Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Hookedagain

Jack plane

Is there a market for the older Jack planes? I have several and I haven't used them in years. I'll keep one or two but I have no use for the others. One is a Craftsman in near mint condition. For a while I was grabbing them along with other antique type tool and now....what do I do with them?
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
Nebe

I’d put them on eBay
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I’d put them on eBay
Thats what I was thinking, I will probably clean up any that need it and start listing them. If the first one sells I'll keep going.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

I’d look at sold prices and see what people are paying more for
I have a whole set from block to jointer and haven’t used any but the block since I got a power plane years ago.
They might be in style now, they’re cordless.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I’d look at sold prices and see what people are paying more for
I have a whole set from block to jointer and haven’t used any but the block since I got a power plane years ago.
They might be in style now, they’re cordless.
I did a little poking around to see their value, but thats good advice.

You're right, if its not cordless these kids don't want to use it. I had one of the kids on the job ask me a few weeks back...why do you have so many extension cords. I couldn't help but laugh, I pointed at all the tools on the shelves and told him because all those have cords as well.
I have a bunch as well, and like yourself I mostly use the block plane, however I do use the rabbit planes quite often.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
spence

Also could put them on Craigslist. There are always people looking for old tools in good condition. I have a friend with a huge collection of antique planes.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Also could put them on Craigslist. There are always people looking for old tools in good condition. I have a friend with a huge collection of antique planes.
I have one on CL now. From what I can find its a Craftsman from the late 50s early 60s.Found one that sold on Ebay for $218...
Old 01-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
ed morini

Jack Plane

If memory recalls the Stanley 5's came in 5, 51/4 and 5 1/2 sizes and were the next size up from the #3 and #4, 4 1/2 smooth planes. I'd keep it depending on the size they make a good shooting(sp) plane. Their values fluctuate depending on size, year and condition and except in a few isolated cases get average pricing. The problem with Stanley planes is that there were so many made for so long a time that they literally every where you look.
I wouldn't let it go as it would be short money, rather have it than not

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed morini View Post
If memory recalls the Stanley 5's came in 5, 51/4 and 5 1/2 sizes and were the next size up from the #3 and #4, 4 1/2 smooth planes. I'd keep it depending on the size they make a good shooting(sp) plane. Their values fluctuate depending on size, year and condition and except in a few isolated cases get average pricing. The problem with Stanley planes is that there were so many made for so long a time that they literally every where you look.
I wouldn't let it go as it would be short money, rather have it than not

Ed
I hear what you're saying Ed, I have several sizes. One in particular is a Craftsman made by Millers Falls, looks like it just came out of the box. Near perfect condition. I do have a few Stanleys and a few other Millers Falls. Most are 12' & 14" but I have one 18" or maybe a 20". They are all in nice condition with the exception of one. I just don't have the need for them, or the shop to use them in any more. I will keep the long one and one of the others.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
ed morini

Stanley

Millers Falls made great planes. I can remember going to Spags in Worcester, when I was starting out. Got a Langdon miter box(still with me) and 2, No 9 smooth planes with the two piece lever cap. I would argue these smoothers are a step up from a Stanley 4, and recently have seen quite an uptick in value. I did swap out the iron for a Hock on one of them and it has performed very well.
I have quite a few planes in my till and while I don't use them as much as I used to, when I do certain operations they are like old friends.
I can understand your desire to lighten the load but In my experience I've always experienced sellers remorse when they're gone
Old 01-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #11
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed morini View Post
Millers Falls made great planes. I can remember going to Spags in Worcester, when I was starting out. Got a Langdon miter box(still with me) and 2, No 9 smooth planes with the two piece lever cap. I would argue these smoothers are a step up from a Stanley 4, and recently have seen quite an uptick in value. I did swap out the iron for a Hock on one of them and it has performed very well.
I have quite a few planes in my till and while I don't use them as much as I used to, when I do certain operations they are like old friends.
I can understand your desire to lighten the load but In my experience I've always experienced sellers remorse when they're gone
Haven’t heard that name in years..
Did the same when I started out from CC more than once Ed..
Nail picks , flat bars, cords, saws.... and on ...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
ed morini

stanley

And not to mention all my 704's 06's squidders and the SS series
It was a poor mans Nirvana
There are no bags at at Spags, only boxes
Cash only
But for me, it was the tools and machines that were sold at considerable discounts. I had a Millers fall circular saw I used for years paid 25$
Was very sad when he dies and the kids took over...they lasted only a few years
Old 01-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
puppet

Spags was awesome. The first superstore. "Come on down to Spags"

I bought my first pair of waders there. Heavy redball chestwaders. Great waders.

puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
redlite

Spag's has no bags
Still some of those bumper stickers kickin around my parents house
Place was awesome. Esp popcorn and dinner at the ground round out front after our yearly family trip
Place was always a mad house then you'd go next store to the school house where furniture esp grandfather clocks and it was peaceful
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #15
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Loved Spags. Use to go there with the family and fill a station wagon with "stuff".

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:12 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

When I was a kid in the 60s my mom would leave us in the fishing section and disappoint us with what we could get.
I’ve made up for my disappointment, though I’m sure my children have some dissatisfaction also.
Poor kids
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote