Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 AM   #1
wdmso

Trump's 'dirty war' on media

A poll released on Tuesday by Quinnipiac University suggested that 51% of Republican voters now believed the media to be "the enemy of the people rather than an important part of democracy"

Was listening some older music when I caught theses lyrics .. which fit Trump and his administration propendency to show alternative facts as if they are actually facts

You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world
Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

A poll released on Tuesday by Quinnipiac University suggested that 51% of Republican voters now believed the media to be "the enemy of the people rather than an important part of democracy"

You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world

August 16, 2018

300+ newspapers publish the same anti-Trump editorial today
Old 08-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
zimmy

The "suggested" part is from the article. This isn't about suggestion. 51% of Republicans polled said "the media is the enemy of the people." No surprise to me. This is a dangerous time in our country.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
The "suggested" part is from the article. This isn't about suggestion. 51% of Republicans polled said "the media is the enemy of the people." No surprise to me. This is a dangerous time in our country.

This is, when any President attempts to squash the Press, a problem.

It was a problem when Obama did it (cough AP, cough) and it has been a problem with near every president since the inception of the country (this is not new).

I do not support Trumps actions on the press, nor do I support the Press's actions WRT balanced and fact based news.

Too bad the Newsies claim themselves the victim - they have almost as much blame to take, almost.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/u...os_unvt25.pdf/

This RDD telephone survey was conducted from August 9 – 13, 2018 throughout the nation.
Responses are reported for 1,175 self-identified registered voters with a margin of
sampling error of +/- 3.4 percentage points, including the design effect. Margins of
sampling error for subgroups are available upon request.
Surveys are conducted in English or Spanish dependent on respondent preference with live
interviewers calling landlines and cell phones.
All data was collected and tabulated by the Quinnipiac University Poll.

PARTY IDENTIFICATION QUESTION WORDING - Generally speaking, do you consider yourself a
Republican, a Democrat, an Independent, or what?

REGISTERED VOTERS
PARTY IDENTIFICATION

Republican 28%
Democrat 32
Independent 32
Other/DK/NA 8

So 167 people claimed it....well I guess that makes it so

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
zimmy

Thanks for explaining how polling works.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for explaining how polling works.
No Problem. Glad I could help you.

I figured some might not have the concept down.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
No Problem. Glad I could help you.

I figured some might not have the concept down.
stop it!...he's already triggered from the other thread
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
stop it!...he's already triggered from the other thread
well, I didn't want him to worry to much about those 167 friggin Nostradamuses predicting End of Days and all.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

It was a problem when Obama did it (cough AP, cough) and it has been a problem with near every president since the inception of the country (this is not new).
Subpoenas related to terrorism vs repeated public statements by the commander in chief that the press is the enemy of the people. Obama Justice department also recognized the importance of the media and clarified the procedure for obtaining information with sensitivity to the press. Tough to draw a parallel.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

In tweets alone Trump has called various parts of the media Fake news 285 times. That doesn't count all the times in his rallies.
The only thing he tweets close to as much about is Fox news 250 times and Russia 247.
Of course we do have to remember how great he is, since he is very capable of announcing it in tweets and if he says it then it is surely true.
"Nobody but Donald Trump will save Israel"
"Nobody knows jobs like I do!"
"Nobody understands politicians like I do"
"Nobody beats me on National Security"
"Nobody would fight harder for free speech than me"
"Nobody can beat me on the economy (and jobs)"
"Nobody will protect our Nation like Donald J. Trump"
"Nobody more against ObamaCare than me"
"Nobody has more respect for women than Donald Trump!"
"No-one has done more for people with disabilities than me"
Illegal immigration "Our Southern border is unsecure. I am the only one that can fix it"
Illegal immigration "Such a big problem for our country-I will solve"
Infrastructure "The only one to fix the infrastructure of our country is me"
Infrastructure "I am the only one that knows how to build cities"
Infrastructure "all falling apart. I can fix for 20% of pols, & better"
ISIS "ISIS is still running around wild. I can fix it fast"
ISIS "5000 ISIS fighters have infiltrated Europe. Also, many in U.S. I TOLD YOU SO! I alone can fix this problem!"
Jobs "I will create jobs like no one else"
Jobs "I am the only presidential candidate who will bring jobs back to the U.S.and protect car industry!"
Jobs "I will bring our jobs back to the U.S., and keep our companies from leaving. Nobody else can do it."
Making America great "I am the only one who can Make America Great Again"
Making America great "If I run, and if I win, our country will be great again."
Moving jobs to Mexico "I am the only one who can fix this. Very sad."
Obamacare "We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me"
Slow GDP "I TOLD YOU SO! Only I can fix"
Social Security "I am going to save Social Security without any cuts. I know where to get the money from. Nobody else does."
Tax laws "I know our complex tax laws better than anyone who has ever run for president and am the only one who can fix them."
Terrorism "At least 67 dead,400 injured. I alone can solve"
Terrorism "TIME FOR A CHANGE, I WILL SOLVE - AND FAST!"
Tough calls "Govt. collapsing in Iraq...Sadly, I called this one and please remember, I alone called it.
Veterans Affairs "I will fix VA quickly."
Why are people upset w/ me over Pres Obama’s birth certificate? I got him to release it, or whatever it was, when nobody else could!"

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The man is absolutey the "King of the Narcisists" no doubt about it.

i just refuse to:

A) let him rent space in my head
B) run around like Chicken Little declaring that the sky is falling after every tweet
C) act like a baby and throw a 4 year tantrum.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 08-16-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Sea Dangles

Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Obama was Pres. for 2 terms to it was 8 years.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fixed it

Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
August 16, 2018

300+ newspapers publish the same anti-Trump editorial today
They wrote their own editorials
Not a canned messag like Sinclair
Here’s the one from my local paper

When President Trump tweets in a late night rage that American journalists are the “enemy of the American people,” that they are “sick and dangerous,” what does he mean, and what is his intent?

Does he truly think journalists are trying to overthrow the government? Does he think that by pointing out the thousands of lies, untruths and misstatements he has made since he has taken office (now averaging over seven per day), that correcting the record undermines American democracy? Does he really think that journalists who report how his administration has tried to gut the provisions enacted under Obamacare are “dangerous” to their fellow countrymen? Does anyone believe that exposing his connections to Russia, and their proven nefarious involvement in the 2016 presidential election, is damaging to American democracy?

No, he’s not that delusional. He knows when journalists expose those truths, his power as president is threatened, and that if he has committed crimes against the country, further investigation and reporting could cause his downfall.

From Trump’s perspective it makes sense to attack American journalists and the press in general. The first rule of any dictator is to discredit outside information and control the message, and to control what the public deems to be “the truth.”

Hence, Trump’s campaign to declare factual news as “fake” and fake news — from “Fox and Friends” and other Trump-friendly outlets — as fact, is true to form.

The idea is not new, even in the United States. American presidents always try to shape the message the media reports to favor their agenda. But Trump has taken that tactic in a dangerous direction. Dangerous to the nation’s democracy because his intent is to undermine the very notion of reliable and trustworthy news from an independent press, and dangerous to journalists themselves because he is inciting his supporters to take out their anger against those journalists.

On the campaign trail he incited supporters to beat up opposing hecklers, to lock up his opponents, to revile the “fake news” reports of journalists reporting the facts and to consider those reporters as “unpatriotic,” as anti-American. He has singled out reporters by name, labeled our nation’s most trusted newspapers — like The New York Times and Washington Post — as particularly bad, and has slandered CNN and its reporters time after time as they have taken the president and his team to task. But Trump takes it another giant step further by equating his opponents (be that Hillary Clinton, fired FBI Director James Comey, special prosecutor Robert Mueller or the press) not just as foes to be defeated, but as evil to be rooted out so he can deliver his political promises, aka, salvation. It’s an appeal that is most effective for those “true believers,” why his support is likened to cult worship, and why that approach is so dangerous to journalists.

While those tactics have not stopped the press from doing its job, they are having an effect on the perceived freedom and democracy we have long cherished.

“The President’s hostility towards the press is trickling down to states and communities, where officials are refusing interviews, denigrating the press, and obstructing access to information,” said Courtney Radsch, advocacy director of the Committee to Protect Journalists, which ranked President Trump as the number one world leader who has most “undermined global press freedoms.”

“It’s staggering to see the extent to which some world leaders are so fearful of their critics and the truth,” Radsch said. “At a time when the number of journalists in prison globally is at a record high, the failure of President Donald Trump and other leaders to stand up for press freedom risks weakening democracy and human rights.”

For perspective, in 2018 the U.S. ranked 45th in the Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index, down from 20th in 2010, and now behind most developed, democratic countries.

In Vermont, we’re fortunate that community and state leaders have not followed Trump’s lead. For the most part, Vermonters have embraced truth and transparency as the forces that strengthen our democracy. Nevertheless, we join newspapers around the country this week — in an effort launched by the Boston Globe — to highlight Trump’s alarming tactic to target journalists as the enemy of the people, just as he targets truth as the enemy to his cause.

At this newspaper, we appreciate the public’s support and dedicate our mission to supporting our communities, state and nation by reporting on the news as factually as possible, and consistently pushing for transparency and openness in government.

Democracy is best strengthened when “the people” have full access to factual information and are free to determine the truth, not when a few leaders in power make it their political goal to convince supporters that lies are facts, untruths are true — and reporters who tell the truth are the evil to defeat.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #17
scottw

please stop and seek help.....
Old 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #18
JohnR

Quote:
Subpoenas related to terrorism vs repeated public statements by the commander in chief that the press is the enemy of the people. Obama Justice department also recognized the importance of the media and clarified the procedure for obtaining information with sensitivity to the press. Tough to draw a parallel.
Well, I guess you are right. All those times O called out Fox News was fair because they are Terrorists ; )

BTW -FOX also makes my point on bias - there is too much bias, not enough truth.

Now where is that Full-Semiautomatic Cake Baker

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
This is, when any President attempts to squash the Press, a problem.

While the AP case had issues I don't think there was any motivation to squash the press, it was just overly aggressive investigation.

Aside from a few quips against FOXNews I don't remember Obama doing anything to undermine a free press.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
While the AP case had issues I don't think there was any motivation to squash the press, it was just overly aggressive investigation.

Aside from a few quips against FOXNews I don't remember Obama doing anything to undermine a free press.
Don’t you know he was just hatin’ on them?

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 08-16-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Fox hated Obama as much as they love Trump
Fox and birtherism
What did Fox say when Obama suggested meeting with Kim Jong-un, that ought to make you wonder?
How come Fox doesn't want Trumps college transcript?
Maybe Fox and Trump have nothing to worry about but they sure don't act that way

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #22
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump’s spends his morning watching news and tweating, probably why we are over 4000 lies or mistruthes at this point, we need all the media in order to possibly fact check the shear volume of crap.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #23
wdmso

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
There is nothing that I would want more for our Country than true FREEDOM OF THE PRESS. The fact is that the Press is FREE to write and say anything it wants, but much of what it says is FAKE NEWS, pushing a political agenda or just plain trying to hurt people. HONESTY WINS!

10:10 AM - Aug 16, 2018

OMG !!!! to funny he said Honesty wins ...
Old 08-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:

BTW -FOX also makes my point on bias - there is too much bias, not enough truth.
the left created FOX just as they created Trump..
Old 08-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #25
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Obama was Pres. for 2 terms to it was 8 years.
Paul, do me a favor and point out one criticism I had on this board during those 8 years. Let's compare. Otherwise please shut the pie hole for the rest of this term.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #26
Nebe

Quote:
Paul, do me a favor and point out one criticism I had on this board during those 8 years. Let's compare. Otherwise please shut the pie hole for the rest of this term.
Your logic implies that obama’s Performance was on an equal trajectory as Trumps. I never complained that much about obama because there wasn’t much to complain about.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
Did I say you? Go back to lurking because you're reading comprehension sucks. Clearly an indictment of our education system.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #28
wdmso

Quote:

:
Seem Trump has you convinced ..

Bias doesn't change truth ...that the lie of the Fake media mantra seems only conservatives think this way

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the...-news/p06dn741
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #29
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Your logic implies that obama’s Performance was on an equal trajectory as Trumps. I never complained that much about obama because there wasn’t much to complain about.
There was plenty to complain about, just like there is with this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Seem Trump has you convinced ..

Bias doesn't change truth ...that the lie of the Fake media mantra seems only conservatives think this way

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the...-news/p06dn741

No Wayne. People that are objective enough to go beyond the superficial level of events understand that there is usually more to the story.

Sometimes Fox is more honest than CNN or MSBNC, sometimes they are not. Their generic reporting is often better than CNNs. Their opinion stuff tends to be CNN level bias but going the other way. If you are unable to see the Spin from both sides than you are unable to be objective. And because you are new here, the News Bias has been a topic here for well over a decade.

I have a challenge for you Wayne. I want you to tell me in your own words, your personal opinion (without links to external sources) how Bias does not change the truth. How can bias be applied but not change the underlying truth?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #30
PaulS

Trump has moved far beyond the war on the media and has now updated his enemy list with our former security personnel who don't agree with him.