Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Wildwood Outfitters Grumpage

Man, is it me.....or have the prices at Wildwood Outfitters gone throuigh the roof.....?? I was there last night...first off, they moved clothing upstairs and tackle downstairs....place looks like it is trying to becoms The Gap or Old Navy or something. Then I get downstairs and nearly choke over the prices for any lure.

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I thought prices were very reasonable and great selection.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Well... being a pretty good customer there... I have a semi-standing order for eels.. I will say this:
They have a pretty good selection of lures; terminal tackle is slowly coming along... prices are reasonable on some items and jacked-up on others (i.e. 9" storms) but for the most part I think they are competitive... good sales guys, friendly etc..

As far as becoming like Gap?!? I think they carry mostly outdoor clothing and such, trying to sell only fishing items is a tough buisness year-round. I think they are smart to try and branch out...

IMHO Wildwood gets the job done.. my 'home town' B&T (Sams) is now 30min out of the way, so unless I'm on island, Wildwood gets my vote...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
rockfisherman

I was in there yesterday, too. I haven't noticed the prices going up overall. I had previously asked why they moved the fishing stuff downstairs. The fellow said it was because they had more room downstairs to stock a bigger selection of tackle. As far as the upstairs looking like an outdoor Gap, yeah it does...but having seen the sporting good store (I forget the name) where the Purple Cow is now go under, Gil's Tackle close, and Top of the Dock close, whatever he needs to do to stay open is just fine by me. I think the selection and service are great. And, btw, I do not have any connection to, or financial interest of any kind in the shop.
rockfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
zacs
D'oh

anyone that can reference the sportingoods store where the puprle cow is now is alright in my book i got my first baseball glove there, bought my first pair of shin pads there, etc.... the name of the place is on the tip of my tounge and is going to drive me crazy. i think it starts with an 's' but i can't remember. it will come to me...
sorry to completely derail the tread, but fr brought up good memory.

as far as wildwood, i understand it. it is very hard running such a seasonal business. it seems like every brick and mortar tackleshop has high prices (except mikecc's M&Ds).

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Bill L

Wakefield Sports and Arms, got all my fishing there as a kid more than 30 years ago. Gils was in there too before he moved over to the mall.

I havent noticed any outgrageous prices at Wildwood (other than the Surf Hog Stuff --- (Just kidding!!!) ), and it is good to have a local shop again.
Bill L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
damgriz

white collar tackle at blue collar prices

spam...

Last edited by JohnR; 03-11-2007 at 09:13 AM..
damgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
Nebe

the one awesome thing about wildwood is that they will order anything you want if they dont carry it. If you need one pack of swivels they dont carry, or if you need 20,00o trebblehooks, they will order it for you and call you when it comes in.. now that is service.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
Krispy

I got bent over once at Wildwood, right before leaving for BI. $54 to spool a VS200 w/ PP.
They did tied on a leader for me Which the knot let go, on my 2nd cast and shot a custom plug 300 yards into the blue. Leader went 30ft, came back w/ a pigtail
Threw out their stupid customer card right there If you cant tie a knot, dont offer, even though I should know better

Last edited by Krispy; 06-26-2006 at 10:11 AM..

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
rockfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonoc
Wakefield Sports and Arms, got all my fishing there as a kid more than 30 years ago. Gils was in there too before he moved over to the mall.

I havent noticed any outgrageous prices at Wildwood (other than the Surf Hog Stuff --- (Just kidding!!!) ), and it is good to have a local shop again.
Yup...Gil was in a long, tunnel shop right next door. Those were the daze. Thanks for remembering the name. It was driving me nutz.

It is VERY good having a local shop again.
rockfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote