Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-03-2021, 04:15 AM   #1
Jim in CT

well i’ll get the election thread started

Stunning. It was stunning.

I’d have bet that the democrats were going to win in VA, and NO ONE was even talking about NJ.

The 2020 Gallup poll was clear. America hated Trumps personality, but they liked his policies. They really liked his policies.

NJ and VA, two blue states, each swung more than ten points to the right, after 10 months of democrats running DC. Who knows what that means in purple states.

I’d like to buy a beer for whoever it was on McAuluffes campaign, who thought the best speaker they could get the night before an election that had clearly turned on the heels of parents upset at schools,,was the despised president of the largest national teachers union. That was really, really smart. Spit in the faces of those PTA moms one last time right before they go to the polls.

The NJ results must have the DNC checking themselves into rehab. Biden won NJ by 16 points, one year ago.

If the democrats pass the infrastructure bill and some
kind of social welfare spending bill, they’ll have accomplishments they can point to in 2022. That is now crucial. Manchin and Sinema can name their price, whatever they want in exchange for their votes, they’re going to get.

What a disaster.

Watching MSNBC was beyond fun last night. the hosts went through the 7 stages of grief in an endless loop.

“parents shouldn’t get to tell teachers what their kids are taught.”

Teachers work for parents. That’s who pays them. It’s pretty simple. Just because these public servants give huge money to democrats, doesn’t mean you turn the boss/employee relationship upside down.

As i said, it was as if they were trying to lose.

Will democrats tell their progressive wing to shut up? or will they hit the gas harder and accelerate towards the progressive cliff? they’re not going to win anything with a platform of demonizing Trump and calling everyone racist who doesn’t agree with them.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-03-2021 at 04:22 AM..
Old 11-03-2021, 05:32 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Biden becomes the eighth consecutive new president to see the opposition party win the VA governorship in his first year

(following Carter, Reagan, GHWBush, Clinton, GWBush, Obama, Trump)

I’m sure that Youngkin will follow through with his #1 campaign promise to sign an executive order to ban CRT in VA schools.

I wonder how many voters will be surprised when it changes absolutely nothing, since it isn’t being taught in a single school.

Meanwhile stocks reach a new all-time high as the Nasdaq, Dow, and S&P 500 hit records — proving that Trump's claim Biden would "crash the stock market" was yet another lie.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-03-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
scottw

^^^^^easily triggered
Old 11-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
wdmso

Congratulations to the winners VA proves it the candidate not their policies they get them elected . I disagree with Jim suggest it’s their policy’s or Trump would have be re elected . We have see the same play out in Mass we have had several Republicans Governor’s to include out current one..

Now let’s see if youngkin pivots to a Trumplican or remains a classic Republican?

But the American electorate are dumb just saying . Not by whom they vote for .. but the manner in the way they vote . The will kick and scream to get a Democratic or Republican elected to the White House then before the ink even dries they vote out all the support the POTUS they just elected needs to get things done ? It makes no sense
Old 11-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
^^^^^easily triggered
he’s having a rough couple of days.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Congratulations to the winners VA proves it the candidate not their policies they get them elected . I disagree with Jim suggest it’s their policy’s or Trump would have be re elected . We have see the same play out in Mass we have had several Republicans Governor’s to include out current one..

Now let’s see if youngkin pivots to a Trumplican or remains a classic Republican?

But the American electorate are dumb just saying . Not by whom they vote for .. but the manner in the way they vote . The will kick and scream to get a Democratic or Republican elected to the White House then before the ink even dries they vote out all the support the POTUS they just elected needs to get things done ? It makes no sense
why did the gallup poll
in 2020 show a record number of americans identified as better off after 4 years of trump? if that does t mean america liked his policies, what does it mean?

60% of voters in VA said the country is going in the wrong direction.

america liked trumps policies. they hated him personally, plus covid, plus the racial unrest.

my hope is that the DNC agrees with you, that nothing that happened yesterday is any indicator of america’s opinion on progressive liberalism. my hope is democrats keep advocating for open borders, late term abortions ( perhaps until
the baby’s first birthday?), payouts to illegals that are larger than what we give to families of servicemen killed in action, defunding the police, green new deals, no such thing as biological sex, denying inflation, telling americans not to complain about gas prices or supply delays. Stick with that. most of all, never stop complaining about trump. never.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:

maybe they are smarter than you think or give them credit for....
Old 11-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:

also, biden had a year to do whatever he wanted, his party runs the whole show. and he was able to do very little. there’s a civil war playing out among the democrats, and it’s just starting. they’re pretty dysfunctional. the whole country wants an infastructure deal, the progressives blocked it.

how would
you differentiate a trumplican from a classic republican? if you mean by policy, that debate is over, trump
moved the party a little, and i don’t think they’re going back to endless wars and not doing anything.

trump showed the gop what america wants in terms of policy. The gallup poll confirms that. last night confirms that. america is fickle, that could change in an instant. but a republican who advocates for trumps policies without the ethical baggage, is going to be very very formidable.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
wdmso

how would
you differentiate a trumplican from a classic republican?

If you don’t know the answer to this you’re clearly not paying attention..
Old 11-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #10
PaulS

VA was bad for the Ds. I think NJ has had more Rs govs. than Ds recently?
Old 11-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
how would

i don’t know your answer. it was an innocent question. sorry.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

For those who apparently have no idea of time, today is the 287th day of the Biden Presidency.

One would hope that these election results would cause the Dems to act more as a Party than usual.

The infrastructure bill will pass eventually. The last guy, who claimed he knew more about it than anyone, didn't do it in 4 years.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
For those who apparently have no idea of time, today is the 287th day of the Biden Presidency.

One would hope that these election results would cause the Dems to act more as a Party than usual.

The infrastructure bill will pass eventually. The last guy, who claimed he knew more about it than anyone, didn't do it in 4 years.
terrible night for brandon....

didn't pete point out that the democrats that voted for brandon and his agenda now regret their vote and the rest who voted against trump are still happy they did...which means brandon has very little support.....

he's in BIG trouble...this is fun...
Old 11-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
how would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I'm sure he has a very interesting definition/characterization for each of those
Old 11-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #15
Jim in CT

as to CRT. my kids’ middle school
doesn’t have a course called CRT. if i look at his report card, i see grades for science, math, english, nothing for CRT. If i go to parent/teacher conferences, there’s isn’t a formal CRTteacher i can meet with. there’s no textbook called “CRT”.

but it’s taught. my son has had to write papers on what his responsibility is to fix racial injustice. so am i lying when i say CRT is taught?

the parents aren’t making this up. you guys just can’t concede that there could ever be a valid reason to bash the left.

keep telling parents they’re lying about CRT. that strategy didn’t work well in VA, and there’s a great chance it will work less well in NC and OH.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
Here is the best description of a Trumplican

Regular republicans have a few guiding principles like small government = good and respect for the institutions of the nation.

A Trumplican is perfectly willing to abandon any of these principles if Trump does.

Think about republicans dating all the way back to Richard Nixon. Would any of them downplay or shrug off a violent insurrection against the state? Would any of them dare challenge our democratic process?

No !

but a Trumplican They would say No problem party 1st Country maybe 2nd and that’s a maybe
Old 11-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Quote:
how would

I'm sure he has a very interesting definition/characterization for each of those
i’m certain he does, which is precisely why i asked.

if the GOP is smart, they won’t go back to the Liz Cheney / RINO mold. Trump showed a better agenda. we just need to do it without acting like a horrible spoiled brat.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
so am i lying when i say CRT is taught?
No, just uninformed.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Here is the best description of a Trumplican

Regular republicans have a few guiding principles like small government = good and respect for the institutions of the nation.

A Trumplican is perfectly willing to abandon any of these principles if Trump does.

Think about republicans dating all the way back to Richard Nixon. Would any of them downplay or shrug off a violent insurrection against the state? Would any of them dare challenge our democratic process?

No !

but a Trumplican They would say No problem party 1st Country maybe 2nd and that’s a maybe
so if i condemn what happened in january 6th ( and i similarly condemn the BLM riots), but i like the legislative policies that trump helped usher in, what does that make me? i like trumps legislative accomplishments more than i’d like what any “classical” republican would have done. but i hate what happened in january 6th.

as to challenging our democratic process,,not sure if you responded to my post yesterday. but when bush beat gore, democrats sued. when trump beat hilary, many in the left were urging electors not to vote for trump. so where do you get off saying that no one has ever tried to undermine the will of the people?
Old 11-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
No, just uninformed.
so when my son is told that his
skin color ( and that alone) bestows upon him the responsibility to right a historical wrong. and i say that’s CRT, how am I misinformed?

was wondering when you ( he who said the polls show that biden “is actually doing well) would chime in. since you’re so much better informed than i am, what’s your takeaway from last night? that the democrats in DC aren’t liberal
enough?

Spence, you can call that race-baiting horsesh*t whatever you want. A sample of america just made their voice heard on what they think about cramming it down their kids throats, and what they think about being told that they’re lying.

i hope your side responds by continuing to insult them. keep telling parents that objecting to this, means they are liars, and naturally, racists too. That’ll work great in NC and FL.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-03-2021 at 08:16 AM..
Old 11-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
scottw

whenever it's not going well for the left they blame those that they disagree with or those who oppose their nuttiness with as stupid and uninformed....we are going to see a lot of that
Old 11-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
so if i condemn what happened in january 6th ( and i similarly condemn the BLM riots), but i like the legislative policies that trump helped usher in, what does that make me? i like trumps legislative accomplishments more than i’d like what any “classical” republican would have done. but i hate what happened in january 6th.

as to challenging our democratic process,,not sure if you responded to my post yesterday. but when bush beat gore, democrats sued. when trump beat hilary, many in the left were urging electors not to vote for trump. so where do you get off saying that no one has ever tried to undermine the will of the people?
More of the same I see Jim everything’s the same. Is no argument it’s a dodge

if the GOP is smart, they won’t go back to the Liz Cheney / RINO mold.

so where do you get off saying that no one has ever tried to undermine the will of the people?

you are a Trumplican the above proves it.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
More of the same I see Jim everything’s the same. Is no argument it’s a dodge

if the GOP is smart, they won’t go back to the Liz Cheney / RINO mold.

so where do you get off saying that no one has ever tried to undermine the will of the people?

you are a Trumplican the above proves it.
you say a Trumplican is someone who defends January 6th.

I said i hate what happened on January 6th. I hate what the rioters did.

Then you say that proves I’m a Trumplican.

It’s flawless logic you got there. .

For the second time, i’m not saying january 6 was the same as BLM riots. I’m saying they were different, in that the BLM riots were much worse. They resulted in more deaths and way more damage, absolutely no comparison. none.

and again you ignored the fact that when trump won, liberals tried to undermine the democratic process by urging electors not to cast their votes for trump. you won’t comment when democrats work to undermine feee elections, you only care when republicans do it.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #24
wdmso

Quote:
so when my son is told that his
skin color ( and that alone) bestows upon him the responsibility to right a historical wrong. and i say that’s CRT, how am I misinformed?

was wondering when you ( he who said the polls show that biden “is actually doing well) would chime in. since you’re so much better informed than i am, what’s your takeaway from last night? that the democrats in DC aren’t liberal
enough?

Spence, you can call that race-baiting horsesh*t whatever you want. A sample of america just made their voice heard on what they think about cramming it down their kids throats, and what they think about being told that they’re lying.

i hope your side responds by continuing to insult them. keep telling parents that objecting to this, means they are liars, and naturally, racists too. That’ll work great in NC and FL.

Don’t your kids got to Catholic school?

CRT is mythical Jim

And not even VA teaches it.. but that won’t stop Youngkin from doing a executive order or some law to prevent something that has never happen or going to happen

That’s not leadership or policy.

But in reality it’s just another Stunt
Old 11-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:

if you are a trumplican despite your repeated and constant condemnations of many things trump.....

what must spence be with his constant and unwavering defense of all things obama/clinton/biden/kerry etc...etc...?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Of course bias doesn't exist, we are all color blind and society should take no responsibility at all.

The Dems made a mistake when CRT was adopted as an issue by Trumplicans, of not saying Society does not bear ALL responsibility for the current status of black americans but we do need to help our fellow americans help themselves and to do that we need to look at history honestly, not hiding the bad parts.

One of the often cited black economists, Glen Loury wrote:
What we call “race” is mainly a social, and only indirectly a biological, phenomenon. The persistence across generations of racial differentiation between large groups of people, in an open society where individuals live in proximity to one another, provides irrefutable indirect evidence of a profound separation between the racially defined networks of social affiliation within that society. There would be no races in the steady state of any dynamic social system unless, on a daily basis and with regard to their most intimate affairs, people paid assiduous attention to the boundaries separating themselves from racially distinct others. Over time, race would cease to exist unless people chose to act in a manner so as biologically to reproduce the variety of phenotypic expression that constitutes the substance of racial distinction.

How should we think about the persistence of racial inequality in America? To deny the relevance of behavioral patterns among some black families and communities is folly. To wash one’s hands of their problems because of such cultural and behavioral impediments is profoundly unjust. There are no easy answers, but I suggest that the view here is worth considering as a way to account for, and then respond to, an enduring dilemma that confronts and frustrates us still.

Take the poor central-city dwellers who make up perhaps a quarter of the African-American population. The dysfunctional behavior of many in this population does account for much of their failure to progress—and conservatives’ demand for greater personal responsibility is necessary and proper. Yet, confronted with the despair, violence, and self-destructive behavior of so many people, it seems morally superficial in the extreme to argue, as many conservatives do, that “those people should just get their acts together; if they did, like many of the poor immigrants, we would not have such a horrific problem in our cities.” To the contrary, any morally astute response to the social pathology of American history’s losers would have to conclude that, while we cannot change our ignoble past, we must not be indifferent to contemporary suffering issuing directly from that past. Their culture may be implicated in their difficulties, but so is our culture complicit in their troubles; we bear collective responsibility for the form and texture of our social relations.

While we cannot ignore the behavioral problems of the so-called black underclass, we should discuss and react to those problems as if we were talking about our own children, neighbors, and friends. It will require adjusting ways of thinking on both sides of the racial divide. Achieving a well-ordered society, where all members are embraced as being among us, should be the goal. Our failure to do so is an American tragedy. It is a national, not merely a communal, disgrace. Changing the definition of the American “we” is a first step toward rectifying the relational discrimination that afflicts our society, and it is the best path forward in reducing racial inequality.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Liz Cheney / RINO mold.
Just what is that?

How did Liz Cheney, probably the most disciplined conservative in the Republican party become a RINO in your non-Trumplican eyes?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Of course bias doesn't exist, we are all color blind and society should take no responsibility at all.

The Dems made a mistake when CRT was adopted as an issue by Trumplicans, of not saying Society does not bear ALL responsibility for the current status of black americans but we do need to help our fellow americans help themselves and to do that we need to look at history honestly, not hiding the bad parts.

One of the often cited black economists, Glen Loury wrote:
What we call “race” is mainly a social, and only indirectly a biological, phenomenon. The persistence across generations of racial differentiation between large groups of people, in an open society where individuals live in proximity to one another, provides irrefutable indirect evidence of a profound separation between the racially defined networks of social affiliation within that society. There would be no races in the steady state of any dynamic social system unless, on a daily basis and with regard to their most intimate affairs, people paid assiduous attention to the boundaries separating themselves from racially distinct others. Over time, race would cease to exist unless people chose to act in a manner so as biologically to reproduce the variety of phenotypic expression that constitutes the substance of racial distinction.

How should we think about the persistence of racial inequality in America? To deny the relevance of behavioral patterns among some black families and communities is folly. To wash one’s hands of their problems because of such cultural and behavioral impediments is profoundly unjust. There are no easy answers, but I suggest that the view here is worth considering as a way to account for, and then respond to, an enduring dilemma that confronts and frustrates us still.

Take the poor central-city dwellers who make up perhaps a quarter of the African-American population. The dysfunctional behavior of many in this population does account for much of their failure to progress—and conservatives’ demand for greater personal responsibility is necessary and proper. Yet, confronted with the despair, violence, and self-destructive behavior of so many people, it seems morally superficial in the extreme to argue, as many conservatives do, that “those people should just get their acts together; if they did, like many of the poor immigrants, we would not have such a horrific problem in our cities.” To the contrary, any morally astute response to the social pathology of American history’s losers would have to conclude that, while we cannot change our ignoble past, we must not be indifferent to contemporary suffering issuing directly from that past. Their culture may be implicated in their difficulties, but so is our culture complicit in their troubles; we bear collective responsibility for the form and texture of our social relations.

While we cannot ignore the behavioral problems of the so-called black underclass, we should discuss and react to those problems as if we were talking about our own children, neighbors, and friends. It will require adjusting ways of thinking on both sides of the racial divide. Achieving a well-ordered society, where all members are embraced as being among us, should be the goal. Our failure to do so is an American tragedy. It is a national, not merely a communal, disgrace. Changing the definition of the American “we” is a first step toward rectifying the relational discrimination that afflicts our society, and it is the best path forward in reducing racial inequality.
“of course bias doesn’t exist.”

you’re really hearing those voices again, brother. because no one came close to saying that.

bias exists. not all white people are to blame.

is that going too fast for you?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:17 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:

said nobody ever.......
Old 11-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #30
wdmso

Quote:

For the second time, i’m not saying january 6 was the same as BLM riots. I’m saying they were different, in that the BLM riots were much worse. They resulted in more deaths and way more damage, absolutely no comparison. none.

and again you ignored the fact that when trump won, liberals tried to undermine the democratic process by urging electors not to cast their votes for trump. you won’t comment when democrats work to undermine feee elections, you only care when republicans do it.

No Jim you are a Trumplican because at every Turn you attempt explain away any responsibility the GOP has in the Jan 6th events and it’s aftermath , while saying you condemn it.

time after time trying to compare events , some decades ago and some recent. that absolutely in no way shape or form resembles what happened, it’s called Denial