Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-02-2001, 12:10 AM   #1
East Tide
Slow Droppin' Skins

Birthday stick...

Building a new stick tomorrow. Sabre 1208 cut to 9'4" all in tip. For use with 975. I know i should use at least six but only have 5 guides and i used to build my 10 ft glass lamis with 5 so leave my unorthodox ways alone... Just a quickie. from tip of seat to 1st guide. I have some as low as 23, some as high as 30". What would you do. the rest of the spacing is more on the curve than anything, but the first one I need some help. I wanted the lami 120-1L but it was $153, actually I wanted an Arra but I couldn't get a loan.....

Dave

East Tide
East Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 01:32 AM   #2
Patrick82
Corporal Radar O'Reilly

Send a message via AIM to Patrick82
I'm no pro rod builder but I've been keeping my eyes open to posts on rod building so basically this is second hand information but this seems like the general way that these guys do it.

First, they tape on the guides where they think they belong. Then they do a static deflection test. Just to make sure the line isn't rubbing the blank at all and there are no sharp angles in the line bending.

Then they take it out for some practice casts. Then if they don't like the results, they move the guides in a place where it increases distance but doesn't mess up the static deflection deal.

I don't think you are wrong with the 5 guides. Whatever works for you. If you can make that work, I'm thinking there will be less friction then with 6 guides.

Again, I'm not a great rod builder but I've studied the procedure.

Just out of curiosity, what guides are you putting on there?

Patrick (StripedBassGuy@aol.com)
Patrick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 10:47 AM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Dave---I wouldn't sweat the number of guides too much--I have some old 10-1/2' glass rods with only 4 guides. It's only recently that thinking has changed, years ago, rod builders thought less guides=less guide friction and longer casts. My 11' 1322 Arra has 6 guides, my 10-6' Arra only has 5. Depends on the stiffness and taper of the blank---as an example, my 9-1/2' Fisher, which is a parabolic blank, also has 6. A stiff rod like the Sabre, you can probably use 5 and not even notice a difference.

As far as guide placement goes, I would think a lot depends on the width of the reel spool you'd use. I would go with nothing smaller than a 25 mm first guide for a 975. If you were going to use a Calcutta 400 or a 6500 size Abu, you could go with a 20. Tape a 25 mm on first at various distances from the reel placement and see how the line flows thru it.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 08:14 PM   #4
East Tide
Slow Droppin' Skins

Ahhhh, Mike I forgotted about that method I used to take a month to build a rod. Now I just do it to get it done and use it. Maybe a little warm up of the brain would be good for a change though. Start school on Tues, WARM UP BABY< WARM UP!!!!

Thanks MIke,

Dave

Patrick, the guides are FUJI. the regular ones. I am no tech freak or anything and I rather spend the time fishing than thinking about silicone carbide and #^&#^&#^&#^&e like that. Ya know man?

Last edited by East Tide; 09-02-2001 at 08:17 PM..

East Tide
Old 09-03-2001, 09:21 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

With a 975 - start with a 30MM BNLG and BNLG the rest of it. No need for antything else. As far as guide placement - those sticks can handle the distance on the reel end. Obviously the business end of the stick is where you worry about the deflection... I wouldn't sweat the guide placement tha t much on the bottom of the stick because if you get a 50 in the canal - they're going to deflect if you put 17 guides on...

But for 2 to 5 bucks, run down the street and pick up the right guides if you need them (or just re-wrapp after December when there is more, ahh, time)

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:16 AM   #6
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

cant ya get a 1204 or 1205 fer 145 to 160 clams?
ahh the blank ya gettin is a good one anyhooo.
remeber to load the rod and space ya guides so it dont hit the rod. hay a extra guide is only a few bucks, but i here ya on bein rambunchious.
Mike got rain coat?
will get it out next week end ,if ok with you

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:20 AM   #7
chris L

need more plugs BM ! new victims new board !
got time ?
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:27 AM   #8
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

aaaaaaahhhhhhh plugs, well i made 3 needles and tank tested them, I made them in,black purple and silver with sexy eyes.
they plunk in the water nice and will get that wake action. 1 I have carved sides in but there offset, so im hopin fer a little action on that one, with the ol' twitch thingy dingy.
got plug?

Pro Tool Club....
Old 09-03-2001, 12:28 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I bought a cheapie at Red Top coz it looked like it was gonna pour Friday night, so whenever you can send it is fine.

Where do you get your 1205 Arras for a buck-and-a-half?
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 02:49 PM   #10
East Tide
Slow Droppin' Skins

The rubbermaid finds striped-bass.com, home of deadheads (me and slip) and rhody peoples. Hey john hear this for time; I'm moving to the Central West End of St louis for 3 years while my girlfriend gets her doctorate. Talk about time man, yikes. No ocean. but there is Buddieweiser and Colorado play there alot!!!! Too bad I like good beer, ooops did I say that about the red white and blue, the staple!!! So thats why I am going to make this fall run count for real!!

East Tide
Old 09-03-2001, 02:49 PM   #11
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

a place around the corner, but he burned me on neptune, so i will find out if ya want, was still using my tax id

Pro Tool Club....
Old 09-03-2001, 03:49 PM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Cowboy, domesticated (well close - maybe), St-Louis & PHD, eh? If she's worth having you packup and move away from the salt - she must be one fantastic catch Dave... It sounds like you are being very supportive of her and that makes for great things... Until you return, there's always cheap flights back east...

Fortunately, my wife likes it here and has no pressing reason to uproot - especially after I showed her where we'll live in a few years - Bonnet Shores

Mike - you probably can still get the blem blanks - no structural defects - from Lami for $50-75. They are usually available around Dec/Jan and it is usually not advertised on their site or anglersworkshop. You need to e-mail them...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 05:20 AM   #13
Fishpart
Keep The Change

East Tide, the upside to MO is that there are some nice small wineries within a couple hours drive of St Louis. After being spoiled at the little places out there in the winter, I found the wineries back here a little less friendly.

There is some good smallmouth and trout fishing in the rivers if you really need a fishing fix.
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:26 PM   #14
Patrick82
Corporal Radar O'Reilly

Send a message via AIM to Patrick82
I know they aren't a sponser of this board but Mudhole.com has some blemish lamiglas blanks mentioned on the special parts of their board. They don't mention the conditions of these blanks and you have to give them a ring to get prices and details.

Patrick (StripedBassGuy@aol.com)
Patrick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 01:48 PM   #15
Saltheart

Well Dave , based on my years of experience , I'd say its time to FIND a NEW BABE!!

Forget St Louis. Heck if she really loved you , she would go to school locally. You just tell her your fishing is far more important than her education. She don't need no education , she'll be barefoot and pregnant for the next ten years anyway. What good is an education going to do her? !!

Oh yeah , I almost forgot....put the extra guide on the rod! I'd also be real careful cutting that much off the tip of a 1208. For $40 more you could get the AllStar/Breakaway 1208 and just use it as is. If I were you , I'd spring for the extra $40 if at all possible.

Last edited by Saltheart; 09-04-2001 at 03:20 PM..

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote