Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
dannyplug1

Suggestions for a GPS

any suggestions for a gps for my sit on t kayak. Ideally it would be a separate unit and not part of a sounder. That way if you have a problem you don't loose both. I would like to be a hand held that was mounted pn a ram mount but could be removed and used for hiking and hunting. It should have room to save a large amount of way points and routs on land and drifts on the water. Lastly the GPS should be waterproof. Thanks charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I've heard that many handheld GPS's are not completely waterproof and don't stand up very well to continued exposure to saltwater, so I would forcus on the true waterproofess of the unit above all else.

I have the humminbird 385ci combo sounder/gps and it's freakin awesome.

I see the advantage of getting one for mutiple uses though, so just be careful about using one on the water.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
blondterror

I also have a Humminbird... 383 (prev model) I like having both in one since it takes up less space on my Hobie... it has been great... the only challenge is the battery prong connectors... keeping them from corroding... the Humminbird is very waterproof... I know several people who have capsized their yak and the Hummingbirds keep working after being submeged

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
capecodkid

Check out my Garmin 78SC in the classifieds. Comes with a mount that can be drilled into your kayak.
capecodkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Rockport24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
I also have a Humminbird... 383 (prev model) I like having both in one since it takes up less space on my Hobie... it has been great... the only challenge is the battery prong connectors... keeping them from corroding... the Humminbird is very waterproof... I know several people who have capsized their yak and the Hummingbirds keep working after being submeged

I can personally attest to that.....unfortunately!

Had a surf landing go wrong this fall

No issue with the humminbird though! Chris - do you use dielectric grease on the connectors? that seemed to work well for me this year, granted, I've only had the thing for one season...
Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
blondterror

No... did not know about the dielectric grease.... where do you get it... Lowes/HD?

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Rockport24

I couldn't find it at HD, didn't try lowes, ended up getting some at my local hardware store. I forget what it is called exactly, but its in the electrical section by the tape and stuff. Just smear it all over the connections, the issue is if you forget its there it can make a mess when you just throw the gps unit in your car!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
ecduzitgood
time to go

Auto parts stores sell it in little single use type packages usually on the parts counter or ask for the larger can which is a better value.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote