Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Time for change

I think it's time to change the way politicians are affiliated to a specific party. It seems people vote or back a person based upon the persons party affiliation and base their opinion not on the person but the party . I think it should be majority rules and eliminate the my team/party is better than yours type atitude people seem to have. I think this would eliminate alot of the friction that is created by the sheeple that seem to just vote for one party even when they are uninformed or even misinformed. Want fairness eliminate party designation and judge people on what they say or where they stand on issues in general.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Want fairness eliminate party designation and judge people on what they say or where they stand on issues in general.
That would be great if you could trust what politicans say,
but unfortunately they will say anything to get elected.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I think it's time to change the way politicians are affiliated to a specific party. It seems people vote or back a person based upon the persons party affiliation and base their opinion not on the person but the party . I think it should be majority rules and eliminate the my team/party is better than yours type atitude people seem to have. I think this would eliminate alot of the friction that is created by the sheeple that seem to just vote for one party even when they are uninformed or even misinformed. Want fairness eliminate party designation and judge people on what they say or where they stand on issues in general.
I wish it were possible. And it's for exactly these reasons that I loathe the two-party system. There is far too much "our team against their team" mentality.

I love watching the Parliament Meetings that are occasionally on CSPAN. Those Brits tear right into each other. However, everyone holds everyone else thoroughly responsible for their action or inaction.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I wish it were possible. And it's for exactly these reasons that I loathe the two-party system. There is far too much "our team against their team" mentality.

Judging by the lack of response I see most people don't want to give up there team. I guess it's easier to just be required to recognize the letter after the name instead of have any idea what the person is all about.
I love watching the Parliament Meetings that are occasionally on CSPAN. Those Brits tear right into each other. However, everyone holds everyone else thoroughly responsible for their action or inaction.
I would love to see everyone held responsible and work together as a whole instead of just being an 'a' hole towards any ideas from the opposite party.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 02-26-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: The green type is my opinion
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
buckman

VOTE THEM OUT. Change is good, remember. Vote out all incumbents next time. Both sides. Then they will get it. And if they don't, who cares they are gone.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
VOTE THEM OUT. Change is good, remember. Vote out all incumbents next time. Both sides. Then they will get it. And if they don't, who cares they are gone.
Significantly easier said than done. On a national level, I didn't vote for a single incumbent - on the state level, 1.

The principle issue is the two-party system, and merely one or two hot-button issues that people base who they vote for on.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Significantly easier said than done.

The principle issue is the two-party system, and merely one or two hot-button issues that people base who they vote for on.
Problem is the average American is uninformed, and dosen't have time to really pay attention to everything going on. Too busy trying to survive.

Politicians drive home on the hot button issues because they know and depend on most only reading a headline or two, and the short memories of most.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Problem is the average American is uninformed, and dosen't have time to really pay attention to everything going on. Too busy trying to survive.

Politicians drive home on the hot button issues because they know and depend on most only reading a headline or two, and the short memories of most.
Not being informed is not an excuse. If you are uninformed, then you shouldn't vote - period. The last thing we want are people voting that can't put aside enough time to evaluate the positions of each candidate, their stance on certain policies and form an educated opinion. Everything needed to be educated on an election can be read within an hour or two per week of the campaign. All the other crap is just there so a bunch of fisherman can post on a forum about how they didn't like a candidates haircut that day.

I refuse to believe that the average American does not have 2 hours per week to evaluate the candidates that lead this country. And if they can't, then the responsible thing for them to do is not show up at the polls.

After the Presidential Election, there was an interesting exit poll that I read about. These people went to various polls and asked some of the usually questions -who'd you vote for, what's your party, etc - but they also asked questions like:
"Who was the opponent of the candidate you voted for?"
"What is the name of the Vice President you voted for?"
and many other questions like that.

Can you believe that up to 5-10% of people who entered the polls could not answer the above questions and questions similar? Not to mention this was an extremely small scale, regional exit poll. I wonder what the numbers would look like nation-wide.

Now, take into consideration the winning margin of both Bush's victories and Obama's victory - all 3 of which had popular vote differences <10%.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Not being informed is not an excuse. If you are uninformed, then you shouldn't vote - period. The last thing we want are people voting that can't put aside enough time to evaluate the positions of each candidate, their stance on certain policies and form an educated opinion. Everything needed to be educated on an election can be read within an hour or two per week of the campaign. All the other crap is just there so a bunch of fisherman can post on a forum about how they didn't like a candidates haircut that day.

I refuse to believe that the average American does not have 2 hours per week to evaluate the candidates that lead this country. And if they can't, then the responsible thing for them to do is not show up at the polls.

After the Presidential Election, there was an interesting exit poll that I read about. These people went to various polls and asked some of the usually questions -who'd you vote for, what's your party, etc - but they also asked questions like:
"Who was the opponent of the candidate you voted for?"
"What is the name of the Vice President you voted for?"
and many other questions like that.

Can you believe that up to 5-10% of people who entered the polls could not answer the above questions and questions similar? Not to mention this was an extremely small scale, regional exit poll. I wonder what the numbers would look like nation-wide.

Now, take into consideration the winning margin of both Bush's victories and Obama's victory - all 3 of which had popular vote differences <10%.
All good points. I agree as good citizens people should spend a few hours a week reading, attending town council meetings and writing or calling their represetatives.

However the reality is, from what i have seen, with two people working in a family to make ends meet, picking up and driving kids to day care, school, etc., maintaining a house and trying to find time for family and all it entails, uses up most of their time.

I agree uneducated voters should do the responsible thing and not vote. The reality here though is, as long as there are "hand out programs " and politicians knowing they will draw votes by pushing them, and people think they will get something for nothing, they will vote for whoever will give them the most.

Politicians know human nature and play it like a violin.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
ecduzitgood
time to go

I would love to see some sort of screening process to eliminate the unimformed but so far this is still a free country. I still would like to eliminate party affiliation, that might help weed out the uninformed. I also feel people would judge the politicians by what they do and actually make somewhat of a difference when elections come around again. This would also cancel out any games that are played with reguards to districts.