Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 08-27-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Wicked easy flooring

If you are looking new flooring....this stuff has got to be the easiest to install. Just did 1000 sq ft of it and barely broke a sweat. No underlayment necessary...install over any suface....waterproof, cuts easy, install with a rubber mallet. The natural wood look is remarkably convincing. Its called Procore luxury vinyl planks.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:55 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Looks goood Bob,,, expensive?

House across the street from me just sold,,, buyers had carpet removed and unfinished oak installed,,,, 1000+ ft. ,,, talk about a tuff job,,, right in the middle of that heat wave.... I felt guilty the whole time like I shouldda gone over and helped.... LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Looks goood Bob,,, expensive?

House across the street from me just sold,,, buyers had carpet removed and unfinished oak installed,,,, 1000+ ft. ,,, talk about a tuff job,,, right in the middle of that heat wave.... I felt guilty the whole time like I shouldda gone over and helped.... LOL

i busted my cherry laying strip oak flooring....at 2" wide... laying six courses along the width of a house would only get you a foot of coverage. We had to drill and hand nail the first few courses then use a "powernailer" to nail no more than 8" apart.
Not sure why they called it that because it was not a pneumatic device....power was supplied by the installer with a weighted mallet swung with gusto to drive flooring tight. Try that for eight hours a day......your back will be aching/burning badly.

Lowes has the vinyl planks for $2.40 a sq ft. ... 7" wide strips make for quick yardage...and there is no minimal waste when you use starter cutoffs at the ends.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
i busted my cherry laying strip oak oflooring....at 2" wide... laying six courses along the width of a house would only get you a foot of coverage. We had to drill and hand nail the first few courses then use a "powernailer" to nail no more than 8" apart.
Not sure why they called it that because it was not a pneumatic device....power was supplied by the installer with a weighted mallet swung with gusto to drive flooring tight. Try that for eight hours a day......your back will be aching/burning badly.

Lowes has the vinyl planks for $2.40 a sq ft. ... 7" wide strips make for quick yardage...and there is no minimal waste when you use starter cutoffs at the ends.
I think Mine is still out in the shed somewhere,,,,,,, you can have it! :-)
The last few courses up against a wall is A real pleasure also... LOL
Old 08-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Rmarsh

Quote:
I think Mine is still out in the shed somewhere,,,,,,, you can have it! :- LOL

Thanks Ray....I have one taking up space over here......hasnt been used in literally decades. I keep stuff around ...even though I will certainly never use again.

The wooden mallet handle is puckered to help keep your grip......some spit has been used on occasion for that too

Old 08-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Quote:
Thanks Ray....I have one taking up space over here......hasnt been used in literally decades. I keep stuff around ...even though I will certainly never use again.

The wooden mallet handle is puckered to help keep your grip......some spit has been used on occasion for that too
That’s the one! My back heart’s lookin at it....
Old 08-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Screw that....It's been ten years since I actually did the installing of a wood floor, but whenever I rented the tool, it was going to have a nipple for my air hose... I subbed out the big floor installs anyway.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:04 AM   #8
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Screw that....It's been ten years since I actually did the installing of a wood floor, but whenever I rented the tool, it was going to have a nipple for my air hose... I subbed out the big floor installs anyway.

Yeah Ross we sub out most flooring installs too, we make the call to do it ourselves when schedules and manpower dictate. When we sub it out we get many more complaints and often have to replace the pieces with obvious defects that the morons installed. They also way overdo it with the excessive face nailing of final courses.....totally unnecessary. Another example of a guy with a nail gun overnailing the crap out of something.

I worked for a custom home builder who kept the use of subs to a minimum.... even poured our own concrete floors. I use to get a sick feeling in my stomach...hearing the concrete trucks pulling up to the job first thing in the morning....
Old 09-02-2020, 12:42 AM   #9
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
The last few courses up against a wall is A real pleasure also... LOL

HA... that brought back some un-fond memories. Played GC for my first house, was told I'd save a boat-load of money if I did. Decided to do the hardwood myself...roughly 2,600 sq. ft, with the other 300 tiled, never did flooring before...wifee wanted no thresholds, all rooms ran into one another.... ... quite the challenge, created a jig of sorts to handle the wall courses, I did damage the sheetrock a little, but the baseboard offered forgiveness....avoided nail holes at all costs. Lotta blood, sweat and tears,,, but did save a boat load of $$ -

I'll have to check out that procore stuff....thinking of laying out a 2700 sq ft basement, my gut says keep it polished concrete, but wifee is leaning hard with the elbow again...

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
HA... that brought back some un-fond memories. Played GC for my first house, was told I'd save a boat-load of money if I did. Decided to do the hardwood myself...roughly 2,600 sq. ft, with the other 300 tiled, never did flooring before...wifee wanted no thresholds, all rooms ran into one another.... ... quite the challenge, created a jig of sorts to handle the wall courses, I did damage the sheetrock a little, but the baseboard offered forgiveness....avoided nail holes at all costs. Lotta blood, sweat and tears,,, but did save a boat load of $$ -

I'll have to check out that procore stuff....thinking of laying out a 2700 sq ft basement, my gut says keep it polished concrete, but wifee is leaning hard with the elbow again...

Gilly...for a first timer laying that much flooring is impressive!
And.....hitting the wall with the mallet as you get closer to finishing is typical....got to choke up on that handle...like right up to the head!
The vinyl planks are excellent for basement floors.
If you would like to see the install I did and grab a few leftovers for samples send me a pm...your welcome to come by the job and check it out. It's at 999 Main Rd.....multi-use commercial property we are slowly rehabing. Westport Marine is one of our tenants.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I used it in a small bathroom. I think I had twice as many cuts as full boards. That being said it is easy to work with, it looks way better than vinyl and does not absorb water.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #12
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
The vinyl planks are excellent for basement floors.
If you would like to see the install I did and grab a few leftovers for samples send me a pm....
Bob & Ed, I read the reviews on the Lowe's site....(not that I trust them completely) but it states that they break easy during installation and that they scratch easily?? I trust both your words over any online review....

What's your thoughts on that? I can't imagine it being that bad??

I have a vapor barrier below the slab, even forced the crew to tape the seams before they poured... would I need another between the slab and the flooring? Or does this stuff just lay right on the concrete?

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:57 AM   #13
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Bob & Ed, I read the reviews on the Lowe's site....(not that I trust them completely) but it states that they break easy during installation and that they scratch easily?? I trust both your words over any online review....

What's your thoughts on that? I can't imagine it being that bad??

I have a vapor barrier below the slab, even forced the crew to tape the seams before they poured... would I need another between the slab and the flooring? Or does this stuff just lay right on the concrete?

Gil...I've not broken a single piece ...and to be clear...not my first time using this stuff...couple thousand sq ft by now....and I havent noticed any scratches at all. (what scratches easier than hardwood??) You can install directly over concrete...or anything else. Finished a huge basement floor with it last summer.....looks great. You could take a ride and see the install I just did and also one for a tenant in light industrial business that I did a year ago.
I have some extra pieces here that you could take with you to evaluate.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Mine is in a bathroom and doesn't get any scratching type wear. It has closed cell foam on the back that absorbs some irregularities and i put a scrap in a bucket of water for a couple of days and measured the thickness with a caliper before and after, no change.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote