Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Pluggage storage

I was just wondering what kind of beach bags and plug containers you guys use to schlepp your tackle up and down the beach , jetty bag , backpack , piggly-wiggly bag ?
And what do you place the plugs in so they don't tangle ?
Currently I have an army surplus ruck sack with a couple of Plano boxes and some lure tubes from Bass Pro .
Any sugestions
Kadywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:40 PM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

there are many to choose from and in all sizes and price ranges: b&w, bronco, canyon, aquaskinz( my favorite ) and more.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

aqua skiz belt bag holds a mess of plugs in 3 tubes,leaders,pliers,sluggos,tins and more
I have a canyon bag the 2 row one, hold alot of plugs too, plus a scale,tape,flouro etc.

I have the medium aqua skinz bag that holds my large canal plugs and plenty of bucktail jigs plus a place for the pork rind jars.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

lately i've been liking two small aquaskinz bags on my belt- holds plenty. i also have a large a/s in which i keep my larger stuff.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Squid kids Dad

I like the aquasinkz medium myself

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I have the Aqua skinz 5 tube and i never use it.. so much freakin velcro ,,sux to pry it open .. I end up with the 5 tube bronco,, Got big canyon ,,,thats work carrying that thing loaded.. I'd like to make up my own 3 tube on each side mexican gun fighter style maybe,.. Easy access has to be #1.. Not to big #2.. what ever size it is I'll end up loading it up with junk .. like carrying my sister around ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Question

Can you buy just tubes for the plugs ? Bass Pro has some but they won't handle the biggest plugs .
Old 10-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

8' flouresent lamp plastic slip on protector covers from home cheapo. cut to fit.
thank jonny for that one

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
pops

njtackle.com sells 8"x2-1/2" tubes...need holes for drainage,taped together or glued to avoid loose tubes in the bag.

Last edited by pops; 07-24-2006 at 04:25 PM..
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
njtackle.com sells 8"x2-1/2" tubes...need holes for drainage,taped together or glued to avoid loose tubes in the bag.
Do they open from the top (end) ?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
pops

they come with a square cap like an individual storage tube,that I leave off [obviously ] in the bag ....you can custom any bag youve got ...make a 14 row bag ...and stuff some with lids in your wader/jacket

in the 1st picture the trebles hanging on the top lip of each tube [open top]

Last edited by pops; 07-24-2006 at 04:25 PM..
Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #12
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Talking

Thanks Pops , I'll give em a try , I like customizing my own gear .
Old 10-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #13
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours
there are many to choose from and in all sizes and price ranges: b&w, bronco, canyon, aquaskinz( my favorite ) and more.
Are those bags 'over the shoulder bags' , and if so don't they get in the way when fishing or do you leave them on shore and then wade out if need be ?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Central Vac plastic tubing. home cheapo

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #15
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
Central Vac plastic tubing. home cheapo
Do you cap them or just cut to length and bind together in a bag?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #16
libassboy

I use the canyon three row, an aquaskinz belt bag and small pouch. I keep my plastic in the aquaskinz, wood in the canyon, and storm shads/rubber in the pouch.
If im fishing a spot where i wont be moving around much sometimes ill leave the canyon on the shore behind me, always checking on it tho....
libassboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #17
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

I made one last year out of pvc pipe. Cut it to the length of the longest plug, made 6, duct taped them together, and then built a bag to fit around. Despite the fact that it's no longer pretty (trim is coming off, side mesh pockets ripped to shreds), it still functions very well. I'd suggest the canvas fabric, plastic clips (not velcro), and grommets in the bottom for drainage as main points. And the thing only costs about $20 to make.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #18
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadywampus
Are those bags 'over the shoulder bags' , and if so don't they get in the way when fishing or do you leave them on shore and then wade out if need be ?
Most of the bags mentioned are over the shoulder bags. Most guys I know have a main bag or bags that they work out of and leave it in their vehicle. Depending on the current conditions they take what plugs they will be using. The smaller and medium size bags hold enough of plugs and supplies to use throughout your trip in the surf. These smaller bags are either attached to the anglers hip via a belt or just looped over your shoulder and pushed towards your back. Both provide plenty of comfort and you can cast for hours with them there.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan19
Most of the bags mentioned are over the shoulder bags. Most guys I know have a main bag or bags that they work out of and leave it in their vehicle. Depending on the current conditions they take what plugs they will be using. The smaller and medium size bags hold enough of plugs and supplies to use throughout your trip in the surf. These smaller bags are either attached to the anglers hip via a belt or just looped over your shoulder and pushed towards your back. Both provide plenty of comfort and you can cast for hours with them there.
Sometimes I walk quite a bit looking for fish and therefore find a backpack more comfortable and walking back to the car can be inconvienient . So , I prefer to carry most everything I'll need with me .
Old 10-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #20
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Babe
I made one last year out of pvc pipe. Cut it to the length of the longest plug, made 6, duct taped them together, and then built a bag to fit around. Despite the fact that it's no longer pretty (trim is coming off, side mesh pockets ripped to shreds), it still functions very well. I'd suggest the canvas fabric, plastic clips (not velcro), and grommets in the bottom for drainage as main points. And the thing only costs about $20 to make.
I don't think it's possible to catch fish with a "pretty" bag. but the price is right for this Scotsman .
Old 10-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #21
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

With the smaller bags you take what you need for the trip everything else stays in the car for future trips no walking back to the car. With these smaller bags mentioned you can fit enough supplies for the entire night. Plugs, jigs, tins and extra line, or what ever else you need. They are lightweight and highly mobile and sometimes you don't even know they are there.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadywampus
Do you cap them or just cut to length and bind together in a bag?
The ones I got were PVC I think I just cemented them together with that foul smelling PVC glue. Just put a bunch down the side and hold together, make whatever configuration you want, then put in a bag or crate. My brother in law does boat canvas work so I had him make a bag to fit the tubes. You can cap the bottom so the hooks don't get stuck in the bottom of the tube, always happen's when fish are breaking. Drill hole for drainage. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 10-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #23
gone fishin

I got sick of the round tubes in my bag always coming unglued and slipping around in the bag. I took two plano plastic boxs and cut the latch side off on the saw. I drilled a 1/4" holes in the bottom of the divisions for drainage and I epoxied a few 3/4" spacers between the hinged sides and slipped the asssembly into my bag. They fit tight, but they hold a dozen plugs with plenty of tin in the spaces created with the spacers between the boxs.. when the bag becomes jumbled because of dumping the gear inside, I simply yank the insert out and open the boxs to clean up the gear.

The only gripe I have with all the bags is that they are not deep enough to handle big wood!

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:59 PM   #24
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I wrap duct tape around all the tubes after they are glued together. Never have come apart. There must be about a million ways to carry your gear. P.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #25
pops

plan 'b'
thesurfcater sells plastic custom inserts for 7 [ 4 big plug 3 needle/small]
or 5 big plugs ...
because they are one peice and made to drain its kinda the end price of going through your own trouble....labour...
they are a little heavier than the tubes from njt but SOLID.
looks exactly like the picture i posted just one piece
Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #26
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Talking

Thanks everyone for some great ideas on hauling timber down the beach .
Now if everyone who posted a response would please send me 1 plug , I'll be glad to field test them on California stripers.