Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Ake G

Envirotex Lite drying temps...Options?

It's going on a week and the finish is still soft. I'm guessing they mean what they say about 72 hours @ 70 degrees. I don't keep my shop heated when I'm not in there, it's around 50 degrees usually.

Has anyone used other finishing options that don't require a plug to be on the turner for 24 hours? I know it looks great when it's done but this stuff is a real P.I.T.A! How does Afterhours do a big run of plugs w/this stuff? (It LOOKS like etex on the AH needle I'm holding!)....

I know it tends to yellow, but anyone ever try spar varnish? Any other product recommendations?

Any trade secrets would be appreciated Salty, Tattoo or JHabs if you're reading this! Thanks , Ake.
Ake G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
spence

Are you sure you used the proper ratio and mixed it well?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

Not mixed right for sure. Mix another batch and be sure to have an exact 50/50 ratio and recoat

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
ScottC

Is this a clear coat? I am wondering if anyone is useing west system to seal and protect their plugs? You can get a type that is made for clear finishing and it is rock hard. I am totally new to plugs but have been thinking about making some.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I know as soon as I started keeping the temp. above 72 that most of my problems vanished. 50 is too cold IMO.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC
Is this a clear coat? I am wondering if anyone is useing west system to seal and protect their plugs? You can get a type that is made for clear finishing and it is rock hard. I am totally new to plugs but have been thinking about making some.
Too thick to seal, if you really want to use epoxy as a sealer, use the MAS low viscosity and vaccum bag em.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid
Too thick to seal, if you really want to use epoxy as a sealer, use the MAS low viscosity and vaccum bag em.

OR mix epoxy then cut 50/50 with denatured alcohol. Dip, then let cure. Awsome sealer. Heck I even use it as a top coat...

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Ake G

Yes, I followed the directions exactly Re: ratio and mixing time.

If the ETex is still tacky, can plug be re-coated w/o trashing the finish? JFig,are you saying that ETex can be thinned-out and used this way as a top coat?

Likwid, What is MAS?
Ake G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #9
ScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid
You do know you can thin west system right?. I have used mas on boats and it wasn't anywhere near as strong as West system, we ended up trashing the whole console we where building. But I think is was due to the "professional" not mixing it properly becaseu I heard form others it is pretty good.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #10
ScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo
OR mix epoxy then cut 50/50 with denatured alcohol. Dip, then let cure. Awsome sealer. Heck I even use it as a top coat...

Yup, this is what I have done plenty of times, and it works great as a top coat, shines forever
Old 04-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC
Yup, this is what I have done plenty of times, and it works great as a top coat, shines forever
Yup, it works GREAT as a sealer and as I top coat. Probably not quite as durable top coat as full strength epoxy... but tough enough. After sealing with it i am never going back to oil based sealers.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #12
ScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo
Yup, it works GREAT as a sealer and as I top coat. Probably not quite as durable top coat as full strength epoxy... but tough enough. After sealing with it i am never going back to oil based sealers.

Oil base sealers don;t last. With the west epoxy you do it once and it is done for good.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
bigrock
Got Sashimi?

Measurments have to be exact with E-tex, use Flex Coat syringes to get exact measures and make sure to mix thoroughly for the full 2min like they say. Also keep your temp above 70, cure time doubles for every 18 degree drop in temp! Dont try to weigh the parts either, the hardener is more dense than the resin and will give you a mix that is about 30% off.
bigrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrock
Measurments have to be exact with E-tex, use Flex Coat syringes to get exact measures and make sure to mix thoroughly for the full 2min like they say. Also keep your temp above 70, cure time doubles for every 18 degree drop in temp! Dont try to weigh the parts either, the hardener is more dense than the resin and will give you a mix that is about 30% off.
Time your mix to your watch. You will be surprised how little you mixed it when you time it.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
bigrock
Got Sashimi?

It may sound a little excessive, but I have a kitchen timer I use, knight is right on the money!!
bigrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
gldnbear93

If you don't want to or can't heat your whole shop, try getting a heat lamp and reflector from a hardware store and place it in front of your curing station. Those things work really well in heating a small space, but don't put it too close to the plug as it will burn the epoxy (I found out the hard way). This does cut down on the cure time, though I have cured several batches in a 50 degree basement (it just takes longer).

It does sound like yours was a bad mix or out of proportion. One of the sponsors here sells graduated mixing cups. Easy to use and disposable and not much$. Another alternative is to use 30 minute epoxy in the dual syringe container. It distributes even amounts of resin and hardener so you don't have to worry about proportions, and it cures faster.

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
fishing bum wannabe

If you don't mix Envirotex Lite correctly it will never harden. I turned some nice Mackeral painted Polaris style poppers and envirotexed them 3 years ago and they still are soft! If you top coat the unhardened finish you are just putting a hard top coat over a soft finish and the base coat still will not harden and the finish will not be durable. Sometimes the hardened topcoat will peel off. I have experienced that as well. In spite of these issues I continued with Envirotex figuring the issue was technique. It ws inexpensive and readily available. And other plugmakers were having great success with it.

I have been using graduated mixing cups for a long time and was still mixing wrong proportions untill I measured the two parts in separate mixing cups side by side.This way you can be sure that you have exactly the same amount of resin and hardener. Mix them together and stir for 2 minutes. It can be cold and the Envirotex will still eventually harden (my shop gets down in the 40s but the finish hardened after 36 hours). Exact proportion is very critical with Envirotex (and other finishes such as Flexcoat as well). All finishes need careful mixing. If you are exact in your proportions and mix thoroughly you should find all your Envirotex curing issues resolved. I did. It's been almost 2 years since I've mixed a batch that didn't cure completely.

Last edited by fishing bum wannabe; 04-27-2006 at 08:15 PM..

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 AM   #18
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Does anyone know the conversion ratio used to mix Envirotex lite by weight?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
Does anyone know the conversion ratio used to mix Envirotex lite by weight?
Nope but if you have the capability to weigh it, just weigh the full bottles and you should be able to figure it. The container weight might skew it a little.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote