would be rejected by the GOP..... I think Obama is showing his lack of understanding history and the Constitution. Also showing some dictatorial traits..... Do you think that Reagan would have whispered "let me get back to you after the election" to the Russians?
The fact that it may be a 5-4 decision doesn't show that Obama doesn't understand the Constitution...it's a reflection that there is a slight variation in judgement. If the decision is 4-5 the other way does that mean that the other argument is completely wrong?

As for Reagan, I'm not sure you could be more off. Reagan at the height of the Cold War made a deal with Gorbachev to give him a soft landing as the USSR was breaking up. The stakes were a lot higher and the deal couldn't have been more personal. Do you think he didn't work to cut the best deal he could?

Reagan's brilliance was that he was really a pragmatist...

-spence
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

They were scared #^&#^&#^&#^& of Reagan, Jeff! They knew he had the balls to do whatever the situation called for. And they also knew he hated what they stoud for, pre-Gorbachov

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
They were scared #^&#^&#^&#^& of Reagan, Jeff! They knew he had the balls to do whatever the situation called for. And they also knew he hated what they stoud for, pre-Gorbachov
The Soviets weren't scared of Reagan, they were scared of their own people as they saw communism falling apart.

Most of Reagan's tough talk was to appease Republicans here in the states. While Reagan was sabre rattling on the ABC nightly news he was working with Gorbachev to compromise on INF and START...

Remember, as much as Reagan hated communism he hated nuclear weapons more...remarking "totally irrational, totally inhumane, good for nothing but killing, possibly destructive of life on earth and civilization."

People say Reagan couldn't get the GOP nomination today but I think that's crazy. He'd simply trot out the same story he told for 40 years which inspires and makes people feel good about their country, then quietly work behind the scenes to get the best deal he thought he could.

That's the Reagan legacy people should remember and respect.

-spence
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
Yes, a very practical man, but more importantly a true Leader who brought
the country together, made people proud to be Americans and brought
out true Patriotism.

The Justices should not be concerned wether something is completly wrong or not, but wether
it is or is not Constitutional.

Last edited by justplugit; 04-03-2012 at 07:23 PM..

" Choose Life "
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
The Justices should not be concerned wether something is completly wrong or not, but wether
it is or is not Constitutional.
Well, then it will pass, since it is constitutional based on precedent. The real question is whether the supreme court will overturn settled law. Many are obviously in favor of that.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The fact that it may be a 5-4 decision doesn't show that Obama doesn't understand the Constitution...it's a reflection that there is a slight variation in judgement. If the decision is 4-5 the other way does that mean that the other argument is completely wrong?

As for Reagan, I'm not sure you could be more off. Reagan at the height of the Cold War made a deal with Gorbachev to give him a soft landing as the USSR was breaking up. The stakes were a lot higher and the deal couldn't have been more personal. Do you think he didn't work to cut the best deal he could?

-spence
Spence, what about Obama's statement that it would be "unprecedented" if the Supreme Courtoverturned a law passed by democratically elected officials? That's not breathtakingly stupid?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
zimmy

Quote:
today stating that Reagan wouldn't win a primary
He must be following these boards. I have been saying that for months. It doesn't show a lack of understanding of history, it shows an understanding of how far right the repubs have fallen. Although, Romney's candidacy does seem to nullify that. The tea party couldn't pull it off.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
uh, so we shouldnt worry about the law, we should worry about the political implications? .
The SOLE REASON the founding fathers saw fit to create this court (unelected justices with lifetime appointments) was so that they could render their decisions free of politcal considerations.

Is this still the USA, or did that change in the last 3 days? Is this all an April Fools joke? What the heck is going here?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Well I guess the fact that our elected officials passed the legislation despite the fact that it was highly unpopular. Then consequently lost the house because of it is not important. Just another situation where our officials think they need to tell us how we should live.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Well I guess the fact that our elected officials passed the legislation despite the fact that it was highly unpopular. Then consequently lost the house because of it is not important. Just another situation where our officials think they need to tell us how we should live.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It isn't a question of telling us how to live. It is a question of what our system is and how a persons lack of health insurance affects that system. I really wonder what percent of the uninsured or are denied for pre-existing conditions are against the law . It is almost certainly people who all ready have good insurance that are bchng. As an insured person, I would really appreciate it if all the people in the ER for colds at 11 on a Saturday night had insurance and could see a gp. It would take much less time for the hook to get removed from my thumb.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

News from Earth!

Supreme Court overturns anti-animal cruelty law in First Amendment case
Resize Print E-mail Reprints
By Robert Barnes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Supreme Court on Tuesday forcefully struck down a federal law aimed at banning depictions of dog fighting and other violence against animals, saying it violated constitutional guarantees of free speech and created a "criminal prohibition of alarming breadth."

The 8 to 1 ruling, written by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., was a ringing endorsement of the First Amendment's protection of even distasteful expression. Roberts called "startling and dangerous" the government's argument that the value of certain categories of speech should be weighed against their societal costs when protecting free speech.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Court and Constitutional Interpretation

"The complex role of the Supreme Court in this system derives from its authority to invalidate legislation or executive actions which, in the Court's considered judgment, conflict with the Constitution. This power of "judicial review" has given the Court a crucial responsibility in assuring individual rights, as well as in maintaining a "living Constitution" whose broad provisions are continually applied to complicated new situations."

Simple terms....

Role of the Supreme Court | Scholastic.com

"It can tell a President that his actions are not allowed by the Constitution. It can tell Congress that a law it passed violated the U.S. Constitution and is, therefore, no longer a law. It can also tell the government of a state that one of its laws breaks a rule in the Constitution."

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
The Court and Constitutional Interpretation

"The complex role of the Supreme Court in this system derives from its authority to invalidate legislation or executive actions which, in the Court's considered judgment, conflict with the Constitution. This power of "judicial review" has given the Court a crucial responsibility in assuring individual rights, as well as in maintaining a "living Constitution" whose broad provisions are continually applied to complicated new situations."

Simple terms....

"It can tell a President that his actions are not allowed by the Constitution. It can tell Congress that a law it passed violated the U.S. Constitution and is, therefore, no longer a law. It can also tell the government of a state that one of its laws breaks a rule in the Constitution."
wow, things are interesting on the planet you call earth

Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
wow, things are interesting on the planet you call earth
I find it easier to understand you earthlings by walking amongst you...instead of gaining my understanding by deciphering the TV and Radio transmissions we have iintercepted in outer space

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

US First Lady Michelle Obama appeared on Tuesday night's episode of "The Biggest Loser" to promote her campaign against obesity -- and has hosted the US diet reality show's first White House workout.

Maybe this foreshadows her husband's campaign?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
buckman

Quote:
US First Lady Michelle Obama appeared on Tuesday night's episode of "The Biggest Loser" to promote her campaign against obesity -- and has hosted the US diet reality show's first White House workout.

Maybe this foreshadows her husband's campaign?
Would that be his anti smoking campaign??.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Zimmy, dont feel like playing 3yr old today.
You stated - " they almost always reject even hearing cases of settled law, so to say it is no big deal is a stretch."

Big Stretch? They have overturned 1,315 laws (thats overturned not heard! They uphold most of them!) That would make an average from 1808 through 2002 of 6.7 laws per year ruled unconstitutional. Thats a lot. Of course they receive thousands of requests but many do not make it to the SC.
you were trying to side with Obama and say that if the court overturns the health care its unprescedented which is has been proven over and over in this thread to be utter bull$hit.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
zimmy

Quote:
Zimmy, dont feel like playing 3yr old today.
You stated - " they almost always reject even hearing cases of settled law, so to say it is no big deal is a stretch."

Big Stretch? They have overturned 1,315 laws (thats overturned not heard! They uphold most of them!) That would make an average from 1808 through 2002 of 6.7 laws per year ruled unconstitutional. Thats a lot. Of course they receive thousands of requests but many do not make it to the SC.
you were trying to side with Obama and say that if the court overturns the health care its unprescedented which is has been proven over and over in this thread to be utter bull$hit.
Ok, then here is the math 6.7/10000 = 6/100ths of a percent. They uphold or reject 99.94% of petitions. I knew what the numbers were before I made my statement and I will stick with the statement you quoted. It is rare for them to overturn congress or to even hear what is considered settle by past precedent. Those aren't my opinions, they are facts established by the record.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Ok, then here is the math 6.7/10000 = 6/100ths of a percent. They uphold or reject 99.94% of petitions. I knew what the numbers were before I made my statement and I will stick with the statement you quoted. It is rare for them to overturn congress or to even hear what is considered settle by past precedent. Those aren't my opinions, they are facts established by the record.
thats the equivalent of saying its rare for police officers to make arrests. They may respond to 25,000 calls but only arrest 10 people.
Thats not rare, its part of the process to prioritize.
It is commonplace that the supreme court hears cases on established law and will overturn them if deemed unconstutional. Its not rare at all. I will refer you to DadFs posting once again since its tough for you to grasp -

"It can tell a President that his actions are not allowed by the Constitution. It can tell Congress that a law it passed violated the U.S. Constitution and is, therefore, no longer a law. It can also tell the government of a state that one of its laws breaks a rule in the Constitution

Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
zimmy

Quote:
Its not rare at all. I will refer you to DadFs posting once again since its tough for you to grasp -
What I said is most of the time, they won't even hear the cases that have precedent in the law. 99.64 % of the time is most of the time. 10/25000 would be that they rarely arrest people relative to the calls. Simple math. Classy responses today Jimmy.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
zimmy

What Obama should have said:
"I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it...I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with answer, but it hadn't yet...I don't want to sound like I have made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one."

Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
zimmy

Quote:
thats the equivalent of saying its rare for police officers to make arrests. They may respond to 25,000 calls but only arrest 10 people.
Thats not rare, its part of the process to prioritize.
It is commonplace that the supreme court hears cases on established law
I have been thinking about how it can be that you can be arguing so strongly against my statements about settled law. Now I see the problem. Settled law specifically is covered by Stare decisis. You didn't know what settled law means in legal terms. "Established law" is not what I am talking about. Of course the supreme court rules on rules that are established. What they do not typically due is rule on settled law. That is a basic rule of the supreme court. You're calling me clueless really was baffling, but in the context that you didn't know what I was talking about, ironically, it makes sense. Whether it is settled law is debatable point. Whether the supreme court is resistant to even hearing cases related to settled law is not.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Zimmy, if Obama said it's "rare" to overturn a law, then your figures would have some valid place here. He didn't, so they don't. If something has been done more than 1,000 times, it's not "unprecedented". There's lots of "precedent".

That comment, coming from a professor of constitutional law, is as shockingly ignorant as anything Palin ever said.

How completely brainwashed are you and Spence anyway? Do you hear yourselves? Do you really, genuinely believe what you're saying? Would your heads explode if you said "the guy's brilliant, but boy that was a dumb thing to say".
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That comment, coming from a professor of constitutional law, is as shockingly ignorant as anything Palin ever said.
Good we can agree that Palin has said some shockingly ignorant things...but I don't see Obama's remark on the "I can see Russia from my house" level or what ever she said.

The reality is that his remark was incomplete. It was not a policy position, it was a response to a question. To place it in a box is a deconstructive response not intended to further the debate.

The constructive action would be to ask what he really meant, which another reporter did and what I've posted above as Obama's response.

That's what you should be reacting to no?

-spence (super cool non-inflammatory poster here)