Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Turning Computer Drawings into Lexan Templates for Vega

I'm trying to figure out the best way to trace and cut lure silhouettes onto Lexan to be used as templates for the Vega duplicator. Is this accomplished through a CNC service of some sort? If so, can anyone recommend a vendor?

Any other recommendations for creating a blemish-free duplicator template if it were to be traced and cut free-hand?

Thank you for any advice.

Eric
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Nebe

Print it on paper. Use 3m contact cement to stick paper on lexan, then cut lexan and paper on the bandsaw. Easy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
blondterror

I photocopy the plug on card stock paper (avery) and cut the profile carefully with scissors... then I tape this cutout with 3M blue painters tape onto the lexan and cut it out on my band saw... then I saw the profile with 120 grit in a rubber sanding block ... I turn a test plug and take measurements on the plug... usually I need to sand down a few spots on my lexan template .... best to creep up on the final profile to get what you want

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Eric Roach
Big E

Thank you, gents.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Big Dave

Eric
I use wood to make my templates. acutally the hardest part is sanding the edge smooth and straight. But all in all it works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010070.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	45408  
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Eric Roach
Big E

Thanks, Dave. Good to hear from you -- I hope you are well.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
I photocopy the plug on card stock paper (avery) and cut the profile carefully with scissors... then I tape this cutout with 3M blue painters tape onto the lexan and cut it out on my band saw... then I saw the profile with 120 grit in a rubber sanding block ... I turn a test plug and take measurements on the plug... usually I need to sand down a few spots on my lexan template .... best to creep up on the final profile to get what you want
Bingo....thats exactly how I do it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
pbadad

If you have a body available to copy and don't mind taking the wire out, chuck the plug into the head and tail stock of lathe. Put into the Vega groove a piece of plexi w/ paper on. Grind down a pencil to fit into the stylus holder. Make pencil touch paper on plexi. Next remove your cut bit from the holder. Make a phoney cutter look alike out of a dowel. Grind a soft point on it. Install in holder and lightly run wood bit facsimile along plug body and the pencil touching the paper on plexi will trace the exact outline. Cut on bandsaw and sand down to outline. Good Luck.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
TheLureWasher

Send a message via AIM to TheLureWasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
If you have a body available to copy and don't mind taking the wire out, chuck the plug into the head and tail stock of lathe. Put into the Vega groove a piece of plexi w/ paper on. Grind down a pencil to fit into the stylus holder. Make pencil touch paper on plexi. Next remove your cut bit from the holder. Make a phoney cutter look alike out of a dowel. Grind a soft point on it. Install in holder and lightly run wood bit facsimile along plug body and the pencil touching the paper on plexi will trace the exact outline. Cut on bandsaw and sand down to outline. Good Luck.
I do the same thing except i took a piece of rod and ground a point onto it to scribe the plexi or lexan.
TheLureWasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Eric Roach
Big E

My brother has access to a CLC laser cutter at his place of work, so I think I'm going to luck out with computer-created arcs cut blemish-free onto Lexan.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
TheLureWasher

Send a message via AIM to TheLureWasher
id like to see some of those finished templates if you go that route.
post some pics please.
TheLureWasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Man I'd hate to be around a laser cutting that stuff. Phew.

Eric if that doesn't work out for you then I can probably take it right into my machine and cut them for you on the router. I think I could use a small carbide mill to do that. Mcmaster has lexan in different sizes and I always liked the 1/4" thickness. I got pretty good wear on my templates and I turned alot on that duplicator. I will never go back to manual strictly cnc now and manual copy on the big machine. I may have some extra templates you could use.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote