Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Lightbulb Ugh. Hunting Trip Cut Short.

A friend of mine (retired cop) takes 2 weeks every to hunt whitetail deer in Ohio with a group of buddies.

This year's trip started a few days ago.

This morning, my friend got up and tried to wake his tent mate.

Friend wouldn't wake up.

He passed in his sleep sometime during the night.

Crazy.

Just crazy.

Life is short.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Wow, that's terrible. Prayers for the deceased and for your friend. I can't even imagine what that would be like...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Damn

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Hookedagain

Unfortunate situation. He died doing what he loved to do.....going to deer camp. Prayers to his family.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That does suck Ben, sorry to hear

enjoy what you have as clammer says, you never know

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

My condolences to friends and family.

While a sudden, unexpected passing is shocking, the finality of death is the same, no matter the road taken. Many here have been experiencing illness and loss of family. My own 89 y.o. mother is in a memory care unit with dementia, yet is physically healthy and takes no meds. Her mother lived to 99, just three days shy of her 100th birthday, yet suffered from dementia as well. So that is half of the stock I come from.
While I am not ready to cash in my chips, I am coming around to believe that a sudden death in my sleep would be much more desirable to months or years of illness, doctors, meds, procedures, nursing homes, financial depletion, and family suffering as they watch the aging process being prolonged.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Fly Rod

I agree 99% with nightfighter except with financial depletion providing U set up a trust well in advance .....U should only lose your monthly medicare and any earned income....and those that do not have a trust if house is in husband and wife's name as long as the spouse that is sick, is coherent and can sign the deed over to the other the house should B protected.....for those of U that own a home U should have the Homestead Act the best insurance U could buy for 35 bucks a one time fee....U get it at the registry of deeds....U R not protected from any city,state, federal or nursing home fees or fines but U R protected from other creditors....

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
FishermanTim

My dad passed back in 2001, and he died from inoperable brain cancer. Before he became completely incapacitated he deeded the house to my mom. He passed at home, surrounded by family and was cared for until his last day.
Because of good insurance and planning the only financial burden was the burial cost, which was his life insurance paid for.

Although you cannot plan for every contingency, you should have something in palace to assist with your final expenses.
I have life insurance, disability insurance and a retirement plan.

Now when it comes to your "end of life", some would prefer to pass quickly and quietly (as in your sleep) while others would like to be surrounded by friends and loved ones. I would only hope that my time comes without a long-term degenerative debilitating illness where my dwindling days are a financial and emotional burden to my family. (I was able to take time off from work to spend time with my dad during his final days, and I thought it was a privilege to be able t care for him after all the years he had cared for me.

A person's passing could be seen as a blessing or a travesty, depending on the condition of the person's passing (the person usually has many loved ones).

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Fly Rod

A friend of mine going deer hunting passed away 2 years ago while walking to his stand, I'm sure it was better then sitting in a chair or bed with someone wiping the drool from ones chin...life can B cruel if a person is sick and bed ridden

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
FishermanTim

The worst part of passing in your sleep is what the person who finds you must go through.

My godfather passed in his sleep and my godmother discovered him in the morning. That really hit her hard.

My cousin passed from liver disease (self-inflicted) in his kitchen, with his wife and son there to see it. It was not a peaceful passing.

We cannot choose how and when we will pass, but if we lived a good life, had good friends and family, and enjoyed life to our fullest then the general feeling will be that "he/she had a good life and was taken too soon"!

How many people talk about deceased friends or relatives positively if that person was a criminal, addict or a POS?
My cousin was a chronic alcoholic who never seriously thought that his drinking was hurting anyone (least himself) until his doctor told him he would need a liver transplant...and he still drank.

Now I'm no saint, but I knew one thing when I was young and stupid, which was that I didn't want anything to control my life but ME.

Hopefully we can all live good lives, be good friends and leave the world a better place when we pass!

Amen.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

My buddy's friend was only 53 (!). I did not personally know him. But man, that hits home. Apparently the deceased had a family history of heart disease.

One of my mom's friends woke up one morning to find her husband stiff and blue in bed. I guess that's not a bad way to go, but that's gotta be rough on the survivors.

Life is short - enjoy it and take care of yourselves!

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpoopoo View Post

One of my mom's friends woke up one morning to find her husband stiff and blue in bed. I guess that's not a bad way to go, but that's gotta be rough on the survivors.

Life is short - enjoy it and take care of yourselves!
Talk about morning wood !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote