Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
wdmso

Let the pardons begin

Trump Pardons Michael Flynn,
Old 11-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
spence

Well, at least that means Flynn once again is admitting guilt.

I’m waiting for Joe Exotic
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

No shortage of convicts in his circle of trust, they will be texting me next buddy?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

On the lighter side, It would’ve been easier if Trump would have just pardoned Flynn along with the turkey yesterday, for the complete fowl play.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

On the real side from someone who knows how it works

So it appears Trump may attempt to pardon Flynn. This was expected. No surprise here. We need to take a breath and understand that this will not work out for Trump or Flynn. We have already seen what Judge Sullivan has done when Barr attempted to dismiss Flynn’s prosecution The Court said “hold on” and appointed special counsel to investigate it - Judge Gleeson, ret. - and refused to do so. This then went to the DC circuit and ultimately Judge Sullivan’s rulings not to dismiss Flynn’s prosecution was ultimately upheld. I have the same inclination I had before that Judge Sullivan will take a similar stance to appoint special counsel - Gleeson most likely will continue - to review and probably challenged the legality of the pardon. We have also seen the beginnings of this before Judge Amy Berman-Jackson in her acceptance of amicus briefs regarding the legality of Roger Stones’s sentence commutation due to Trump’s entanglement. A lawful power, like POTUS’s right to pardon crimes or commute sentences is enshrined in Article 1 of the construction. It is one of the most expansive powers held by POTUS. Be that as it may, a lawful power exercised for an unlawful purpose is a crime. For example, if a president is bribed to pardon a criminal, the pardon would be unlawful - fruit of an illegal act although POTUS has the power to pardon. The same holds true if POTUS conspires with another to commit a crime. He would be providing cover for his co-conspirators in evading prosecution. Further, by pardoning his co-conspirator, it also acts as a self-pardon since it would extinguish the criminal conspiracy. A pardon also causes the pardoned to plead guilty for all crimes pardoned. It also does away with their 5th amendment rights . That, in turn, would require anyone who accepts a pardon to testify about their role in any crimes pardoned if compelled to do so.
Suffice to say, if Trump issues a pardon to Flynn, it will open up a hornets nest of problems for him and Flynn. Stay strong Patriots.
Andrew C. Laufer, Esq.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Do Dershowitz and Ghislaine get pardons also?
Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Jim in CT

And no other president in history, has issued pardons on his way out. He's ruining our democracy!

Let's not forget about the turkey he pardoned, he must have evil motives for doing so. The pardoned turkey sure looked like a Russian agent to me.

Do you guys ever step back and look at yourselves? Might be a worthwhile exercise, just sayin'.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Baloney
Here’s the first and most important thing to understand about the crime for which President Trump just pardoned former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn: Flynn did not lie to protect himself. He lied to protect Donald Trump.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Why would Tweety do something so ineffectual as putting off signing a bill his administration was involved in drafting?

"What’s left of the respectable precincts of TrumpWorld are hoping that after all the sturm und drang of the long weekend, you’ve already forgotten about last week’s pardons of crooked congressmen, war criminals, and Trump’s own co-conspirators."

If Trump was merely trying to erase the Mueller probe with pardons, he also would’ve pardoned Rick Gates and Michael Cohen, both convicted (both cooperated or testified).

But if Trump was only trying to reward those who refused to testify, he’d leave them out — as he has done.