Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Redsoxticket

Stripped oil pan threads

I stripped my oil pan threads and I was looking forward to fish. (Camry 01 V6)

There is a steel section cover over the aluminum oil pan. I'am thinking of getting the next higher size oil pan drain plug and then retapping the oil pan to this thread size.
What do you think any suggestions ?
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Works sometimes plus be sure to add a good gasket to the drainplug. Must times when JippyLube and the like stripped out a pan, they paid for the oilpan to get replaced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket
I stripped my oil pan threads and I was looking forward to fish. (Camry 01 V6)

There is a steel section cover over the aluminum oil pan. I'am thinking of getting the next higher size oil pan drain plug and then retapping the oil pan to this thread size.
What do you think any suggestions ?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
fishaholic18
Finally

Replace the pan!!!!!!!
Don't take a chance on having the drain plug fall out..Seen it too many times with those aftermarket thread repair kits...
No oil=Blown motor

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
redneck24
WTF

especially on a toyota

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Redsoxticket

I picked up a single oversized piggy back plug. This plug is oversized 1x and threads (outer) into the aluminum oil pan there is another plug (inner) that is in the center which is the one that gets removed when changing the oil. I would use a wrench to hold the outer plug in place while removing the inner plug to drain the oil. I will put blue thread sealer which is the removable type to the outer plug.

JohnR ===> I purchased the piggyback plug at NAPA and repaced the plastic gasket that came with plug with a fiber gasket that Valvoline place gave me because it was better

The single oversize plug with no piggyback I can see causing problems
because the plug will always be removed from the soft aluminum.

I will be installing the plug once the oil pan is dry so blue thread lock will work properly.

I priced the oil pan for my car at Toyota for $157.00, I probably can get a 20% discount.

I may replace the oil pan but I'm I will try this first because it may work and give me more time to shop for a oil pan and mechanic. I use a general mechanic but if a Toyota mechanics labor is the same I may go with the Toyota since they do this more often.

I can't believe I crossed thread. I guess I was in a rush to go fishing last nite and also I felt the bolt cross thread but the resistance was to small that I ignored it. I should be shot.

Last edited by Redsoxticket; 06-11-2005 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Redsoxticket

I installed the oversized piggyback plug and I do not trust it. I will definitely get a new oil pan this week.

PS I sliced my arm in the meantime there goes another nite of fishing.