Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
wdmso

Fox tell Trump to arm Teachers

fox new the day of the shooting was all about arming teacher and as if on cue Trump endorses guns for teachers to stop shootings and parroting the NRA taking points on Gun Free Zones

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43149694

Then says he didn't say it

“I never said ‘give teachers guns’ like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC,” he posted on Twitter Thursday. “What I said was to look at the possibility of giving ‘concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience – only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions.”

Here we go again Trump says something clearly ... now we are going to be told what he ment.

got to love his cheat sheet clearly written for him not by him
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gettyimages-922475254.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	64982  

Last edited by wdmso; 02-22-2018 at 09:08 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

I think it's great that this gets your panties bunched up.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
wdmso

Just pointing out the daily inept Leadership in the White House .. to those who accept it ..
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Just pointing out the daily inept Leadership in the White House .. to those who accept it ..
So what is your version of how Trump would be competent? Should he have said the NRA knows nothing, should not be listened to. That the Second Amendment should be repealed. That he would immediately make an executive order to ban AR15 type weapons and to implement everything wanted by Nancy Pelosi and the parents whose kids were killed. And that he would consult wdmso before he said or did anything again in order to be sure he would not be inept?

Not that it matters, but how do you know that he didn't write his cheat sheet?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
a/k/a "It is OK as long as agree with my bias - if not then you are evil"

Short version, we do need school security, and a few armed teachers would not hurt, primarily those with mil/LEO experience and able to maintain significant proficiency. Some armed teachers would also help with refining issues and best practices as they will know far more about classroom teaching then the security personnel. Prominent positions on steering committees.

But armed teachers should be well down the list in the combination of solutions that are applied to address this issue.

First should be a stand up of local LEO to buy time for more formal investigations to occur, depending on what has been studied over the last few years as there may be more refined and agreeable efforts in discussion / implementation than we know about.

So we can continue to argue things are not gonna happen:repealing the 2A is NOT gonna happen nor is relying on teachers to be the armed security at school.

Or we can start looking at solutions:
Actual security for schools (those of us that lived overseas or in cities are more used to this).
Discuss improving the background system to prevent some with mental health issues from access to firearms.

We all need to get more knowledgeable on the issues and facts as their is a lot of disinformation going around.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
In the 1950s, southern racists were threatening black students trying to attend newly de-segregated schools. Eisenhower sent the military down there to protect the students. It worked. This is the world we live in now. We can pretend it's not the case, but all that does is ensure more tiny caskets get used.

Read Trump's actual statement about teachers. He didn't say that all teachers should be given guns. He said look into the possibility of taking a small number of teachers, and training them to safely have guns at school. He didn't say to give a bazooka to everyone who works at the school, OK?

We have airline pilots who are trained to have firearms in the cockpits. My next door neighbor flies for Delta, he is always armed in the cockpit.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Also, like Trump or not (and I don't), it was politically VERY gutsy for him to do what he did yesterday. Invite victim's families into a meeting with him, live and unfiltered, on TV? Gutsy. And hopefully productive.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
fox new the day of the shooting was all about arming teacher and as if on cue Trump endorses guns for teachers to stop shootings and parroting the NRA taking points on Gun Free Zones

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43149694

Then says he didn't say it

“I never said ‘give teachers guns’ like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC,” he posted on Twitter Thursday. “What I said was to look at the possibility of giving ‘concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience – only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions.”

Here we go again Trump says something clearly ... now we are going to be told what he ment.

got to love his cheat sheet clearly written for him not by him
Its actually that you hear what you want to hear.

This is what Trump actually said, which kind of echos what he said he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c7af90f414fb

"Your concept and your idea about — it’s called concealed carry — and it only works where you have people very adept at using firearms, of which you have many, and it would be teachers and coaches. If the coach had a firearm in his locker when he ran at this guy — that coach was very brave. Saved a lot of lives, I suspect. But if he had a firearm, he wouldn’t have had to run; he would have shot and that would have been the end of it.

And this would only be, obviously, for people that are very adept at handling a gun. And it would be — it’s called concealed carry, where a teacher would have a concealed gun on them. They’d go for special training. And they would be there, and you would no longer have a gun-free zone. A gun-free zone to a maniac — because they’re all cowards — a gun-free zone is, let’s go in and let’s attack, because bullets aren’t coming back at us.

And if you do this — and a lot of people are talking about it, and it’s certainly a point that we’ll discuss — but concealed carry for teachers and for people of talent — of that type of talent. So let’s say you had 20 percent of your teaching force, because that’s pretty much the number — and you said it — an attack has lasted, on average, about three minutes. It takes five to eight minutes for responders, for the police, to come in. So the attack is over. If you had a teacher with — who was adept at firearms, they could very well end the attack very quickly."

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

If the weapon that the school shooter had was not semiautomatic I would surmise that the coach would have stopped him
Yesterday Rubio said maybe we should eliminate semis
I was quite surprised
The only time so far that a gun was fired by a pilot was by accident
Think about the flip side of arming teachers
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
If the weapon that the school shooter had was not semiautomatic I would surmise that the coach would have stopped him
Yesterday Rubio said maybe we should eliminate semis
I was quite surprised
The only time so far that a gun was fired by a pilot was by accident
Think about the flip side of arming teachers
"If the weapon that the school shooter had was not semiautomatic I would surmise that the coach would have stopped him "

Major Hasan used a pistol, and he killed 13 trained soldiers, and shot more than 30 others, before being stopped. I agree that a pistols are less deadly than rifles with high capacity magazines, but this is one small piece of the puzzle.

"The only time so far that a gun was fired by a pilot was by accident "

Not sure what your point is. In my town, I'm not sure a cop has fired a weapon on duty in 20 years. Does that mean they don't need guns?

"Think about the flip side of arming teachers"

I am thinking about it. The flip side might be a price we are willing to pay.

How about a national guardsman at every single school, every single day, just inside the front door, armed to the teeth. As I have said, I don't like the sight of that. But I like it more than the sight of tiny caskets being covered with dirt.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Its actually that you hear what you want to hear.

This is what Trump actually said, which kind of echos what he said he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c7af90f414fb

"Your concept and your idea about — it’s called concealed carry — and it only works where you have people very adept at using firearms, of which you have many, and it would be teachers and coaches. If the coach had a firearm in his locker when he ran at this guy — that coach was very brave. Saved a lot of lives, I suspect. But if he had a firearm, he wouldn’t have had to run; he would have shot and that would have been the end of it.

And this would only be, obviously, for people that are very adept at handling a gun. And it would be — it’s called concealed carry, where a teacher would have a concealed gun on them. They’d go for special training. And they would be there, and you would no longer have a gun-free zone. A gun-free zone to a maniac — because they’re all cowards — a gun-free zone is, let’s go in and let’s attack, because bullets aren’t coming back at us.

And if you do this — and a lot of people are talking about it, and it’s certainly a point that we’ll discuss — but concealed carry for teachers and for people of talent — of that type of talent. So let’s say you had 20 percent of your teaching force, because that’s pretty much the number — and you said it — an attack has lasted, on average, about three minutes. It takes five to eight minutes for responders, for the police, to come in. So the attack is over. If you had a teacher with — who was adept at firearms, they could very well end the attack very quickly."
Thank you. It's being reported that he said that everyone at the school should get a howitzer if they want one. That's not even close to what he said. This is the state of the "news" today.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
How about a national guardsman at every single school, every single day, just inside the front door, armed to the teeth. As I have said, I don't like the sight of that. But I like it more than the sight of tiny caskets being covered with dirt.

I would want someone more experienced, retired LEO, Guardsman with multiple years service. But not PFC Schmuckatelli.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I would want someone more experienced, retired LEO, Guardsman with multiple years service. But not PFC Schmuckatelli.
Agreed 100%.

I don't want ANYONE there with a gun. I have 3 kids in elementary school. But in this world, I'm not sure that's a responsible position to take anymore. Obviously experienced, trained people. But if we do that, there's a possibility that person could snap and kill everyone at the school. There are no perfect solutions, we have to find the least repugnant solution.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
wdmso

the real issue is that any gun control suggestions are opposed by the NRA just today their mantra Only Thing That Stops A Bad Guy With A Gun Is A Good Guy by LaPierre and any gun control talks equals confiscation or removal of 2a

the School had security it was secure it had an armed officer.. not sure people have realistic expectations ..

Last week we hated liberal Teachers now we want to arm them ??

this theory of Mutual Assured Destruction being promoted is non sense
Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:

well...not the liberal ones....I suspect they'll probably pitch a fit (I know some that already have upon hearing this) and refuse to work in an environment where there may be guns present...could be a win...win
Old 02-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So what is your version of how Trump would be competent? Should he have said the NRA knows nothing, should not be listened to. That the Second Amendment should be repealed. That he would immediately make an executive order to ban AR15 type weapons and to implement everything wanted by Nancy Pelosi and the parents whose kids were killed. And that he would consult wdmso before he said or did anything again in order to be sure he would not be inept?

His actions or lack of actions since he has been in office have reinforced my observation his administration is inept .. its not based on feelings or Hate of republicans.. but tangible events

Not that it matters, but how do you know that he didn't write his cheat sheet? does that change its intent ?
Trump does what Fox news tells him to do ... and they know it
Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
DZ

Leave it up to the individual teacher. You have to ask yourself what is the one thing that could make a difference and protect your kids in school tomorrow? Any sort of gun ban would take years, background checks will take a while, a licensed to carry teacher given proper permission takes place immediately.

Let the individual teachers decide.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #18
wdmso

David Clarke: Fla. students' gun control push has 'George Soros' fingerprints all over it'
Former Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke Jr. insinuated Wednesday that student survivors of the Parkland, Florida school shooting were being manipulated by Democratic billionaire George Soros to organize for gun control.

This is how the Right deals responsibly with the Gun control conversation
Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, we want to LET those who want to carry be allowed to carry, if they are properly trained. I'm pretty sure, as scottw stated, the liberal ones are not going to want to, so nobody is going to make them. and that's not to say that there aren't liberal teachers that would still be willing to.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
David Clarke: Fla. students' gun control push has 'George Soros' fingerprints all over it'
Former Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke Jr. insinuated Wednesday that student survivors of the Parkland, Florida school shooting were being manipulated by Democratic billionaire George Soros to organize for gun control.

This is how the Right deals responsibly with the Gun control conversation
Florida shooting hero Colton Haab: CNN gave me “scripted question” after denying question about armed guards

“CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted,” Haab told Fort Lauderdale ABC affiliate WPLG-TV.

“I expected to be able to ask my questions and give my opinion on my questions,” he said.

“Colton wrote questions about school safety, suggested using veterans as armed school security guards, but claims CNN wanted him to ask a scripted question instead. So he decided not to go,” WPLG’s Janine Stanwood said.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
wdmso

the right clamors about Freedom but after 911 passed USA/Patriot Act," an overnight revision of the nation's surveillance laws that vastly expanded the government's authority to spy on its own citizens, in the Name of fear

rather than expand back ground checks increase the age of weapon ownership increase the waiting period , maintain a national gun registry.. demand better licence requirements

All the right can come up with is Turn schools into fortress and add more guns

as if mass shooting are only happening in schools
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
Florida shooting hero Colton Haab: CNN gave me “scripted question” after denying question about armed guards

“CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted,” Haab told Fort Lauderdale ABC affiliate WPLG-TV.

“I expected to be able to ask my questions and give my opinion on my questions,” he said.

“Colton wrote questions about school safety, suggested using veterans as armed school security guards, but claims CNN wanted him to ask a scripted question instead. So he decided not to go,” WPLG’s Janine Stanwood said.
what news interviewer including fox allows the person being interviewed to ask their own questions ? and then express his opinion of his own questions?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
what news interviewer including fox allows the person being interviewed to ask their own questions ? and then express his opinion of his own questions?
it wasn't an interview, it was a town hall...you know....open flow of ideas.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
wdmso

another qoute from LaPierre

He defended 2nd Amendment rights and warned of a "socialist agenda" that wanted to strip away firearms from law-abiding citizens.

Base buzz words
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #25
wdmso

Quote:
it wasn't an interview, it was a town hall...you know....open flow of ideas.

I stand corrected

How do we know he wasn't a paid crisis Actor ?? For Fox (sarcasm )

Colton’s father withdrew his name from participation before the forum began,

“There is absolutely no truth to this. CNN did not provide or script questions for anyone in last night’s town hall, nor have we ever,” the company said in a statement ..

I would like to see the questions he was given
Old 02-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #26
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well if CNN said they didn't do it, who am I to question them
Old 02-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #27
wdmso

After seeing all the memes on Face book of Gun supporters post stuff about text messages voter id i thought this was a good one Seeing they love simple arguments for complex issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28058645_2288782991132666_60305746184372708_n.png
Views:	421
Size:	670.7 KB
ID:	64983  
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
After seeing all the memes on Face book of Gun supporters post stuff about text messages voter id i thought this was a good one Seeing they love simple arguments for complex issues
Good one

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
the real issue is that any gun control suggestions are opposed by the NRA just today their mantra Only Thing That Stops A Bad Guy With A Gun Is A Good Guy by LaPierre and any gun control talks equals confiscation or removal of 2a

the School had security it was secure it had an armed officer.. not sure people have realistic expectations ..

this theory of Mutual Assured Destruction being promoted is non sense
"the real issue is that any gun control suggestions are opposed by the NRA"

That's ONE issue, not THE issue.

Other issues are the fact that Democrat politicians (who take money from Hollywood the way that Republicans take money from the NRA) are opposed to curbing the violence we bombard our kids with. Democrats tend to oppose policies that encourage "traditional" family values, which like it or not, will reduce gun violence (maybe not mass shootings, but garden variety street crime).

Nothing gets done because each side is too beholden to special interests.

Gun control is one of a handful of things that are driving this. School safety, mental health protocols, etc...
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump does what Fox news tells him to do ... and they know it
Foxnews told Trump to compromise on DACA and to ban bump stocks? Interesting...