Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Lip slot

What's the best way to cut a uniform slot for swimmer/surfster lips ?
Kadywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

V-block jig on a bandsaw
with a fence to keep the angle the same on them and a stop to keep the depth the same.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

I do it on the bandsaw against the fence before I cut the square ends off the blank. That won't work with dowels, then you'll need to use a vblock.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I do all my lip slots, face and body angles, with the same fixture. Everything is taken off the belly holes, which I do first. Fixture can be slide along the fence in the band saw. It can also be used with the miter gauge to do face and body angles and angle lip slots too. Can be used with the belt sander for the body angles too. I have 2 different size pins that fit into the fixture and the 2 belly holes sizes I use. I also have jack screws in the rear of the fixture to adjust the plug so it sits level and to keep it straight. Alum. is nice and heavy which helps also. Could be made out of wood. P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fixture1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	15044   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixture2.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	15045  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
PNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
I do all my lip slots, face and body angles, with the same fixture. Everything is taken off the belly holes, which I do first. Fixture can be slide along the fence in the band saw. It can also be used with the miter gauge to do face and body angles and angle lip slots too. Can be used with the belt sander for the body angles too. I have 2 different size pins that fit into the fixture and the 2 belly holes sizes I use. I also have jack screws in the rear of the fixture to adjust the plug so it sits level and to keep it straight. Alum. is nice and heavy which helps also. Could be made out of wood. P.
That thing looks to be out about 1/75,000 there bub.

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I knew you couldn't resist. A little overkill but what the hell if you got the stock and machines you might as well use them. Might work on those angles you make. Any fish yet?

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 04-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

im much more hack than you pm. i got the stock and the machines too, but no time for the gov't work.........all work and no play

my fence is a straight piece of wood clamped to the table, at the desired angle. the stop is a clamp to keep the jig from going too deep.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
PNG

Quote:
I knew you couldn't resist. A little overkill but what the hell if you got the stock and machines you might as well use them. Might work on those angles you make. Any fish yet?
Yer starten to figure me out I gotta change tactics

2 busy 2 check, I was gonna go this weekend but I will b away. Maybe Sunday.

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

Quote:
Any fish yet?
yes
Old 04-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Question

Professor M, i can see how you can get your belly holes centered and square if you leave the square ends on before drilling , but if you use Profeesor T's hydro oriented method, and remove the squares, how are you holding the plug to get the belly holes centered then.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Well Dave with a little math and a very expensive vise, oh yeah a Bridgeport helps you can find the center of the plugs and drill away. Adjusting the handles for varying dia. I realize this is not something many people have laying around. I have been thinking of a way to use a drill press and vise to do a similar way. If all the plugs were of the same dia. then you could just set the vise and you would be on center but that would be too easy. I think maybe a fixture which would orientate the plug using the thru hole. Maybe a pin inserted into each end, adjustable for different length. The fixture would be mounted on drill press so the pin center line would be on center of the drill press spindle, then plug dia. would not matter. I will do some thinking on it. You could always just do it by eye with a hand drill . Paul

Old 04-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #12
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Cut the lip slot first. Now make a fixture with a flat metal plate (to take the place of the lip). Slide the plug in the plate and align the center of the plug with the center of the plate!
Locate under drill press spindle, drill!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
crash
Professional dumba$$

I cut very carefully by hand. Takes forever, but no room for a bandsaw.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston
Cut the lip slot first. Now make a fixture with a flat metal plate (to take the place of the lip). Slide the plug in the plate and align the center of the plug with the center of the plate!
Locate under drill press spindle, drill!
That is also a great way to do it. I have seen the fixture for that. Reel keen. There are as many ways as there is plugmakers. P.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

That is a great way of doing it Bill.

Prof P., you are offically on sabbatical to work on the new fixture.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Kadywampus
Tackle Junkie

Great info , I'm glad I started the thread except for PMs jig which makes my jigs look like they're made with rubber bands and popsicle sticks .
Kadywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

They are overrated. Just looks fancy because they are alum. You can do the same with a nice hard wood. When I get some time , like next winter , I will try and whip up a fixture like the one Bill "Charleston" explained. Paul