Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Rockfish9

Bugged out..

With the shortening of days ( not enough daylight to run pots after work) and the looming hurricane and non stop N/E winds, I hauled my pots Monday, Saturday I worked hard to realign them as some of them were sanded in badly from the onshore winds and others moved around( mostly by fisherman using them to anchor as they fish)..after reviewing the long range I decided to pull the pots for the season... even with a S/E wind quartering the mouth of the river it was standing white on the outgoing yesterday, but by staying hard to the jetty I was able to avoid most of the ugly stuff, I did have one ( about a 6'er) roll up and put a little water on deck on the way out just as I made my turn around the north jetty heading sea ward.. I had 8 keeper bugs on Saturday and added 8 more yesterday, it was a good season I got 268 total, with 96 of them being keepers.. this year I ran pig hide bait ( for the first time) in conjunction with fresh pogies and mackerel, I found the pig hide survived the sand fleas a lot better than the fish bait does.. I normally check every 2 days during the summer.. I also moved on from 3 and 4' pots to 30" pots ( 6 of my 10 old pots got stolen from the marina as I was staging them this past spring) I find the 30" pot a lot better for small boat fishing , I can stack all 10 in my 18' center console.. best part, they fish pretty darn good as well.. I also added that Scotty pot hauler, it is a nice addition and is even capable of hauling your pot when some one lays a trawl down over your set ( it happened a few times this year, id recommend it to anyone wanting an removable light weight hauler)..time to concentrate of the fall run for bass, as a side note, mid week all the pogies that have been out front all summer vanished.. but mackerel have returned with a vengeance.. the fall run is on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190902_053359_resized.jpg (54.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190816_092936_resized.jpg (105.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190813_171701_resized_1.jpg (73.9 KB, 35 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Rockfish9

a few more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190902_080002_resized - Copy.jpg (143.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20190813_171624_resized_1.jpg (77.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20190902_160457_resized.jpg (78.5 KB, 34 views)

Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Rockfish9

I gave away quite a few, but most of them got processed, by removing all meat, claw meat and body meat used for stuffing and lobster rolls ( some was vacuum sealed and frozen) .. tail meat that wasn't consumed immediately was vacuum sealed and frozen... yesterday we had lobster rolls on fresh lettuce from the garden, corn from the garden and tomato salad also from the garden... finished off with an ice cold glass of white wine..life is good!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Sea Dangles

If there is ANYTHING as tasty as a well prepared lobster roll....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
If there is ANYTHING as tasty as a well prepared lobster roll....
NOPE.. take that back...2 of them!

Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Awesome Joe! Sure is nice up there

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Guppy
User

I do all that Joe, but couldn’t hold a candle to you... LOL

That’s not a boat, it’s a battle wagon...

Good read

Checked my pots today, eggers,,, should have pulled them in, hope they’re still there after this blow... :-(
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I do all that Joe, but couldn’t hold a candle to you... LOL

That’s not a boat, it’s a battle wagon...

Good read

Checked my pots today, eggers,,, should have pulled them in, hope they’re still there after this blow... :-(
I hope for your sake they are still there too...mine were in 20' of water facing the open beach, they would never make it.. there will be hundreds of them up on the beach and in the shallows between Salisbury and Ipswich in a giant tangled mess, I wanted no part of that.

a lot of berried females this year, I got a lot of little runts as well, not much bigger than a crayfish clinging to the bait bags..