Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Letter from NOAA

I'm posting this to sanity check my thinking and to make sure I'm not over-reacting. I received (as I'm sure others have) this letter from NOAA, cautioning about interaction between tuna fishermen and whales.

First, let me say that I'm 100% behind protecting whales. However, I'm also 100% behind reasonable dialog.

Given the often antagonistic politics that exist between NOAA and fishermen, I thought I'd get some second opinions. I've highlighted the three passages that struck me (see attached file) and mentioned one more.

1. First Paragraph: "targeting feeding whales during fishing activities." Now I passed this by a couple of people who are not fishermen and they both thought this meant "trying to catch whales." The use of the terms "targeting," "feeding whales," and "during fishing" clearly connotes this incorrect meaning to the uninitiated. While I don't know to whom this letter (or other communications containing similar language) has been or will be sent, this seems like a gross and purposeful misrepresentation of facts and intent.

2. Second Paragraph: "prohibits vessels from approaching North Atlantic right whales within 500 yards" Given that the tuna season in the North East is generally June to November, and right whales are in the area from January to May, the only significant overlap between right whales and tuna fishermen in the NE and that lies within NOAA's jurisdiction would be the northern Maine maritimes. So why focus on this interaction when the vast majority of fisherman are significantly more likely to encounter humpback whales, minke whales, and some fin whales due the much larger number of those species and the increased number of fisherman? Well, the reason is that right whales are highly endangered and simply make for the stronger "argument."

3. 1st bullet: "If you can't identify the species, do not approach within 500 yards." Okay, I can live with this as an over abundance of caution, but again you might not be able to tell a humpback from a fin at a distance, but if you're on Stellwagen in August, it's NOT a right whale.

4. The greatest risk to whales are large ships and entanglement in fishing gear. However, this letter is addressed to "Charterboat and Recreational Permit Holders." I don't think a whale has much to fear from a spreader bar or the typical troll of Charterboats and Rec's. Of course, it is to be avoided, I'm just saying that the type of tackle that charters and rec's use is of little danger to whales (certainly not mortal danger).

Okay, I've said my peace. I'd love to hear other's opinions as might totally wrong here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (1.08 MB, 7 views)

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Slick Moedee

Got it as well

There has been an increase in whales trailing mono behind them in the past few years and I think this is an effort to make folks a little more aware. Sure the terminolgy doesn't quited fit what we would use but the take home is the same. In speaking with the entanglement folks, even if hooked our gear does not present a huge problem unless it affects feeding. More often than not the hooks pull from the blubber without the whale even noticing it.

All that said, I had a neighbor, who I will refer to as dumb-ass, get busted for doing just what they are referring to, i.e., driving right up on whales and dropping his jiggs. He found it difficult to fight photo evidnce all watch boats had of him.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
sokinwet

I also got the letter; I have a rec permit...my bro has a general permit and didn't. I wonder if they sent notices to the zillion pleasure boaters literally chasing the whales around or to the whale watch boats burning WFO from Boston to the SE corner and then parking right on top of the whales....especially those bubble feeding. "If you can't identify the species, do not approach within 500 yards." 500 fricking yds!! Translation.....we don't want "fishermen" on the bank...it's only for cute whales....and those willing to pay$$$!
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Raven

Cool

Hopefully NOAA sent this letter to the new Japanese priminister .
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokinwet View Post
it's only for cute whales...
Whales are cute, but they have smelly breath.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Fly Rod

NOAA should pay more attention to the commercial whale watch boats, they are suppose to be 100yds. from all whales instead of up their butt watching them feed.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Moses

Myself and quite a few of my friends who have recreational licenses also received this.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
MakoMike

Bluefin tuna and whales often mix together. If you are fishing near whales they will often come close to the boat to investigate. The letter is wrong, if it says you must stay and specific distance from the whales. You cannot approach the whales closer than the specific distances, but you can get closer if the whales come toward you. Same goes for the Whale Watch boats.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote